December

woodfordfallow

We find that December is very poor for the deer showing . I put it down to them going into sort of semi hibernation or working the ground only at night. This has happened year after year and I was wandering if others have noticed this. This is mainly roe and Fallow. Then by the end of January they all come back out of the woods as normal. I have told members of the syndicate this and they have confirmed it with wasted visits this time of year . I would be interested in your findings.

PC200048.jpg(I go pigeon shooting this time of year) This week 136 bag day woodfordfallow

Same on the deer front, just had a look back through the records and it always seems to die off in december for a bit, although this might be due to the lack of daylight meaning i dont get out as much.

Ive been saying exactly the same as you ref fallow and roe this month, they have just simply disappeared.

I've just had 2 roe today in very poor weather conditions. Saw others in addition. Tend to find you have to go into cover and dig them out, rather than them showing on the fields, but with the cover died back stalking the woods is a lot easier.

Also, I wonder whether people are sticking to the dawn/dusk regime. In these days of limited daylight, I stalk all day. See as many in the middle of the day as dawn/dusk.

Novice

I've just had 2 roe today in very poor weather conditions. Saw others in addition. Tend to find you have to go into cover and dig them out, rather than them showing on the fields, but with the cover died back stalking the woods is a lot easier.

Also, I wonder whether people are sticking to the dawn/dusk regime. In these days of limited daylight, I stalk all day. See as many in the middle of the day as dawn/dusk.

Novice

Novice
That's quite true as a local estate owner has Roe eating his young trees .We go between the lights to catch up with them . He sees them while walking the dogs at mid day. Funny but one of the syndicate sat in a seat for two hours then returned to his car to find two Roe Does standing beside it.

Fallow don't seem to show themselves much this time of year in fields, I believe they find a quiet spot in woods and pick up all of natures harvest from autumn. As soon as this has dried up and temp drops they will soon be out onto grass. As has been said its a good idea to stalk all day if you have the time as fallow will be moving all day.
Resident roe are always around just a matter of patience and knowing likely spots.

Seeing plenty of then in the urban inviroment , I made that comment to 6pointer last night never seen so many deer in the town ,every other garden has one in it just a pity there all 240 volt deer lol

Back