Mono or Bi sticks?

RickoShay

icon1.gif
Mono or Bipod?

For those of you that have used both, which do you prefer mono or bi sticks and why?

I like to keep my shooting fuss-free, but understand that some DSC1 shooting tests require shots using a support so I want to put some practice in using them.

Have been looking at the Deerhunter sticks, as have little time to make my own (and would prefer something collapsible anyway).

Look forward to hearing your experiences.​

From what i remember when i did the DSC 1 about 7 years ago sticks were supplied for the test, and i think the standing shots taken off sticks were at targets at about 40 M. Its not too taxing even if you have never used a set of sticks before and if you are any sort of stalker you will hit the target if the rifle is on zero. I agree with Ade 30-06 about steadyness but would add Tri-sticks are a fiddle when setting up for a shot on a stalk. Good luck with your test !

Thanks chaps, that is useful. I can already hit a 4inch target at 50m standing at 4x mag, is it possible to shoot without using the sticks or am I just making it harder for myself?

Rick, I started over 20yrs. ago shooting with a single hazel stick as a steady(as I'm sure a good many others did) I progressed to a pair of sticks as a standing bi-pod and eventually made myself a tripod that I have now used for probably the last 10yrs. I am happy with my shooting using this set-up.
It is possible to shoot without the sticks but I'm sure there won't be many that use off-hand when there is time to deploy or utilise some sort of aid for a steadier shot whether it be single/twin/tri or quad sticks. I've probably only taken 3 off-hand shots at deer in 20+yrs and then never at over 30mtrs distance. Others may be comfortable taking off-hand shots at longer ranges but practice at paper targets before using this method on live quarry. Never shoot beyond your "comfort zone" at live targets.
Just my two penn'rth.
Cheers, Pete.

Thanks chaps, that is useful. I can already hit a 4inch target at 50m standing at 4x mag, is it possible to shoot without using the sticks or am I just making it harder for myself?

Prometheus is correct if my memory serves me right, 40m standing using sticks was what I did too. You can risk it, but you WILL be nervous, it could be windy or cold, and you would not want to fail on this aspect would you. It is accepted that using sticks aids accuracy, it does ! There's no need to get too bogged down with details. If you don't want to spend a lot in the short term get some garden sticks from a centre, bind them with a rubber exhaust bracket hanger and practice with these, they'll cost you about a fiver . You can practice in the house watching TV, I shot both of the JEDWOOD twins 57 times last night before I got bored ! :norty:

I started off with a shepherds crook, because that's what i had. Then i went shooting with a friend who had X3M1 two legged sticks and was impressed, so i bought a pair in the great Litt's give away. I am still using them. I stalk the sort of ground where bi-pods are not much use because of the brambles and undergrowth, sticks are a real help. I also need something which breaks down to fit in my Jimny, and my sticks are telescopic. I am tempted by a tri-pod.

ft

Neither!
Quad sticks are by far steadier. In fact as good as prone with a back support to lean on like a tree!
Can also be used as a bipod or even mono in a rush.
MS:)

With respect to the quad sticks, how do you find they fold down/collapse for hoofing it about the hill or forest?
Are they not too cumbersome?
Think i'll knock a set up for trialling as they won't break the bank!!
Cheers, Rb

Twin sticks and lots of practice at rabbits. I find they are the quickest to deploy and take shots out to 150m with them. Tried a tripod but couldnt get on with them especially when on uneven ground.

I use a bi-pod set of sticks in fact just bought a new pair. I prefer wooden sticks over new metal ones but one of the problems I have, is being so tall, alot of telescopic sticks wont extend far enough for a comfortable shot. I have in fact just bought a pair which are seasoned ash, made especially for my height from a stick maker in denmark. He advertsises in all the mags sporting rifle, shooting times etc. At first they seemed a bit pricey, however seeing the quality and workmaship, Im sure these will last me a very long time.

As for the shooting test if its with the BDS they have loads of sticks and tripods available on the day. You have to shoot 3 prone 100m into a 4 inch zero target. Next a deer silouette, 2 prone 100m, 2 sitting/kneeling of sticks 70m and 2 standing 40m. The target area isnt marked but is heart/lung and easily twice the size of the 4 inch zero target.

good luck, atb.

I use a bi-pod on both my two rifles great for stubble or long shoots on foxs :) very steady
But I always carry 4 green garden canes from B&Q held together with bike inner tube I done my level 1 with them. Also used them at the last month at the Best Practice Guidance in October

Last edited:
Another vote for bi pods used them since starting stalking 4 yrs ago. Becomes second nature deploying them ready to take the shot after a while. My only recomendation would be to spend the most you can afford as the cheap retractable metal ones don't last and they have a habbit of clanging if you are not careful. I'm saving up for a pair of the handmade ones andibrains mentioned above.

Thanks everyone, this has been a really useful thread. From what I am hearing a bipod sticks seems more popular than tri or quad, but it is a close run thing. :tiphat:
Portability and lack of fuss is really important to me, so will on balance probably opt for the bipods but will try the others over time.
Many thanks for all your feedback - great!:D

Last edited:
Rick

A couple of comments. I rarely pursue roe deer without the 4 sticks to hand and have found that my summertime success rate on bucks went up significantly. Success went up on does too, but not as much. When stalking on open hill, I leave the 4 sticks in the car and take a walking stick with me. The 4 sticks don't work well in heather and I made a complete hash of trying to get set up to shoot a sika hind. The sticks got jammed up in the heather and one joint disintegrated. The sika hind strolled off.

Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Back