243wssm

dirtdigger

just applying for my ticket and was going to get a 243 but in a shop yesterday and the owner recommended a wssm , are they any good and what are the ammo prices like compared to 243

The .243 wssm was designed to match the performance of the 6mm rem (slightly better ballistics than the standard .243) I think!!!

Cost and availablity of ammunition for it would put me off, and the squat shape of the round can cause problems when chambering them.
If you want a .243 you will probably be better getting the standard not the wssm.
Does the dealer have a .243wssm in stock by any chance:stir:.

Not had any experience of the magnums, but just been doing my homework as I intend getting either a 7mm rem mag, .300 win mag, .300wsm or possibly a .338 win mag. (the 7mm rem looks favorite at the moment).
I wait to be corrected by the more experienced on the matter:lol:.
best of luck with the application mate:thumb:.
Sinbad/paul

yes he did have 1 in stock , he is a friend of a friend and the in between friend says he is a genuine bloke

LOL!...he's got a rifle to shift so he 'recommends' a WSSM without a considered demands and needs consideration for his customer:rolleyes: a bit like going into a bank and buying a financial product:stir:

don't fall for it before you've done your research properly.

a. consider availability of factory ammo, bullets, brass, dies, etc. etc.
b. consider MV and considerations in terms of bullets used and expansion characteristics on your quarry (given usual ranges)
c. consider re-sale ability
d. consider chambering ability
e. WSSM might be due to the building of a range rifle, is this useful as a stalking/varminting rifle (weight, length, etc.).
f. how many rounds has this one had through it, throat and barrel condition (INSIDE!)
g. why did the owner sell it,,,,the REAL reason...

others can add more things to consider. I guarantee you that if the store owner had a .243 AI on the shelf, 'that' would have been his recommendation:lol:

If you want a slightly better .243, maybe a ackley improved would be the best option.
just search for 243wssm reviews and have a look, 10% better than a standard .243 is not much when you consider the cost/availability of ammo for it.
Ask how long he has had the rifle in stock! may be genuine, but if he cant move it!!!!!!
I have a 6mm rem if you want to try it, but unless you home load ammo availability may be a problem for this calibre as well.

Not had any experience of the magnums, but just been doing my homework as I intend getting either a 7mm rem mag, .300 win mag, .300wsm or possibly a .338 win mag. (the 7mm rem looks favorite at the moment).

best of luck with the application mate:thumb:.
Sinbad/paul

What are you planning to use it for? All are solid calibres that perform well on big animals. 7RM and 300Wm are the most popular and should have the best selection of factory ammo. The 338 may prove positively difficult to find ammo for - I nearly bought one here in Canada but was put off by the price and scarcity of ammo.

I think you may struggle to convince your FLO to let you have a 338 on an open ticket for deer in the UK. The others should be easier but still not a walk in the park depending on what police authority you live in. You may also have issues for zeroing on ranges as all but the 7mmRM are over the 4500J energy limit on some / most UK ranges

Main use will be deer and wild boar, No problem with the FLO they offered up to .338 for wild boar and are happy to condition it for use on deer in the UK. Their preference over conditioning solid slugs for the 12bore.
Can still have slugs but not for use in the UK.
availability of ammo seems better for the 7mm rem and cost wise not ridulously expensive.
Happy days!!!
sinbad

I have had both, in reality the WSSM is home load cartridge to guarantee a good supply of ammo. The WSSM gives you as said about 10% more power than a standard 243.

The truth is that a rifle in that calibre is not worth that much, Nutty spaniel off here got a bargain, a as new Browning A-Bolt Medallion,that’s the one with fancy wood and engraving for £250. If the rifle was really cheap and you hand load or it was a model of rifle that was difficult to find and you really want it then fair play buy it. Otherwise I would advise you to stick with a standard 243. You will sell it more easily should you want to move it on and will have no problem with ammo.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
Back