The Stick Supplier Blog
by, 20-02-2016 at 09:31 (338 Views)
Used for flushing out game, our stick makers make excellent beating sticks. They are strong and robust (you can shut it in the Land Rover door many times and it will still survive!)
Beating sticks are traditionally either wooden thumbsticks or [URL="http://www.walkingsticksonline.co.uk/new/hiking_sticks.php"]hiking sticks[/URL]. Both of our local stick makers are hunting and fishing enthusiasts so they make sticks they would use themselves. The beater walks up ahead and "beats" the undergrowth to flush out pheasants, partridges and other game.
Carrying a good strong stick on a hunt with you has many other useful purposes:
1. Helping you to keep you balance
2. Providing excellent support when descending steep hills or traversing a steep hill.
3. Increasing your stride and hiking speed with arm power.
4. Reducing stress on your knee and hip joints.
5. Using your stick as a support if you get injured.
6. To clear the path up ahead.
7. Reach up high to knock fruit out of trees for example.
8. Use as a monopod to stabilize your camera or binoculars.
9. A "lend a hand stick" to help companions cross difficult areas.
10. Retrieving things out of reach or in the water.
11. Something to lean on when you stop for a breather.
12.Testing water or mud for depth.