From The Mouths Of Babes

Harry mac

I had to laugh the other day. I was putting my little 3 year old lad in the car and he noticed I had the cover drawn over the boot area. Curiosity got the better of him and saying, "What under there?" he lifted up the flap and had a look. What he saw was a roe buck's head (just the head) in my carcase tray and he said, "daddy got deer in here". "Yes, daddy shot that yesterday" I said. He paused for a second or two and then said, "looks a bit poorly"

yes they say the cutest things mines 6yrs old and we got our first deer last week and after gettin it home he said well how do we bring it back to life to play with him he said we could use them machines they use on casualty to restart the heart lol

When my oldest daughter was 3 she was watching me paunch some rabbits. I pressed on the bladder and expeled the wee. She said " whats that" . Wee i said. She replied " dont be silly daddy only children wee" . Will remember this for the rest of my life

I took one of my 5 yr old twin daughters out with me a couple of weeks ago after a phone call from one of my farmers that the deer were in his fodder beet,so off we went and there they were a young buck and doe so shot the buck to keep him happy and then got my daughter to hold his leg up to help me with the gralloch,farmer went and got his kids and let them watch too said they should see things like this ,i agreed and carried on.Funny what sticks in their minds at that age because my daughter spent the next few days telling everybody she came in contact with how she held up the deers leg while daddy cut its willy off,god knows what people must think.:oops:

My son (then 18 months, now 2 1/2) regularly used to watch me butcher roe in the garage. He v quickly made the link to the meat which he loves, he is always proud to grin and say he is eating deer!

My wife used to tell him a story about daddy going stalking, it morphed into him joining me. One night I took over and later it transpired that my wife did not let him take the shot. His renditions of "squeeeezzzeee the trigger gently" and "bang, thump - STONE DEAD" still bring a big grin on my part! Looking forward tot aking him out, I suspect the key time is when a child can keep quiet when asked to?

He has a nice skull mount roe head on his wall which he says good night to every night - sweet dreams... He loves nature and has sharp eyes. Be it a big in the grass or a deer in a field, he loves nature.

Is this normal?:lol: I hope he grows up to enjoy rural fun, number 2 turned out to be a girl (arrived on sunday) so I suppose less issue over having to share guns!

jinga gongrats on baby no 2 and mine is 6 and he was with me on my first ever deer and helped me drag it back to car and now calls himself the deer warrior lol and he was as quiet as mouse as soon as we saw the deer to stalk

webby

well my boy now wants to go out with me on evening stalks lol so mite get out more if i use boy as blackmail lol

my 16 year old daughter has just started paying interest after years of gentle nudging it the stalking direction. She is a natural with a shot gun (realy good with my semi auto) the problem is she is left handed and I'm right handed, me thinks this is going to get expensive!!!!!!

Just finnished a week of clients doing highseats morning and night and stalking through the day ( works out at 19-20 hour days) I don't think I could have done it without her help.

I took one of my 5 yr old twin daughters out with me a couple of weeks ago after a phone call from one of my farmers that the deer were in his fodder beet,so off we went and there they were a young buck and doe so shot the buck to keep him happy and then got my daughter to hold his leg up to help me with the gralloch,farmer went and got his kids and let them watch too said they should see things like this ,i agreed and carried on.Funny what sticks in their minds at that age because my daughter spent the next few days telling everybody she came in contact with how she held up the deers leg while daddy cut its willy off,god knows what people must think.:oops:

I have also taken my 6 year old twin daughters out shooting with me a few times. They can both fit into a double high seat with me. They always ask me why deer stick their tongues out when they are dead.

A good friend of mine who owns his own butchers shop comes round for dinner and butchers my deer for me (he takes a lot less time and wastes far less meat than me) my twins are tansfixed and ask 101 questions almost every cut he makes. When they tell their school friends what they have witnessed some of them run off and "go and tell" on them as what they tell them is quite graphic!!

Can't wait until they can shoot proficiently and can shoot their first deer with their dad.

Cheers

Ross

Back