243 competition seater

Hi has anyone got a competition 243 bullet seater they don,t use i want to seat my bullets by the oglive and not the tip. Please let me know with a price

bullet comparator is what you need to check your rounds to the ogive and not the tip.

the comp bullet seater is the same as a normal bullet seating die it just has a micrometer on top so its easier to adjust different bullet seating dept's

if you look down this page your see the comparator. you can get one which has different ends for different calibre's. or you can buy single ones depending on the unit you want

Tools - Reloading Solutions Limited - The Uk's premier source for Precision Reloading Products

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but when using your comparator what is the consensus as to where to zero your calipers.
Ive got the anvil base and the the hornady comparator and I zero with these two in the jaws to check before I measure.
This makes my OAL meaningless to anyone else though so do most people zero without the comp. on the jaws?

You can simply drill out your seater stem so that it no longer (if if ever did) bear on the tip of the bullet. Remember that even if you do, the nature of reloading presses is such that exact seating depth consistency is virtually impossible. A few thousandths of an inch one way or the other is fairly common. Before you invest in a competition seater check to see if your seater stem actually does bear on the tip. JMHO.~Muir

Sorry to hijack but when using your comparator what is the consensus as to where to zero your calipers.
Ive got the anvil base and the the hornady comparator and I zero with these two in the jaws to check before I measure.
This makes my OAL meaningless to anyone else though so do most people zero without the comp. on the jaws?

I wonder if all of the above is one of the reasons that back in the day, OAL was of less importance than seating depth. If you think about it, depth -where the base of the bullet lies- is far more reliable and noteworthy than where the variable ogive or tip lies.~Muir

And is fairly standardised across different rifles.
My OAL is meaningless to anyone other than me but I like to check my calipers are zeroed before I begin so the OAL is much shorter than most

And is fairly standardised across different rifles.
My OAL is meaningless to anyone other than me but I like to check my calipers are zeroed before I begin so the OAL is much shorter than most
Your OAL is meaningless to anyone else which ever way you measure it as all rifles are a law unto themselves, as long as you record the measurement
in your records the same way it doesn't matter, I record both measurements just to be safe.

Back