Well done to UKSHA

Thouse who know me will know that I am passanate about tracking and working my dog on live tracks.
well last night I had a call from a young keeper who managers the deer on the estate where he works, he has phoned me on a few occasions asking for my advice on training his now 7 month old GWP and because he is from my part of the world we have become good long distance Friends,
In the phone call last night he was asking for a bit of advice on what he should do as his client had maybe wounded a big stag, they where in a high seat and a 14 pointer came out along with 40 odd hinds at about just over 200 yards, the shot was taken and the stag kicked out and run 500-600 yards into cover,
now he has worked his young dog to track and this was the perfect opportunity for him to try her out on a live track so you would think, but he made the right decision not to put her on as it was not going to be easy, next right thing he did was to mark the strike site, then he phoned me.
should I drive 400 miles with my young dog that had found a few but was not yet the finished article, as passionate as I am about tracking and getting another track under my belt for UKDTR, I think not,800 mile round trip maybe!
Better to asked someone a bit closer with a more proven dog to have a better chance of recovery.
I phone a good friend from the UKSHA who shall rename nameless unless he decides to name him self, he then made a 240 mile round trip to help the young man.
I would like to say there is no happy ending to all this but after tracking the stag for over 2 kilometres and finding no blood,hair or bone on the track it was decided that it was just a nick or a miss.
I am proud to have this UKSHA member as my friend and you made a fantastic effort turning out and I don't think anyone could have done a better job, I would also say very well done to the young keeper who did everything right from a tracking point of view to try and aid the recovery.

just like to add again allow we all like to work our dogs there comes a point when there is someone better placed to help.

Tony

Last edited:
Well done lads glad to see you pushing the boundary's, I must admit to only going on a call out if there is definite signs of a strike.

Well the same young lad had another team of clients in this week and he had today call the same uksha member who again made the same 240 mile round trip.
This time it was a happy ending with 20 stone 12 point recovered and one very happy client.
Very well done, that's a lot of miles in one week.

Back