A nice session shooting this afternoon

TA6319

I have been watching the weather with a lot of interest today since it got light. The joys of shift work:). I got home just after 2pm and was on the phone to the farmer by 2.05pm. He was not going to be working on the ground as it was still too wet, so it was my lucky day. The ground is a couple of meadows, which can make things interesting. I decided to take my .22 and get a bit of practice in. To make it a bit more interesting I took along a rook decoy and a stuffed rabbit. This may sound a bit silly but it has worked in the past for me with a shotgun.
Anyway I arrived at the ground and placed out my decoys at around 50 yards and settled myself in the hedge, with my sticks to rest my rifle on. The sun was shining and I was getting a little warm as I had a pair of gloves on and a face mask. One rook flew over and had a look and did not spook, so I thought the decoys must have looked pretty good. The trouble was that was the only one, as normally a few are always flying to and from the wood next to the ground:rolleyes:. the plus side was I seemed to be under a rather nice flight line:D, the down side was I did not have my shotgun:doh:
Oh well I managed to scare a few milk bottle tops:D
It was nice just to be out and a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work

I have been watching the weather with a lot of interest today since it got light. The joys of shift work:). I got home just after 2pm and was on the phone to the farmer by 2.05pm. He was not going to be working on the ground as it was still too wet, so it was my lucky day. The ground is a couple of meadows, which can make things interesting. I decided to take my .22 and get a bit of practice in. To make it a bit more interesting I took along a rook decoy and a stuffed rabbit. This may sound a bit silly but it has worked in the past for me with a shotgun.
Anyway I arrived at the ground and placed out my decoys at around 50 yards and settled myself in the hedge, with my sticks to rest my rifle on. The sun was shining and I was getting a little warm as I had a pair of gloves on and a face mask. One rook flew over and had a look and did not spook, so I thought the decoys must have looked pretty good. The trouble was that was the only one, as normally a few are always flying to and from the wood next to the ground:rolleyes:. the plus side was I seemed to be under a rather nice flight line:D, the down side was I did not have my shotgun:doh:
Oh well I managed to scare a few milk bottle tops:D
It was nice just to be out and a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work

No finer way to spend an afternoon than with a gun and the hope of a shot :)

I have one or two sessions as you describe every year and I normally shoot 5-15 crows with the .22.
I read in sporting shooter about 10years ago (it was a newish magazine at the time anyway) about using a crow decoy and a dead pigeon with some breast feathers scattered around and that's what I do. I place it out bang on zero range at 50y and usually do it under a thick canopy of a conifer tree with a cammo net draped over me as they are so wary when they come in. It's exhilarating when you hear them cawing above you as you don't dare look up. Once they land, it's like shelling peas as a fifty yard crow looks huge through the scope :)
I did it last year with the .233 but obviously had the decoy at 100y which made them much less suspicious coming in.

When I have a go this year, I'll do a write up with photos :)

Back