Do Sako factory screw cut Finlites ? or can they be ordered?

arbjob

I am looking for a whole new 6.5x55 outfit, (rifle, scope & mod). I had my heart set on a Finlight before I bought my last rifle, but couldn’t find one screw cut, and was told Sako will not supply or recommend having this done.

I this correct?, can you get a Finlight 75 factory screw cut?, I would consider a 85 Stainless screw cut; do GMK have these available for dealers to order?

This must have come up before,

Thanks

You'll definitely get a 85 s/s Screw cut, but as far as I'm aware Sako refuse to factory cut the Finlight .

Only aftermarket. Screw cutting and because the barrel muzzle is very thin your looking at 1/2 unf thread at a guess , whether you could put s metric thread like m14 x 1 I don't no

They don't but I have a 75 finnlight in 30-06 screwcut and it hasn't caused any issues.... Yet!!

My finnlite didn't come factory threaded and was done afterwards in m14x1. TBH I don't use the mod on it but I have a mod for it should I go to a permission where a Mod is desirable.

Most competent gunsmiths will happily screw cut a finlight, though Sako won't. I can't find any warning against threading a finlight on Sako's website so it seems strange that Sako won't thread the rifle themselves or officially warn against having it done if there is supposidly a potential problem.

Sako have built a light weight rifle why would they screw cut it so you can fit a great lump of metal to the end of it. When they offer an alternative rifle that is screw cut.

Sako have built a light weight rifle why would they screw cut it so you can fit a great lump of metal to the end of it. When they offer an alternative rifle that is screw cut.

The actual difference in weight between a Sako 85 finnlight and a similar spec standard 85 rifle without a fluted barrel is Just about 3.5 oz in the sporter barrel profile. Different makes of moderator fluctuate far more in weight than than 3.5 oz. In reality the difference between the two is more cosmetic than anything else. (and very nice the finnlight looks too)

From what I have read, the supposed advantage of a quicker barrel cooling time due to the small increase in surface area of the fluted barrel is actually negligible. The fluted barrel definitely looks better though. In my opinion many people prefer the finnlight purely for cosmetc reasons, but still want it threaded for a moderator.

If you think about it sako are saving money by not threading the barrel, though surely they must be more to it than just cost, I would love to hear Sako's explanation for not offering it threaded.

Has there ever been a reported problem with the muzzle of a properly threaded finnlight I wonder? If so I would be very interested to find out more.

Last edited:
Back