Fox Mange transferring to dogs ?

JRoe

Hi there, I've been reading the interesting forum about dogs being used for retreiving foxes.
Recently I've lamped a few very mangy foxes. I'm led to believe that this is very contagious. Has anyone any experience or advice on this? - - I'm very cautious about letting my dog near any fox because of this.

I agree and made the mistake of throwing dead foxes in the back of the truck with my spaniels. even allowing for the fact they werent in direct contact one of my girls has problems with mange on and off.

Can definately be transffered to dogs. I used to live on a small equestrian plot in Essex and once had a dog that was a real ******* for rolling in fox ****. Of course the dog caught mange - 3 bad outbreaks in fact. Fortunately an old farrier who lived up the road could get some foul smelling tar-like stuff that would cure it...at least for a time. I believe that the old horse trainers use it for when the horses roll in the fox ****.

I now live surrounded by sheep farms so won't tolerate any foxes near the home or surrounding fields.

Yes definatly transfers to dog's. Guy i know's dog caught it he thinks from runnign through cover..... Vet said it's some sort ot mite or something either way is a bugger to shift.

I frontline all my terriers , who work fox on a regular basis , ive never had a mange problem . I think its down to frontline killing the mite , i always bury any fox with mange on the stop . Caramosa ointment helps shift it and helps with most minor scapes

Yes dogs can easily catch fox mange. Frontline has no licence claim against Sarcoptes mites. The better product to use would be Stronghold or Advocate monthly. They both are effective at killing the parasite and do the dogs for fleas, ear mites and roundworms. Both excellent product that are safe and effective.

Maybe ive been luckey then , where do you get those two products from and what form do they come in and what sort of price are they

Ask your vet for Alugan it is a wash I put it in a spray bottle and wash the dogs down rubbing it into the belly fur and below the legs where the mites like warm and wet,

Let the dog dry with out them licking the Alugan isn't to good for them I take the for a walk easiest way .

If they are in kennels do them as well.

It's just a form of sheep dip from what I'm led to believe .

Just checked the vet meds the alugan is discontinued.

Aludex is now the new form of the above ,always happens when you get something that works ban it.

Last edited:
Maybe ive been luckey then , where do you get those two products from and what form do they come in and what sort of price are they

Both are prescription only medicines and can be supplied by your vet or bought on prescription. They are both in the form of pipettes applied to the back of the dog's neck. Cost will vary by region but it's similar to Frontline Combo, the Advocate is a similar price to Stronghold.

I use Stronghold on my dog.

Ask your vet for Alugan it is a wash I put it in a spray bottle and wash the dogs down rubbing it into the belly fur and below the legs where the mites like warm and wet,
Aludex? [I fondly remember Alugan, no longer available AFAIK}

Aludex is nasty stuff and only effective for up to 7 days. Really quite bad for the person using it. Very toxic to fish - you musn't let treated dogs in watercourses. To cure a dog with sarcoptic mange may take 6 weeks of weekly baths.

The spot on's are far easier and safer! It does work.

I was very surprised to read in a recent article by Mike Powell, a very experienced keeper, that he allows his dog to retrieve foxes. It's definitely not something I would do.

fraser

From bitter experience it can definately be transffered to dogs, my GSP caught it around 4 years or so ago! It was easily treated by the vet, and cleared up fairly quickly. Not nice though.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:
Benzel benzuate (sorry about the spelling ) White liquid cover just over half the dog leave on for a few days was off then do the other half.ps dont do the full dog it will die.

Aludex? [I fondly remember Alugan, no longer available AFAIK}

Aludex is nasty stuff and only effective for up to 7 days. Really quite bad for the person using it. Very toxic to fish - you musn't let treated dogs in watercourses. To cure a dog with sarcoptic mange may take 6 weeks of weekly baths.

The spot on's are far easier and safer! It does work.

Agree with that. Shame about Alugan too. Benzyl Benzoate is not effective enough against Sarcoptic mange. Stick to spot ons.

About 5 to 6 years back we had a big big problem in this part of Kent with Sarcoptic Mange. The fox population was riddled with it and this became very apparent to myself when I went out to emtpy a bin into the dustbin outside my cottage in the middle of December, only to see a Fox standing there with no hair on it what so ever and just skin and bone. Needless to say I went back to get the shotgun and dispatched it and with shovel put it on the bonfire and cremated it.

Following this my German Shepherd caught mange, and so did every other dog living on the estate at the time.

So yes it is easily transferable and I think I am right in saying humans can also catch it? I believe its similar to scabies, but I am sure someone on the site is far more of an authority on this than I am.

The solution to wash your dog in stinks to high heaven, I believe it is an organo phosphate like sheep dip? but again I am possibly wrong.

Best

Sikamalc

Yes our Malc you sure can catch it (scabies) either from a infected fox or dog
Off other humans too. A specific problem in the old Borstals,lol.
Strongholds a expencive game especialy if you own a kennel full of earth dogs.
I think the last lot i brought was £90 for the dogs and you need to keep it up regular to protect the dogs.

Thanks everyone for the interesting answers. - - I think the best plan is to try and keep dogs away from Foxes unless you're sure it's not prevalent in your area.

I always handle cage caught foxes with nitrile gloves straight into 2 bags and tie them up before they go in the boot to be buried. Had one 2 weeks ago that had a mangy tail. Tis horible.

My Lab rolled in fox crap and she picked up mange at 12 months old, took 4 trips to the vet and almost six months to shift it, he said she was allergic to grass hence no fur on her belly, was she hell. When treating you also have to treat any other dog in contact, my other dog is a collie, she did not appreciate being washed/shampooed/ rinsed every few days, collies hate water !!.

A

Back