.308 bullets for large red

Acm

Hi there , I use 125 grain soft nose winchesters for roe , but I'm going to be shooting reds later this year . Any suggestions on bullet ? I have som 150 grain Winchester soft noses ?

I am in the same question as you are, but more as an allround bullet. A bullet that can cleanly kill a red hind or stag and doesn't blow fist size holes in the shoulder of a roe or muntjac. I was looking in the direction of 150 grain Nosler Partition , 150 gr Barnes TSX, 150 gr Trophy Copper , 150 grain Mega , 150 grain RWS ID , 150 grain Super Hammerhead , .... Hopefully some 308 users will have experience with one of the above.

The 150gr Lapua Mega factory cartridge seems to work well out of many 308's.
I shot a few sika with that bullet. Hit bone and the damage increases like with any, otherwise very
tough good bullet.
Fed fusion would be another really good bullet, I presume similar to 150 Super Hammerhead.
The fusion bullets I retrieved had between 84% and 94% weight retention.
I prefer 165grain in my 308 but there isn't a huge difference.
edi

Any good 150 or 165 gn soft point works great at 308 velocities. In factory rem corlokt is hard to beat. The equivalent norma SP would also be good.

Hornady interlock 150gr BTSP gets my vote does the business very well indeed push mine along with RL15 excellent bullet for large reds :thumb:

Back