PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hale

DeerStalker Brent
20-01-2010, 17:12
Anybody know anything about these rifles??

Thanks

Brithunter
20-01-2010, 19:25
Well I may be able to help, I have a few old Parker-Hale catalogues here and an interest in Parker-Hale rifles, what is you with to know?

Dalua
20-01-2010, 19:41
As far as I'm aware, they are well-made, solid rifles made on Spanish (or maybe Yugoslav: not sure) Mauser actions with Birmingham barrels.

My stalking pal has one in .308. Seems to work!

DeerStalker Brent
20-01-2010, 22:02
ok, i was just wondering why they are quite cheap and a good looking rifle. Do you know where a good place to get them from is?

Brent

Dalua
20-01-2010, 22:16
They'll tend to be be second-hand: so any reliable vendor of s/h rifles who happens to have one.

The same cautions apply as to any other second-hand rifle purchase!

The Mole
21-01-2010, 12:05
Wish I'd never traded in my old Midland :( It may have been cheap and basic but it was a very accurate and reliable work tool.

Robin
21-01-2010, 16:52
I had a Parker Hale Safari in 308, used it for over twenty years, never let me down. Easy to strip, not to heavy about 7lbs,always shot within 2inch at 100yds, which was good enough for my needs at the time.
You will find most good gunsmiths probably have one or two in, been part exchanged, as I did.

Orion
22-01-2010, 20:25
There's a couple of Parker Hale .270 Safari rifles on the 'Did not sell' list from the Holt's 10th January sealed bid sale. Lot 3514 reserve at 50, lot 3525 at 70.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com//Full//573/31573.jpg

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=S1035+++3525+&refno=+++31573&saletype=

Brithunter
23-01-2010, 15:27
Hmmm that looks like a Model 1000 and not a Safari. Those I have seen actually marked as a Safari have much more curved triggers. The plastic type grip cap was used on the Std Model 1000 the 1100M and the Midland 2100 but that's not a Midland as the bolt is Mauser 98 and not the Springfield type of the Midland. We need to see the whole stock to be sure though.

Prices vary widly I have notice a couple of Midlands on Guntrader for the 400+ mark :shock: the serial number and prefix don't seem to help identify the Parker-Hale models unlike on the BSA's.

Craig s
02-04-2010, 23:10
This is my Parker Hale .308, i don't know what model it is, but i know its in mint condition and shoots sub 1 inch at 100m.

How do i upload my pic?

Craig s
02-04-2010, 23:19
Here we go, my Parker Hale .308

Brithunter
02-04-2010, 23:33
This is my Parker Hale .308, i don't know what model it is, but i know its in mint condition and shoots sub 1 inch at 100m.

How do I upload my pic?

On way is to use the insert image tab, which is the 4th tab in nect to the envalope tab, another is to use the URL address:-

this bit needs the address in it[/I] I reversed the second square bracket so it will show up other wise you would see a red X. Hope that helps a bit.

Craig s
02-04-2010, 23:39
On way is to use the insert image tab, which is the 4th tab in nect to the envalope tab, another is to use the URL address:-

this bit needs the address in it[/I] I reversed the second square bracket so it will show up other wise you would see a red X. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks, i seem to of managed it, just lol

Brithunter
03-04-2010, 11:02
As I just posted in the rifle photo thread I am not familar with that model.

flytie
03-04-2010, 11:13
There is another web-forum (UK V....) where the Parker Hale's seem to have developed quite a following. I think the actions on some models seem quite sought after, from what i read. There was a piece in shooting times a few months back about them.

ft

mereside
03-04-2010, 17:11
667hi deer stalker brent,
i baught mine from the london gunroom he was a very nice chap it is in exellent condition and hardly been used very accurate . because i was on a budget and it was my first centre fire i decided that i could upgrade later but after oiling the stock its turned out i have fallen in love, the trigger is adjustable and feels great the stock is a lovely hardwood. all round a good solid rifle .here is a link to the seller .http://www.londongunroom.com/firearms.htm
i have no connection with him just found him nice to deal with and i would go back in the future.

sako85
06-04-2010, 22:16
If anyone is interested in PH's I can normally find them for under 150 as round here they are as popular as a poke in the eye. My gundealer says he hasn't been asked for one since the 80's! If you're going to buy a gun and keep for a few years why not buy something decent instead of a cheaply built crock of badger crap!:roll:

And yes I'm now preparing for the incoming PH fan club who will defend their brooms till the end:lol:

P.s- don't take it to heart, only messing

sako85
06-04-2010, 22:17
P.P.S- don't get me started on Sabatti's, Mossbergs etc!

Jason
07-04-2010, 09:52
Use to have a PH in .270. Had it glass bedded and action worked on by a smith. The rifle was very accurate and would out shot my 30-06 Browning when I had it and that could group sub 1 inch at 100m. Sold it because I needed space in my cabinet shame really.

It's still for sale and I must admit I do keep thinking about buying it back.

Brithunter
07-04-2010, 10:59
What ever you do don't buy a Parker-Hale as they are such poor quality they cannot hit the side of barn as this photo shows:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339377747.jpg
It certainly didn't like the Speer 200 grain load I tried those are the holes spread at the top but it does seem to like the 130 Grain Hornady SP and BLC-2. Oh I should add that was onyl at 82 yards ;).

The rifle is a P-H 1100 lwt in .308 and the bedding is as it came from the factory and at that tijme it only had a preiod NIkko Sterling 4x32 Special Sporting scope with picket post and cross hair reticle fitted:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339209864.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339209837.jpg

I only adjusted the trigger to my liking and removed the damaged factory finish and applied an oil finsh:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339207110.jpg

Of course if others don't buy them then there are more for me :-P.

Ahhh sako 85 may I ask you in what area your reside?

I might need to come scouting gunshops ;) as there are a few models I am missing :oops:. Of course Parker-Hales are seen as "unfashionable" it seems to the majority of the stalking fraternity :roll: which is all well and good for me as it keeps the prices down :D although I don't often see them as those prices mentioned on these forums :cry: I did get lucky and pay 95 for a 1200V but the others all cost over double that :cry:.

vizslamad
07-04-2010, 12:24
Nothing wrong with them, both myself and Adamant shoot Parker Hales and have no problems with them and can you believe it. A deer shot with one of these is just as dead as the one shot by say a Blazer or any other make you wish to mention. I dont think they care, do you?

John.

PS Brithunter, nice job on the stock for one second I thought it was another of those top of the range jobbies!:lol::lol::lol:

Brithunter
07-04-2010, 21:24
Thank you. All I did was use Nitomors to remove the old chipped finish then de-whisker the stock and allow to dry totally then applied a couple fo coats of Red Oil (Alkanet root oil) to bring the grain contrast out then use the Stock oil that came from the stock finsh kit. I angled the rifle in the phot to the light caught the grain well. Being a normal production piece the opposite side is much plainer........................ Oh well can't have it all I suppose. Once it warms up i have the P-H 1200C to do as it has soem small compression marks in the wood that were there when I got it so............................... You will love that one as it has tiger striping all through the stock.

enfieldspares
08-04-2010, 21:20
My gundealer says he hasn't been asked for one since the 80's! If you're going to buy a gun and keep for a few years why not buy something decent instead of a cheaply built crock of badger crap!

Ha!

Parker Hale really did themselves no favours with the "*******ised Weatherby" look in the 1970s and yet they were good rifles.

I have probably - with the 1100 Lighweight - one of the better looking models the M81 Classic. But by the time it arrived effectively the day had ended for P-H.

Amberdog
08-04-2010, 22:05
My first rifle was a super safari parker hale in 243 I wish i had kept it bloody good rifle and a clasic look
amberdog

Brithunter
09-04-2010, 10:45
Ha!

Parker Hale really did themselves no favours with the "*******ised Weatherby" look in the 1970s and yet they were good rifles.

I have probably - with the 1100 Lighweight - one of the better looking models the M81 Classic. But by the time it arrived effectively the day had ended for P-H.

While I have to agree that Parker-Hale were remiss in not updating the style of their rifles. Not only should the angular fore end tip have been dropped but so should have the white spacers also been binned. The late 1200's have a very good stock design and style but sadly they retained the white spacers :doh::-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/P-H%201200C/PICT0083.jpg
Much better (whoops sorry for the out of focus photo :oops:) than the angular "California style" such as this. Hmmm not so sure about the Scotch or skip line chequering :???::-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/1209597/50936978.jpg

Now compare the two stock styles:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/1209597/31348185.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/P-H%201200C/PICT0093.jpg

Whilst both are comfortable, to me anyway ;), the lower more modern looking of the two is far more pleasing to the eye don't you think. Actually the Supers stock is more comfortable to my left hand than the 1100 Lwts especially for a standing shot. The fore stock is too thick and tapers too quickly. It really needs to be trimmer like the old BSA stocks but again that's just for my preference.

Now one could always just round the angular fore end off on the older supers should one wish ;) that is if one is not worried about their being collectable!

If you're going to buy a gun and keep for a few years why not buy something decent instead of a cheaply built crock of badger crap!

Now I could not agree with you more which is why I will not give house room to either a Weatherby or a Remington 700, 710, 770. Now if I came across a nice model 30s at the right price that would be a different matter ;).

What I find strange is that stalkers will pay thousands to buy a rifle that shoots no better and often worse than a Parker-Hale :???: however I do think P-H should have selected better wood for their rifles and charged a bit more, the finish on the rifles themselves was excellent and better than a lot of the "Modern crop" offered today, their trigger is excellent and hard to beat really. The action is pure Mauser 98 which it seems some bemoan especially bolt slop at full retraction. This is not a fault of Parker-Hale but the design of the Mauser 98 itself. Funnily enough it never seems to be mentioned as a negative of Rigbys of FN rifles only when talking about Parker-Hales :roll:.However one looks at it they had to get over the stigma which for some reason was attached to their rifles same as CZ/Brno has had to contend with where they're looked down upon by quite a large section of the stalking communitiy.

cumbrian
10-04-2010, 17:16
I have a PH Midland in 243 and think it shoots really well with homeloads 55 to 80 grain , but struggles with 100gr , twist rates I would imagine
atb Brian

Sam
10-04-2010, 20:55
Sorry Chaps. I just think they are ugly :shock:. If you like a wooden gun I would go for a 1903 Mannlicher, or whenever they were built. I myself am a plastic/stainless kinda guy, but hey meat and poision and all that.

atb

Sam

Sam
10-04-2010, 22:40
1. Im pretty certain they were made in spain. I dislike the Spainish - (they steal our fish and stab cows)
2. I just cant see the point of a wooden~blued gun. Why?

atb

Sam

(If you are Spainish, thats a shame)

Brithunter
10-04-2010, 23:18
Sorry Chaps. I just think they are ugly :shock:. If you like a wooden gun I would go for a 1903 Mannlicher, or whenever they were built. I myself am a plastic/stainless kinda guy, but hey meat and poision and all that.

atb

Sam

Sorry Sam but you lack of knowledge is showing :roll: the Mannlicher Model 1903 was chambered for the 6.5x54MS cartridge and was available in a number of styles including the sevtte full stock. It's an all time classic deer rifle and cartridge. Properly called the Schoenauer is has a superbly smooth rotary magazine. Now the Schoenauer was also available in models 1905 (8x56 Mannlicher) 1908 (9x56 Mannlicher), , 1910 (9.5x56 Mannlicher, also known as the .375 RNE 2 1/4"), 1924, 1930 and 1952. Hope I didn't miss any out and that I got the models and chamberings correct :oops: there was a slightly earlier model 1900 which I know almost nothing about.

The model numbers are when they were introduced ;) my 1903 was made prior to 1924 but exactly when we don't know. After 1924 I am told the dropped the bi-directional magazine floor plate to cut costs.

And Sam Parker-Hales were made in Birmingham although P-H never made the actions they brought them in and yes they did buy some from Santa Barbra in Spain which were then finished in Birmingham England.

When you neglect you sooper dooper stainles and plastic toy and it rusts don't tell me as I will laugh at you for being so niave :lol:. Plastic is cold and soul-less it also adds to your carbon footprint being made from oil. Oh and when the plastic breaks down in years to come I will find that amusing too :lol: I won't have a plastic stock :D.

Nice wood will last for a century or more with moderate care :cool: and I have a couple that are over that age and funnily enough the bedding is still true. No plastics or putty just careful inletting by acraftsman into a properly seasoned bit of walnut :cool:.

Muir
10-04-2010, 23:57
Meat and Poison indeed. Over here we say that some peoples taste is all in their mouth. Plastic and stainless! Give me warm walnut and carbon steel any day.~Muir

Sam
11-04-2010, 10:45
Your right Brit. I have little knowledge of old guns, and a limited knowledge of new guns. I never proffesed otherwise:D. You seem to be quite the expert on such things - I bow to your knowledge, honestly I do. I see a rifle as a tool. I dont really care about how it looks number one concern for me is putting deer on the floor, I am not a gun person -I am a "hunter" I use it because its more humane than a bow. I am also lazy, if I could get away without cleaning my gun I would, simples, I would rather be stalking than cleaning guns.

Sam

Brithunter
11-04-2010, 11:15
Sam,

You seem to be quite the expert on such things

Nope I may know more than some but I know less than I would like to and others do!

I don't mind cleaning guns actually it does not take long and I have always had an interest in guns since a little boy and it's grown as I have. Yes I love hunting but I like shooting too. Not the competative type I am happy testing out new loads. different guns and just learning new techniques. As I like new challenges I fully intend to get proficient with sporting aperture sights and hunt with them.

Oh I also do a bit of archery and have a quite nice Re-curve, now that's modern with an alloy riser and carbon foam limbs but then again that's a totally different concept for me.

Tyke
11-04-2010, 17:13
I can understand the attraction of a stainless/ synthetic rifle [I'm still considering one], but as it ages it just looks increasingly scruffy, where as a nicely oiled walnut stock if properly cared for can look better as it develops a depth of finish. I suppose the s/ s version is like the overalls a keeper wears all week & the walnut & blued action are the shoot day tweeds. There does seem to be a belief held by some that the modern s/s combo is more accurate & will out shoot the traditional wood & blue, now if the wood has warped due to moisture etc then this will be true, but other wise, say with a fully floated barrel, then surely both will shoot the same, all other factors being equal?

Am I wrong & clinging to the aethestic appeal of the traditional rifle? Or, is there a degree of 'hype' & marketing surrounding the latest trends?

Regards, Tyke.

Muir
11-04-2010, 18:54
Your right Brit. I have little knowledge of old guns, and a limited knowledge of new guns. I never proffesed otherwise:D. You seem to be quite the expert on such things - I bow to your knowledge, honestly I do. I see a rifle as a tool. I dont really care about how it looks number one concern for me is putting deer on the floor, I am not a gun person -I am a "hunter" I use it because its more humane than a bow. I am also lazy, if I could get away without cleaning my gun I would, simples, I would rather be stalking than cleaning guns.

Sam

Good Grief! Are we supposed to be cleaning those things, too???:shock:~Muir

flytie
11-04-2010, 19:00
Am I wrong & clinging to the aethestic appeal of the traditional rifle? Or, is there a degree of 'hype' & marketing surrounding the latest trends?

Regards, Tyke.

No Tyke, I don't think you are! I look at nice wood and love the feel and the look of it. I wanted a Sako 75 deluxe but by the time my FAC came through I could only get 85's and for more money too. So I bought a plastic fantastic 75. But it does not stop me appreciating, and wanting, a nice bit of timber on a rifle. It took me ages to find a shotgun with nice wood, but I did.

One of these days i will have a traditional rifle, but I can understand those who do not want to spend the extra on a nicely figured piece of walnut. Especially if they are using it hard, or letting clients use it.

There are an increasing amount of people i know who are buying old Parker Hales, not all of which have nice wood. But their accuracy makes me wonder if the rifle industry has just been re-inventing the wheel for the last 30 years to get us to part with our hard earned cash? It's like the Sako's, are they getting better, or more profitable? I know what i think ;)

ft

Brithunter
11-04-2010, 19:23
There are an increasing amount of people i know who are buying old Parker Hales, not all of which have nice wood. But their accuracy makes me wonder if the rifle industry has just been re-inventing the wheel for the last 30 years to get us to part with our hard earned cash? It's like the Sako's, are they getting better, or more profitable? I know what i think

Ahhhhh flytie,

We might share the same line of thought. I often feel there should be an open season "accountants" :mad: they have ruined many a nice product by their insistance of savings and cost cuttign to "improve" the bottom line :roll:.

"ALL HAIL THE GREAT GOD EXCESSIVE PROFIT!"

Thar
11-04-2010, 19:54
I can now appreciate both styles of rifle, my first ones was walnut and blued steel, I really wanted the practicality of the stainless synthetic rifle and over time that all my rifles became such animals, in fact one has a titanium action. “Functionality has a beauty all of its own.” For a while I could see no reason for a wood/blued rifle for stalking, and I know that Browning is only importing S/S stalking rifles.

However I am now starting to think about owning one traditional rifle just to take out on nice summer days, I have recently brought two English shotguns one a hammer gun which I quite fancy shooting over my pointer in a 18th century style.

I have quite enjoyed Brit’s post on his old rifles despite the PH/Midland I had was nothing but trouble.

ATB

Tahr

Brithunter
11-04-2010, 22:20
Thank you tahr. I believe it depends on the care and usage of previous owners can have a lot to do with how well a used rifle shoots. For example I have one rifle which has not given me the precison in grouping I was expecting. it's an on going project that one as is the 25-06 which I intend taking to Steves workshop for him to give a good looking over before we decide what can be done and what should be done to improve it's consistancy. I have a feeling that the bedding requires a little attention :oops:.

While it has given gouping that would be perfectly acceptable for a factory std rifle I am sure it can do better and there is the little point of the large shift in POI with a bi-pod fitted to be addressed. To me it's all part of the learning process and part of the fun although it does make you feel like tearing ones hair out at times :roll:.

Now years ago I did range test a Mannlicher SSG with the thoughts of buying it. Chambered in 7x64 it was very accurate but I just could not get round that cold feeling plastic handle they put on it. I ended up buying a Ruger No1B in 300 win mag instead :cool:. That rifle is gone but the scope that was on it remains here. it had a Leupold Vari X 111 2.5-8 on it and the price was 28 more then the scope cost.

Now for my next stalk I am tossing up whether to take the 59 vintage BSA Majestic Featherweight in .270 or the much later BSA CF2 in 7x57 :cool:.

Muir
12-04-2010, 00:07
I love old walnut...or maple or arctic birch for that matter. There is something in every dent and scratch that marks every hunt in the guns past. I can't help feel that that some DNA from all the previous owners is embedded in the wood, and that every hunter who used the rifle before me is now hunting with me. Sound creepy? Maybe. But tell me that if you were using Karamojo Bell's .275 on a hunt you wouldn't somehow sense the Man looking over your shoulder at every shot.

Stainless and fiberglass just doesn't do that for me.~Muir

flytie
12-04-2010, 12:18
There is a gun on guntrader at the moment that I covet;

"Description
Originally 6.5x54, this rifle has been re-chambered for the modern 6.5x55 round and re-proofed in Birmingham. The rifle has the original 1 in 8.5 twist rate which means that it can comfortably handle bullet weights up to 160 grain. The scope is mounted on swing off mounts and there are the usual iron sights, the rear sight being stand and fold. There is a double set trigger and shotgun style safety. It is fully engraved on the action, bolt handle and metal forend tip together with a roe buck on the trigger guard and a red stag on the magazine floor plate. This is a superb, classic woodland stalking rifle in excellent good condition with a clean bore and shoots well. Offers will be considered."

It is heartbreakingly lovely.

ft

link; http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/

finnbear270
03-05-2010, 11:43
Just had a mate round with his new to him,......Parker - Hale .270Win, serial no S *****, Recoil lug has K 5 on it, barrel only has the usual 19 tons per inch & a repeat of the calibre wording, & just a small circle with an illegible mark within it, stock is a nice piece of wood, oil finished not glossy muck, with an interesting fore end shape a flat sharp edged palm swell, chequered, & a buffalo head & a bit of decoration embossed on the floorplate cover, any ideas Kev???

Brithunter
03-05-2010, 13:05
Do you mean this shape forestock by any chance:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/Foreendprofile.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/LHSBCLge.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/ForeendChequeringBC.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/FloorPlate.jpg

The head is a Rams head. If it's like that then it's a 1100 Deluxe. If not Photos would help ;).

finnbear270
03-05-2010, 13:41
That's the one Kev!, don't know why I said Buffalo! :D :oops:, think he paid 60.00 for it, loaned him some primed sized brass & a seater die, with a bag of Remmy 130 grain soft point flat base to try her out, he has some N160 lying around so he should be good to go later!

Brithunter
03-05-2010, 13:59
That's the one Kev!, don't know why I said Buffalo! :D :oops:, think he paid 60.00 for it, loaned him some primed sized brass & a seater die, with a bag of Remmy 130 grain soft point flat base to try her out, he has some N160 lying around so he should be good to go later!

think he paid 60.00 for it :shock: Stop Thief................and tell him I hate him :mad: :drool:.

matt_hooks
27-11-2010, 23:55
Hmmm. I have the exact same rifle, in .243 Win, just missing the engraving on the magazine floor plate, which is completely plain on my rifle. Any ideas as to what model she is? I'm thinking maybe a model 1100 lightweight?

I paid 200 including 20 rounds of 100gr RWS soft tip, and she shoots most sweetly, I'm very chuffed as it's my first cf rifle. I'm thinking of getting her screw cut for a mod, how do they do when moderated?

flytie
28-11-2010, 10:04
I am going to use this thread, which i had forgottton, as an excuse to post the pictures of my M.81 Classic P-H (again!).

I have the new mounts & rings (weaver and the 7x50 S&B) fitted, I should pick up the ammunition and cleaning gear tomorrow, then I can see how she shoots!!

Then I will take it apart, steam out the small knocks, and re-finish the stock with a traditional oil finish.

ft

ezzy6.5
28-11-2010, 11:25
Flytie,
Thats a pretty rifle, i used to have one in .308 but it didn't have quite as well figured wood on it. funilly enough i bought it from F.A Anderson at a game fair about 12 years ago and it came with a lovely little Weaver 3-9x40. I wish i new what happened to it, it was a sweet shooting little rifle.
Regards, Ezzy

Brithunter
28-11-2010, 14:55
Hmmm. I have the exact same rifle, in .243 Win, just missing the engraving on the magazine floor plate, which is completely plain on my rifle. Any ideas as to what model she is? I'm thinking maybe a model 1100 lightweight?

I paid 200 including 20 rounds of 100gr RWS soft tip, and she shoots most sweetly, I'm very chuffed as it's my first cf rifle. I'm thinking of getting her screw cut for a mod, how do they do when moderated?

Nope it's an 1100 deluxe as the 1100 Lwt looks like this:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339209413.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339207170.jpg
This is after the chipped factory finish was removed and an oiled one applied hence the lighter colour.

I have a 1200 V with the smooth floor plate and the 1100 Lwt has one. The floor pates seem to vary embossed or not with year and not model. This si just my observation and not a proven fact by published means. i.e Parker-Hale catalogues.

In my view it would be a shame to have the foresight ramp removed and the barrel cut. but it's your rifle so :(.

Bashing Bambi
28-11-2010, 20:31
Do you mean this shape forestock by any chance:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/Foreendprofile.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/LHSBCLge.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/ForeendChequeringBC.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/FloorPlate.jpg

The head is a Rams head. If it's like that then it's a 1100 Deluxe. If not Photos would help ;).

Kev I have a stock like that with a 7.62mm Mauser in it. The owner wants to sawp the stock later, any point in asking him for it? It has the same floorplate!
I also was given for a commission sale an M81 in 7x57 with a great Zeiss scope on it. Shoots really well, in fact if I can raise the money I'm keeping it as I sold my Rigby this year and need a 7mm. That said its not as comfortable to shoot as the Rigby was!

Brithunter
29-11-2010, 12:57
I would take the stock off an examine the proof marks and view mark as it's possible that he has a Parker-Hale from a special export order. The barrels are usually marked still witht he P-H name but I can see where not having the barrel so marked might be of benefit to the company depending on where the order was going.

Although my 1200 Super is so marked on the barrel the calibre is marked as 7.92mm and not 8x57mm as one would expect. The rumour was that these were over-runs from a special export order. How true this is is one thing we will probaby never know.

Now as for swopping the stock well depending on who made the action there might be slight inlettign differences. Nothign that a little work opening it up ro bedding it with compound if too large would not care of. So far I have never seen another company using this style fo stock but that's not to say that someone didn't buy a stock and fit it to a sporterised Mauser. Further investigation would help eliminate or prove this idea.

The M81 sounds nice. Sadly I didn't go for the one I should of some years back as it was almost new and it too was a 7mm but a 7mm Rem mag. Something I regret now.

ecoman
29-11-2010, 13:55
'Just dotted in and out of this thread for the moment as I have a firewood surge on - snow !

My Parker Hale was a Safari with the forward or leading end of the forend cut in a downwards wedge shape. It was a .243 and very accurate with the Norma of that era. (Some 15 years -worth of ammo stability ).

I sawed off the leading end of the stock so that it curved back towards me - giving a more streamlined look and preventing herbage getting thrust up between the barrel and stock during crawling. I also removed the laquer which invited cracking and water ingress and oiled the stock instead; AND because we had to endure a lot of wet, I free-floated the barrel as the forend had moved a bit to one side and was showing contact staining.

Pure sacrilege I know, but it was a practical move and it worked.

I then stripped the trigger mechanism and stoned it down to about 2 lbs with a 'breaking glass' pull as the trigger, when I was handed the rifle for my use had a pull which felt like hauling a sack over a barbed wire fence.

Those cold hammer-forged barrels were guaranteed to give 2" grouping at 100 yards , but mine - and it's sister which was used by my head stalker at the time, gave inch groups and better. With DWM roundnose ammo it gave clover-leaf groups - as it did with my later home loads with the 105 grain round-nose Speer. (Soft points).

Lovely little rifles to use after they were given a bit of TLC and finishing.

Serky
29-11-2010, 14:48
I just bought parker hale safari .308, getting send to my local RFD next week. it ticks all the boxes for me from look to budget, not sure about accuracy but time will tell. I think they are beautiful rifles, mine is synthetic which I didn't think they come in synthetic, perhaps people who knows more about history of parker hale might know when synthetic introduced.

devonoak
29-11-2010, 16:24
Slightly off topic but related.... I have a question for Brithunter who despite your claims of innocence do in fact appear to know "quite a bit" about english sporting rifles. My friend has a rifle in .30-06 which, when I glanced at it, said, oh, a parker hale, but in fact it is marked "Firearms co." and "Alpine". The stock looks very P-H but as I understand it they bought these in. All I have been able to glean is that this was a Bridgewater company who made sporting rifles from ex military mauser actions. Can you shed any more light on this Brit?
Many thanks

Brithunter
29-11-2010, 16:33
I had seen a reference to them on an American forum and it seems like the "Whitworth" rifles were for export mainly. The Pakre-Hale stocks were made for them by SILE of Italy who also supplied the later BSA stocks. I am assuming that the Alpine was the Model and Firearms Co the maker?

devonoak
29-11-2010, 16:42
I had seen a reference to them on an American forum and it seems like the "Whitworth" rifles were for export mainly. The Pakre-Hale stocks were made for them by SILE of Italy who also supplied the later BSA stocks. I am assuming that the Alpine was the Model and Firearms Co the maker?

Yes I think thats a correct assumption although it is not that clear on the barrel. The stock is very reminiscent of those '70s p-h stocks with the sort of reverse angle at the forend. A good old rifle though. Thanks

Brithunter
29-11-2010, 17:14
I just bought parker hale safari .308, getting send to my local RFD next week. it ticks all the boxes for me from look to budget, not sure about accuracy but time will tell. I think they are beautiful rifles, mine is synthetic which I didn't think they come in synthetic, perhaps people who knows more about history of parker hale might know when synthetic introduced.

Hmmm I have never seen any synthetic stocked Parker-Hale's except for the M-85 Sniper rifle and not even Gibbs who produced some dodgy P-H rifles offered a synthetic that I am aware of so I would gues it's an aftermarket and as the receiver after all on the Parker-Hale's is a M98 type there is a wide choise of plastic stocks offered in all sort so quality's and styles..

Rake Aboot
05-12-2010, 22:30
Aye

I have a P&H 1200 Safari deluxe in .243. Absoloutely love it, got rid of a Tika T3 to get it and am more than happy. Had it screwcut for the P8 (had to shave the forestock a wee tad) Shoots every bit as good as the Tika (or any other CF I`ve tried) Paid 160 for it and when it arrived I could not believe how good it looked.

At the mo I have an adjustable butt pad on it but if anyone knows where I can get an original butt pad I would love to get one for it.

Great guns and a bit of a secret bargain.

ATB

Maverick61
07-12-2010, 18:35
I have a Parker Hale 1200C 'Scout' in .308 that I've owned from new for nearly 25 years & it's the one I reach for most often when going out stalking despite owning Tikka's & Steyr Mannlichers as well. It's strong, functional, reliable & mine has put more deer in my freezer than I care to remember. For the price they are very hard to beat. Only niggle is that replacement stocks can be hard to find if the original doesn't suit you or gets damaged, but hey mine's not broken so I don't plan to fix it!

mereside
07-12-2010, 19:22
maverick there are plenty of stocks on evilbay usa but not sure if they are easy shippable i did talk to one company that was willing to give it a go but i stripped mine down and was really nice underneath so didnt bother trying,atb wayne

Lakey
07-12-2010, 21:18
I shoot a Parker Hale 1100 deluxe in .243, and a Parker Hale Midland in .3006. Both rifles shoot to 1.25" at 100 yds and both have killed a lot of deer over the 15 years or more that I have had them. I recommend Parker Hale rifles to anyone who will listen. They are very good basic rifles, that sadly are out of fashion at the moment with quite a few stalkers. Holts features Parker Hale rifles in most of its sales and rarely do they make much more than 150 each. I have yet to encounter one which is shot out, and they do the job without the razzamatazz of other more modern rifles, They have a quality which would be impossible to produce these days without an 800 price tag. Steel along is superb quality.

I cannot recommend these rifles highly enough. When I turn up at range days, you always get a few snide comments about"Shame he's only got a Parker Hale" or "Brit Crap" etc etc, but most people shut up when they see how accurate they are. Shame that the yuppie stalkers dont rate them, as they rubbish them without knowing anything about them.

Lakey

johngryphon
07-12-2010, 21:45
I cannot recommend these rifles highly enough. When I turn up at range days, you always get a few snide comments about"Shame he's only got a Parker Hale" or "Brit Crap" etc etc, but most people shut up when they see how accurate they are. Shame that the yuppie stalkers dont rate them, as they rubbish them without knowing anything about them.

Lakey

I have M70/Sako/Rem rifles and my PH (x2) rifles are as good as any as to delivering a bullet into the kill zone and thus I do agree wholeheartedly!

I carried my PH 358NM mostly this year over my Sako 300 WM because IMO the PH is an easier rifle to carry in the bush.

callie
07-12-2010, 22:28
Lakey , look on the brightside, while the yuppies are "rubbishing" them, to a certain degree this works in your favour, if they are not buying it's giving you more choice and a reasonable, affordable rifle that won't have wonderful inlaid engraving that shoots equally as well as their rifles that are costing 3,4,5000 , let 'em have 'em, you can stay with your PH and know that its equal if not better than whatever they have.

Bavarianbrit
10-12-2010, 04:12
I was an apprentice at BSA in Armoury Road Birmingham in the mid 60s and PHs works were at the bottom of our test track I used to stroll in as a cheeky 15yo and watch the workers at their benchs. I did the same at the BSA stocking dept as that was where I was to end up after my basic engineering training was over.
They were good days.
We bought a few PHs at the big English auctions this year for peanuts.
martin

Brithunter
10-12-2010, 08:22
Damn it will you lot keep it quiet :evil: there are still quite a few Paker-Hales I don't have and you lot are pushing the prices up :(. Let's see I don't have:-

M81 Classic
1300 Scout
2100 Midland
Safari
Super Safari
Hussar
1000 standard

Plus a few other varients let alone the BSA's missing like:-

Hunter
Viscount
Imperial
Model 1929 Hi Velocity sporting rifle................. I wish :roll: .

They get expensive enough without you lot tellign others just how good they are :doh:.

garyb
27-12-2010, 08:48
Here's mine... in 308Win

Brit - What model is it.. I was led to believe it's a 1200 Something?

Does everything I ask of her with my own homeloads.

Brithunter
27-12-2010, 10:45
Here's mine... in 308Win

Brit - What model is it.. I was led to believe it's a 1200 Something?

Does everything I ask of her with my own homeloads.

Cannot make out the trigger but everything else points at it being a 1200 Super. On the 1200 Super the trigger blade is usually gold plated. However there was a black blade offered and used on the 1100's. The other option but they are often marked on the left side wall is a Safari Super.

The "Super" stock design was adopted in the mid 1960's and continued in use until Parker-Hale's demise.

garyb
27-12-2010, 16:46
The blade is black, and the trigger design is very similar to a Timney.

It's also floor plated rather than magazine fed.

Paul at Fechan
27-12-2010, 17:16
My .308 PH at 100m would group sub inch. It was my first centrefire but then one day out of the blue it stopped grouping and knowbody in the land could make my baby work right again. So I got a heavy barrel T3 Varmint in .308 and it's unbeatable. You can try but I wouldn't bet your rifle cause you'll fail. :stir:

Brithunter
27-12-2010, 19:09
I take it you mean it does nto have a droppable magazine. The P-H's use the Mauser design of staggered magazine but usually with a floor plate release the floor plates are often emossed like this one:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/UndersideofForeEndBC.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/1209597/14067377.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/1209597/14284710.jpg
That is the gold plated trigger straight out of the box hence the hang tag. Now some models also came with a smooth polished floor plate.

garyb
28-12-2010, 11:24
I do..

Although mine is plain black, with no decoration like yours.

Brit I also notice that your rifle dose not have a one piece mount like mine...

Do you know where I can get some mounts like yours from?

dodgyrog
28-12-2010, 23:35
Damn it will you lot keep it quiet :evil: there are still quite a few Paker-Hales I don't have and you lot are pushing the prices up :(. Let's see I don't have:-

M81 Classic
1300 Scout
2100 Midland
Safari
Super Safari
Hussar
1000 standard

Plus a few other varients let alone the BSA's missing like:-

Hunter
Viscount
Imperial
Model 1929 Hi Velocity sporting rifle................. I wish :roll: .

They get expensive enough without you lot tellign others just how good they are :doh:.

Maverick has a Scout he might sell. It's in lovely condition.

geordieh
29-12-2010, 01:39
I do..

Hi Gary
I have a PH1200 and i have two piece leupolds fitted to mine
Geordie

flytie
29-12-2010, 08:48
I do..

Gary, Brit has very kindly run through this with me about a month ago, finding mounts for my M.81 Classic;

"The Weaver bases you require are nos 45 & 46. Midway UK stock them the alloy ones (normal type) #45 are 3.26 the Weaver Grand Slam steel type are 10.16 each. You use the bases for the normal P-H 1200 on yours".

I am pleased to be able to pass on this info as it is spot on! I went for the Grand Slam's, they are robust to say the least!

Simon

garyb
29-12-2010, 10:41
Thanks all

If I order the Weaver bases as described above, am I right in thinking that I can then use normal Medium Weaver-style Leupold rings with these - or would I need extended?

The scope is a S&B 6x42 if that makes any difference.

flytie
29-12-2010, 12:20
Thanks all

If I order the Weaver bases as described above, am I right in thinking that I can then use normal Medium Weaver-style Leupold rings with these - or would I need extended?

The scope is a S&B 6x42 if that makes any difference.

Gary, I would say you would be fine. I bought high ones and they easily fit my 7x50, in fact I would think the 8x56 would fit too. However my rifle has had the Williams rear ramp site removed, I have one now, but it will not fit under my 7x50, it does when fitted under my friends 6x42 that I borrowed.

Atb, Simon

garyb
29-12-2010, 12:32
Slight change of plan ;)

I've ordered some Std Leupold bases, that will (apparently) fit a PH 1200... A friend of mine has some Leupold 1inch Std rings that he we gift me for the price of a pint or two!

Works out at 24 + beer - in order to swap from the current 1 piece rail, to a 2 piece base/ring setup.

The rifle is very accurate, and will shoot under an inch with my homeloads - but after I took it out for a play yesterday and found the POI was 2-3 inches off my previous zero, I have lost a little confidence! which I hope will be restored after replacing the mounting system for a known good one.

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 14:57
Sorry a bit late on this one. Now with leupold you have to be careful as it seems they make more than one type of base for the 1200 depending if it has a Spanish action or not. On my 1200 Super with the Leupold Q/R mounts:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/1209597/14284690.jpg
They had to be fitted as the coutours did not match. Oh yes for that short tubed Leupold scope I needed the step back front ring. This was BEFORE I found out Leupold made more than one type for the P-H's :oops: and the 1200 Super in 8x57 Mauser has a Spanish action. The 1200C has a Leupold one piece base for the Std leupold rings (actually Redfield Junior pattern) but I must admit I am not reall happy with them and will change them one day to something better but they came fitted and so much Locite was used in fitteng them I will have to use heat of drill one screw out. I had to scrape off the Loctite around the bases where it had been slathered all over the place..

Now I have Apel Roll offs (what The Sportsman called Fixed) mounts on the 1100 Lwt now and they are very good but of course expensive. I see that The Sporstman is advertising them in Gunmart at 195 a set but have not enquired if that actually have any or not.

Simon wanted some mounts on a limited budget which is why I suggested the Weaver ones. Two of my P-H's have them at the moment they work OK but are nott he best looking mounts IMHO. Although the Grand Slam steel bases do look better than the cheap alloy ones.

Seeing as how the Parker-Hale's normally use a Mauser 98 action mounts are not really a problem. The Spanish actions are usually marked "Spain" on the left side of the tang although is can be very faint as it was stamped before they were were finish polished.

This was the 1100 Lwt fitted with a Nikko Sterling 4x32 Special scope just after I got it:-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/20780057/339209837.jpg
and before the stock re-finish and later swop to the Apel mounts. Notice that even with the P-H rings and bases there is still tube space left and a S&B 6x42 has a fairly long tube.

garyb
29-12-2010, 15:01
Brit..

AFAIK my PH 308 is not a Spanish action model... I can see no mention of spain on the gun at all ?

FYI - I have purchased these bases ( Leupold 2-Piece Standard Scope Base Mauser FN Matte 50026 from JJK Shooting Supplies (http://www.jjkshootingsupplies.co.uk/products/leupold-2-piece-standard-scope-base-mauser-fn-matte-50026/1304/) )

Which according to the Leupold site will fit - Parker Hale Models 1000, 1100, and 1200

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 15:19
Of my own Parker-Hale's several have no marking "Spain" on the tang but several do and of those that do two are very faint. You have to pull the stock to see it as it's on the side. As Parker-Hale never made their own actions they used several suppliers. The Spanish ones are believed to be Santa Barbara, the original Safaris were built on German actions that were found in storage in the tunnel range when they moved to their new site in 1963 or so I ahve been told. Those actions were snatched at the end of the war from German factories as war reparations and stuck in storage at BSA's Sparkbrook plant which later was sold to Parker-Hale.

It's also claimed by some that they purchased actions from FN. It's known that they did build at least one model on a Brno action the Hussar. Hence there are variations on the action countours so check carefully that they do fit properly with no gaps under the bases of sides.

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 15:21
Maverick has a Scout he might sell. It's in lovely condition.

Thank you of thinking of me. Right now I am unable to make any moves on another rifle as I have the .280 to finish. Once that is all done and paid for I can think of other things ;).

Offroad Gary
29-12-2010, 19:01
parker hales (.243 and above) are what the keepers around here have in the cabinet so they are deer legal - they come out once every 5 years!

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 19:43
parker hales (.243 and above) are what the keepers around here have in the cabinet so they are deer legal - they come out once every 5 years!

So what your saying is that all keepers in West Berkshire are criminals.

Offroad Gary
29-12-2010, 20:33
So what your saying is that all keepers in West Berkshire are criminals.

no, they just dont shoot deer very often.

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 20:55
Hmmm why is it you always try to give misleading and often stupid ideas?

1) if they only shot once in five years their good reason to own said rifle is no good.

2) unless of course they lie and fiddle the ammo expenditure which is an criminal act

3) your talking pure bull as per usual :roll:.

Offroad Gary
29-12-2010, 21:12
Hmmm why is it you always try to give misleading and often stupid ideas?

1) if they only shot once in five years their good reason to own said rifle is no good.

2) unless of course they lie and fiddle the ammo expenditure which is an criminal act

3) your talking pure bull as per usual :roll:.

1. and your reason to own your rifles is? if a keeper has 1 deer to shoot every 5 years he has reason, surely??
2. ammo useage is not checked at renewal!
3. yes - happy new year! xx

Brithunter
29-12-2010, 21:22
1. and your reason to own your rifles is? if a keeper has 1 deer to shoot every 5 years he has reason, surely??
2. ammo useage is not checked at renewal!
3. yes - happy new year! xx

I don't know what planet your on or if this one what your taking/smoking but ammo usage always comes up on renewal and in Lincolnshire on variations. Shooting a rifle once in five years is not good reson according to the Firearms Licensing Officer and at renewal you have to justify each and everyone again just like the intial granting.

garyb
07-01-2011, 11:03
Another question for you Brithunter if I may :)

Whilst I had the rifle apart the other night adjusting the trigger a little, I notice that the rifle appears to have been glass bed at some point - this is evident by the brown bedding compound found within the stock.

Would this have been done when the rifle was made, or is it likely to have been done by a previous owner?

I notice that the barrel isn't floating quite as well as I'd like.... a sheet of paper run down the channel is met with some resistance up until the area of the front stock bolt.

Trigger is great though :)

mereside
07-01-2011, 11:16
gary it sounds like it is factory bedded mine has the same and also mine was abit tight with mod on so i used a wooden dowel with sand paper wrapped around it and carefully sanded abit out and kept fitting the action till it was correct,atb wayne

Brithunter
07-01-2011, 11:27
Another question for you Brithunter if I may :)

Whilst I had the rifle apart the other night adjusting the trigger a little, I notice that the rifle appears to have been glass bed at some point - this is evident by the brown bedding compound found within the stock.

Would this have been done when the rifle was made, or is it likely to have been done by a previous owner?

I notice that the barrel isn't floating quite as well as I'd like.... a sheet of paper run down the channel is met with some resistance up until the area of the front stock bolt.

Trigger is great though :)

Gary,

Some models were glass bedded, the 1200V which has a factory floated barrel :roll: aimed squarely at the American market as V= Varmint. The 1100 Lwt had glass bedding at the recoil lug and front receiver ring but it has a pressure point about 3/4"-1" back from the forestock tip then is relieved from that to the barrel reinforce. Chamber section/swell. The 1200TX was also glass bedded with free floated barrel and lastly the 1100M "African Magnum" was glass bedded.

The 1200 Super, 1100 deluxe and 1000 std were not glass bedded. I am not sure about the M81 classic.

It seems that it depended on when the rifle was made. Remember Parker-Hale changed hands/management a couple of times so ideas changed a little.

Oh yes check the bedding compound is firmly in place. I say this as it had started to break away in the 1200V but I am not sure if a previous own had been playing with it or not. I had to take it out and re-do the bedding on that one. Only a few models had free floated barrels and my 7.92mm 1200 Super will not shoot well with a floated barrel but with the correct pressure at the forestock bedding point it shoots Privi 196 GR sp into MOA. Floated it was giving 6"-8" patterns so if you float it be aware you might have to replace the bedding pressure point.

Muir
09-01-2011, 16:39
Not quite on topic but I may have mentoned to BH that my PH 308 Norma Magnum has a severely warped stock? Well, yesterday, I was in a pawn shop in the city waiting for a wreck to clear from the highway east (3 hour wait) and found a Parher Hale stock identical to the one on my 308 Norma. Unfortunately, someone had set into it a 1909 Argentine Mauser barreled action that had been reamed with a 30-06 reamer (making it a .312-06) and the fellow wouldn't budge from the $300 price. I like 1909 Argentine actions but have a few. If it was unaltered (7,63x53 Argentine) I would have bought it. Instead, I offered him $100 for the stock with a promise I'd return with my old PH stock which was more suited to that ba$tard of a barreled action. He declined with a smug look on his face: Like, "I got this one on the hook!"

I flipped him my card and told him to call me when he changes his mind. I guess I'll find out eventually! ~Muir

harrygrey382
09-01-2011, 17:08
Not quite on topic but I may have mentoned to BH that my PH 308 Norma Magnum has a severely warped stock? Well, yesterday, I was in a pawn shop in the city waiting for a wreck to clear from the highway east (3 hour wait) and found a Parher Hale stock identical to the one on my 308 Norma. Unfortunately, someone had set into it a 1909 Argentine Mauser barreled action that had been reamed with a 30-06 reamer (making it a .312-06) and the fellow wouldn't budge from the $300 price. I like 1909 Argentine actions but have a few. If it was unaltered (7,63x53 Argentine) I would have bought it. Instead, I offered him $100 for the stock with a promise I'd return with my old PH stock which was more suited to that ba$tard of a barreled action. He declined with a smug look on his face: Like, "I got this one on the hook!"

I flipped him my card and told him to call me when he changes his mind. I guess I'll find out eventually! ~Muir
I'd take it off your hands for that price if I was on your side of the atlantic... Always wanted me a 1909 actioned rifle and a .312-06 would be a capable cartridge I'd imagine! Even if it did mean a bit of musical-dies

Muir
09-01-2011, 17:27
You can load the round using a 30-06 FL die with a .303 expander ball. Works fine. I've shot them quite a bit as they were a popular "conversion" here at one time. What irks me is that the guys who reamed these barrels just stamped them "30-06" and accuracy was hit and miss for the poor, unsuspecting buyer. It is a shame that this barreled action was messed with as it was otherwise left in straight military condition. As a balance, I later saw an as-issued 1909 Argentine in pristine condition, matching numbers throughout, for $395. Which is the better buy, I ask you??

I have a 6.5-06 (yes, I do... hard as it is for some to believe, I was a real hotrodder at one time) on a 1909 Argentine. Nice DWM actions.~Muir

harrygrey382
09-01-2011, 18:42
You can load the round using a 30-06 FL die with a .303 expander ball. Works fine. I've shot them quite a bit as they were a popular "conversion" here at one time. What irks me is that the guys who reamed these barrels just stamped them "30-06" and accuracy was hit and miss for the poor, unsuspecting buyer. It is a shame that this barreled action was messed with as it was otherwise left in straight military condition. As a balance, I later saw an as-issued 1909 Argentine in pristine condition, matching numbers throughout, for $395. Which is the better buy, I ask you??

I have a 6.5-06 (yes, I do... hard as it is for some to believe, I was a real hotrodder at one time) on a 1909 Argentine. Nice DWM actions.~Muir
yeah I thought it would be something like that. That as-issued 1909 sounds nice, and I guess a better deal. However, as much as I like old service weapons I'd find more use for a sporter. But that's not to say I'd pay the difference for a crap one.

You're 6.5-06 sounds nice too, wouldn't mind one in that cal either!

garyb
10-01-2011, 11:22
Here's a better photo of mine..

Still waiting for Leupold bases to arrive, which should *touch wood* be in the post today.

mereside
10-01-2011, 11:37
very nice garry i do like that forend mine is the same without the rosewood at the front,atb wayne

Brithunter
10-01-2011, 12:33

Still waiting for Leupold bases to arrive, which should *touch wood* be in the post today.

An interesting thing came out whilst reading a Parker-Hale catalogue, which seems the only way to find out some true information on them :(, and it seems certain finishes and styles were made for certain markets and the blacked bolts were destined for the Swedish market. This was found in the foreword of the #70 catalogue.

Another issue with Parker-Hale is that they made special production runs that were not listed it seems. Although I ahve yet to complete my catalogue collection and have many years to find yet none that I have or seen list the 7.92mm chambering yet we know they made a run of them as back int eh late 1980's Yorks Guns were advertising some as over runs from that special order and I acquired one some years later still NIB. It would be nice to find out about any other special production runs in different chamberings.

We know the chambered some in 440 Jeffries, 7x64 wasa std chambering but someone asked about 9.3mm and so far I have not found any listings for any 9.3mm cartridge which seems strange when they were finishing rifles specially for Swedish preferences and 9.3x62 is popular up there :???:. Hmmm and Armalon broughtt he P-H hammer forging plant and doing a search I see they do list 9.3x62 ................................ so the search form more P-H information continues.

garyb
10-01-2011, 12:36
The interesting thing is... the bolt shroud on mine is almost brown in colour...

Brithunter
10-01-2011, 16:14
That can happen with hot bluing so I hear. The barrel on my factory std BSA Supersport Five has gone a plum colour.

chrisc
10-01-2011, 17:05

i see mate it looks good.

regards
chris

garyb
10-01-2011, 18:54
What's the best way to date these rifles?

Mine has just the serial # and a circle with the letters "FB2" (I think) in the middle

enfieldspares
10-01-2011, 19:30
F + B over " in a circle is 1980 here's a useful link:

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

flytie
10-01-2011, 19:45
F + B over " in a circle is 1980 here's a useful link:

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

ES, that's a cracking link, now on my favourites! Thank you.

Simon

Brithunter
10-01-2011, 19:51
What's the best way to date these rifles?

Mine has just the serial # and a circle with the letters "FB2" (I think) in the middle

That circle in the Birmingham Private View mark and FB is 1980. I believe that P-H submitted the rifels in the white so that the date the rifle was made as best we can tell as the production records were destroyed by Bremmer Arms it seems.

garyb
10-01-2011, 20:35
Thanks guys.

Brit FYI I've just installed the Leupold bases, and they fit fine - the part number I used was 50026

Brithunter
11-01-2011, 01:39
Glad to hear it :D. I will need to see what the packet says for the ones I got if I can find it.

alexander.may
17-03-2011, 12:10
Hi There
Am new to this so be patient, looking to date a Parker Hale Midland rifle in 6.5x55 it has crossed swords with L in the left box a 4 in the bottom and looks like a C in the right. The bolt does not look like any of the previous pictures I have seen and is not blued, looks like stainless ? I belive the midlands used springfield bolts. Bottom plate is an alloy with a Rams head like photos in previous replys.:???:

garyb
17-03-2011, 14:52
Brithunter is your man Alexander....

My friend has just bought a 1200 super on the back of seeing mine, we are going out later this afternoon to give it a blast before working up a reload for it... it looks mint!

callumity
17-03-2011, 21:04
And my 'nearly new' .270 1200 Superclip had its first outing tonight in fading light to zero in the scope. It likes Norma much better than Federal and pretty well halved the grouping. For the price there is not much to touch them. Tackle catches more anglers than fish. Rifles are not dissimilar; not least because it is the firer and the bullet that matter more than the tube. Maybe PH are coming back into vogue. Dying is usually an excellent career move!

Brithunter
17-03-2011, 21:57
Hi There
Am new to this so be patient, looking to date a Parker Hale Midland rifle in 6.5x55 it has crossed swords with L in the left box a 4 in the bottom and looks like a C in the right. The bolt does not look like any of the previous pictures I have seen and is not blued, looks like stainless ? I belive the midlands used springfield bolts. Bottom plate is an alloy with a Rams head like photos in previous replys.:???:

The code LC is 1985. The bolt is not stainless just polished steel and if not cared for will rust....... this is my Midland 2100's bolt:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Midland%202100/DSCN1145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Midland%202100/P2190145.jpg
The handle itself is blacked but the body is bright but it clearly shows the Springfield locking safety third lug and shorter "Mauser" inspired extractor. The engraving is not std.

Hope that helps.

Brithunter
17-03-2011, 21:58
Glad to hear it callumity please post a picture or two of the rifle when you get the chance :D.

garyb
17-03-2011, 21:59
Pleased to report the new PH shot a 3/4" group earlier with the 1st batch of homeloads we tried... No doubt it would shoot tighter groups, but for stalking does it really matter? No.

He paid 275 for the rifle with a tatty old Nikko scope.

pj1
17-03-2011, 22:23
great thread guys. i picked up my parker hale 1100 lwt in 308 this tuesday. have yet to fire it but it looks like new.
heres a question though. i have weaver rings on it at the moment but need to change the front mount to get better eye relief. only problem being i cant un screw the nut on the mount. is there a trick to this please.

regards pj

Brithunter
18-03-2011, 00:12
Hmmm no trick but i am not sure what nut you mean?

This should sort you problem:-

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/detachable_top_mount/

Hope that helps

pj1
18-03-2011, 00:29
thanks brit

i have a large screwdriver that near perfectly fits the nut / piece that tightens the mount onto the base but it wont budge. have given it a fair amount of pressure but it wont budge. i didnt know if i was doing something wrong or just needed to give it a bit more

Brithunter
18-03-2011, 02:01
Give it a soak in some releasing/penetrating oil then try again.

alexander.may
18-03-2011, 21:01
Thanks for the help Brithunter

callumity
19-03-2011, 11:07
5523Brithunter - you asked for a photo. Here is my unremarkable, standard, cheap but sure-shooting 'nail'.

Brithunter
19-03-2011, 13:50
Just in case here are the distructions to adjust the trigger:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/Parker-Hale/P-HTriggeradjustmentInstructions.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/P-H%201200C/PICT0093.jpg
That's my 1200C in 25-06 with the later styled rounded stock.

flytie
19-03-2011, 15:28
I do prefer the later 1200C's rounded stock. I don't know why, i just do, something more aesthetically pleasing somehow.

Simon

callumity
19-03-2011, 17:55
I think I do but you can't see it from behind the butt! I assume you need to remove the magazine catch to access the front screw to drop the trigger out?

Brithunter
20-03-2011, 04:02
You need to remove the magazine to access the third screw. This model has a small hidden third screw which holds the magazine case to the stock and action and one cannot remove them without undoing it. To get at it you have to remove the magazine catch. It's a right PITA as I found out. I was not adjusting the trigger but examining the bedding and view mark.

TobyH
20-03-2011, 11:42
I've owned my scout since I started shooting full bore rifles. My first CF and I've decided for the price I may as well keep it, plus I'm starting to get into stalking and its perfect for the job. It's got weaver rails along with a S&B 7x50 scope. I've also fitted an ASE Utra S5 mod. I managed to pick up a 10 round mag from Norman Clark (who has lots of PH bits!!) for when I was using it at the ranges. I also had it fully bedded by NC.

I have a problem at the moment with the bolt, in that it won't eject the cases properly, according to my local gunsmith it's to do with the springy strip that clips onto the case when loading, and has weakened over time. Would love to get a new bit or a new bolt as the gun is brilliant and perfect for my needs.

Here's a couple of pics:

TobyH
20-03-2011, 12:32
Just found this extractor which looks exactly like mine, do you reckon this will fit on my 'Scout'? Its the same length...

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=368740

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn313/TobyHeath/Boltextractor.jpg

Brithunter
20-03-2011, 17:47
Just found this extractor which looks exactly like mine, do you reckon this will fit on my 'Scout'? Its the same length...

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=368740

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn313/TobyHeath/Boltextractor.jpg

Toby,

Talk to Norman Clark again.......................... the extractor on the P-H 1300S is a std Mauser 98 one it extracts the case but does not eject it the ejector in the box you flip out to remove the bolt does that. But you might want to just bring the bolt back against it's stop more smartly and see if it works then. Often shooters are too gentle with this design and cause this very problem.

Norman HAS new extractors.................. :D he should also have ejectors.

TobyH
20-03-2011, 19:04
The problem seems to be that the extractor doesn't actually get a good hold of the case. When I start to pull the case out it actually starts but then as the base of the case comes out of the breach it is no longer attached to the bolt face. On the odd occasion that it does come out properly it ejects just fine, the ejector part seems fine. Will give NC a ring tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Cheers for the info.

TobyH
21-03-2011, 13:47
Phoned up NC this morning and they are going to send me servicable 2nd hand extractor (for 8!!). Bill, the gunsmith, tested it on a rifle and reckons it should be fine. May be a little tight but told me how to shave it slightly to make it work for my rifle. Hopefully that will sort out the problem...

Brithunter
21-03-2011, 21:35
Glad to hear it Toby. People don't realise that the ejector is the bit to kick the case out not the extractor. Should have got the ejector too........ :-P

Which reminds me I need to get a couple of ejectors JIC. have a couple of spare Extractors but not an ejector.

TobyH
21-03-2011, 22:22
So let me get this straight, the extractor is the bit I've ordered (the bit that runs along the bolt and clips over the base of the cartridge) and the ejector is the bit that is on the bolt release lever at the back on the left hand side that allows you to remove the bolt from the action?

TobyH
21-03-2011, 22:32
No.24 is the ejector, right?

Brithunter
21-03-2011, 22:41
Yes it's sprung blade held in place with that pointed screw through the ejector box which is also the bolt release.

TobyH
21-03-2011, 22:56
That bit seems to be working fine on mine at the moment. Might be worth getting hold of a spare though.

Do you reckon it's possible to find a solid wood stock for the 'scout' rather than the laminate one it comes with?

Brithunter
21-03-2011, 23:00
Should not be a problem. The 1200c stock would fit as it has the same bottom metal and drop magazine set up. It might be possible to switch it to floor plate but that is beyond my knowledge so Bill at Clarks might be a good place to ask on that front.

TobyH
21-03-2011, 23:05
I'd be happy to keep it with a magazine. I can't see myself using the 10 round magazine anyway just the 4. So 1200c stock, will have to keep my eye's peeled.

65SWED
22-03-2011, 09:43
I have a good wooden stock that might be going spare as I have ordered a new laminate thumb hole stock from America which seems to be stuck in customs at the moment. I can give you a shout once the switch is complete if you like.:lol:

Brithunter
22-03-2011, 09:53
I'd be happy to keep it with a magazine. I can't see myself using the 10 round magazine anyway just the 4. So 1200c stock, will have to keep my eye's peeled.

Yes the 1200C has the same bottom metal and magazine:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/P-H%201200C/PICT0096.jpg
The front piece of metal that the action screw goes through is separate unlike the other Mauser type and P-H rifles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Brithunter/P-H%201200C/PICT0094.jpg

To remove the stock on these you have to drift out the roll pin retaining the magazine catch in the front of the trigger guard bow. Then you can access the small allen headed screw which retains the magazine well case and as this screws into the bottom of the action the stock will not come away without it's removal.. had me head scratching for a little while until I sussed it out :roll:.

TobyH
22-03-2011, 11:28
Thanks for the offer 65SWED, would be very interested, let me know when yours finally arrives (been there, got the slightly worn out T-shirt!!). Is the stock bedded at all? Mine was done by Norman Clark so if I do get yours will probably either do it myself or get it done locally.

Yes BH, I had the same issue!! Amazing how it all hangs on 1 little roll pin!

65SWED
22-03-2011, 14:30
No the stocks never been bedded, but new one will be when I can get my hands on it.:drool:

TobyH
22-03-2011, 16:08
Just out of interest, I'm looking to see if I can tweak the trigger so it's a bit lighter, it's a PH trigger and has the adjustements bolts on it, but was wondering what the range of pull tensions it will go max & min? Is there anything I need to look out for in terms of safety? If I can lap it to make it smoother too then some instructions would be useful...

TobyH
22-03-2011, 16:09
p.s. 65SWED I'm assuming is 6.5x55 which is what you're looking at the end of in my avatar :D

garyb
22-03-2011, 17:01
Toby... The PH trigger can be adjusted.

No idea what the pull weight is, but mine breaks crisp and with little pull, so I'm happy with that!

TobyH
22-03-2011, 18:47
Extractor arrived today (thats what I call service!!!). Fitted and now have a properly functioning rifle! Apparently they are getting scarce though...

Gary, will see if I can find some info on how to use the adjustments.

garyb
22-03-2011, 20:24
It's in this post

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?8420-Parker-Hale&p=198529&viewfull=1#post198529

TobyH
22-03-2011, 21:00
What exactly is backlash?

TobyH
22-03-2011, 22:07
It's alright I've worked it out. What a difference a bit of tweaking makes!!! Had a play with the trigger and it's so much better, less creep much smoother and lighter. Don't know why I put up with it for so long. Should help with accuracy too hopefully.

garyb
23-03-2011, 10:08
The Stock trigger is surprisingly good, almost Timney good! - I did hear a rumour that they are infact early Timney units, but I will leave someone else to dispel that belief

The only issue I've had adjusting one is that the small trigger pin can fall out, when you put it back - ensure you don't push it to far in, as it will stop the safety travel and you'll spend hours trying to work out why!

TobyH
23-03-2011, 14:33
haha, funny you should say that about the safety.....

Some pins are different length too which didn't help!

You can adjust to a very light touch with very little to no creep. For stalking I thought I'd leave a little on there though.

Brithunter
23-03-2011, 23:45
I believe P-H claim range of adjustment is 2-5lbs.

Gald to hear the extractor did the trick... As for getting scarce...:rofl: Although they cost more Midway and Brownells carry newly manufactured ones. There are companies who make them as well as firing pins/strikers and bolt tails.... The Mauser 98 action is still very popular for building on.

TobyH
24-03-2011, 07:56
I did see an extractor at Midway, but is said Obendorf Mauser 98, I'm assuming that's just the manufacturer. It did look very similar and said it was the right length, but aren't some Mauser 98's different? If I was 100% sure it was the right one I would have bought it as I would rather have a brand new one than a 2nd hand one....

Brithunter
24-03-2011, 09:39
I believe the only different extractor is the magnum one in Obendorf Mausers and of course the modern ones made for cartridges like the .222 head size ones. Also the rimmed one will be different. So get one for a std 0.473" rimless cartridge head and it will be fine.

Obendorf was the home of Mauser, the old rifles were marked Obendorf en Nekker (hope I spelt the right :oops:) Nekker is the river they built next to for the water source and power until electric power became the norm. Of course now that soem moaney men own the name the moved mauser to some otherplace and their new monstrosity could hardly properly be called a Mauser. It's related to the Blaser I understand hence the daft manual cocking idea.. but I have drifted off topic again :roll:.

TobyH
24-03-2011, 19:53
Well that's good to know, at least I know I can pick one up.