How long

nuttyspaniel

Heres something that Ive been toying with. If say an area has had the "master" bucks shot. How long would you think it would take before it was re-populated by other "master" bucks? Would the rut draw in others? Or would the Does go looking? I know each area of land is different, and has a different density of Roe depending on feed etc. So I know there could be and will be a difference in answers. I also know proper managment would stop this happening in the 1st place. And just to clarify this post does not relate any ground its just a question.

Nutty

It will depend on what you determine as a master buck
but a doe is promiscuous so will rut with as many bucks that she feels will give her the best chance of producing good off-spring
shoot a good buck and a lesser aggressive buck but equally as after a quality as the one you just shot will easily take the place the morning after because it will not be driven off
i also hav vids of a doe where one evening the buck was shot off her and the very next morning she was in full rut with another buck

It will depend on what you determine as a master buck
but a doe is promiscuous so will rut with as many bucks that she feels will give her the best chance of producing good off-spring
shoot a good buck and a lesser aggressive buck but equally as after a quality as the one you just shot will easily take the place the morning after because it will not be driven off
i also hav vids of a doe where one evening the buck was shot off her and the very next morning she was in full rut with another buck

Interesting. Food for thought, I to was under the impresion that the vacant territory would be filled quite quick. But tht of course would depend on the Roe population I would think.

nutty

On area's of dense populations the chances are it will be a lesser buck that takes it chance untill chased off
in lesser populated area's the more aggressive stronger bucks normally take court as there territories will be larger due to a smaller population and will cover more does due to the lack of gene pool in the mix

Basically the Does rule the roost,and they will draw in a Buck or more,and as Rich says Does are totally fickle(some would say as are all women.....not me though).So,if your worried about taking a Buck off your ground and leaving it Buckless,then I wouldn't worry at all mate.

Martin

Also depends on your management objectives. Keep a mature buck in place and lower the damage to crops / increase head quality. Take him out and lesser bucks will compete for the ground causing more damage. Still the old boy will have to go at some point by rifle or by rival.

Also depends on your management objectives. Keep a mature buck in place and lower the damage to crops / increase head quality. Take him out and lesser bucks will compete for the ground causing more damage. Still the old boy will have to go at some point by rifle or by rival.

Fair points but the question is, how long for another to move in if he has been shot?

nutty

Basically the Does rule the roost,and they will draw in a Buck or more,and as Rich says Does are totally fickle(some would say as are all women.....not me though).So,if your worried about taking a Buck off your ground and leaving it Buckless,then I wouldn't worry at all mate.

Martin

Martin Im not worried or planning to, I know that the Does wear the trousers if you coin the phrase. It was just something that popped into my head the other day thats all. In my mind Deer dont just spring out of the ground when 1 gets shot, its bound to take some time but how long.

Nutty

Have a look at Domonic griffiths book 'Deer management in the Uk'.

It has some interesting case studies and one is about ground that had been heavily shot and had very few bucks of very low quality. It talkes of the strategy employed to bring the population and quality up and the timescale involved.

I shot a nice 6 pointer a couple of weeks ago, whilst stalking the same bit of ground a couple of nights later I saw another buck within yards of where I had dropped the 6 pointer. It had moved in with 48 hours.

I think it is safe to say a new buck will move in fairly quickly, as during the Rut there are many displaced bucks wondering around looking for the patch.

As for a "Master buck" I dont believe he will move in till the following spring when they are starting to sort their territories out.

Any crappy buck will go for a land grab if the opportunity presents itself but the true test comes when the territories are being sorted.

I think it is safe to say a new buck will move in fairly quickly, as during the Rut there are many displaced bucks wondering around looking for the patch.

As for a "Master buck" I dont believe he will move in till the following spring when they are starting to sort their territories out.

Any crappy buck will go for a land grab if the opportunity presents itself but the true test comes when the territories are being sorted.

This was my thinking eggy.

Nutty

Have a look at Domonic griffiths book 'Deer management in the Uk'.

It has some interesting case studies and one is about ground that had been heavily shot and had very few bucks of very low quality. It talkes of the strategy employed to bring the population and quality up and the timescale involved.

Sounds an idea, sourcing good Deer managment books is on my to do list.

Nutty

A professional stalker once told me the average is 3 days.

Frank
A small piece of ground that I stalk on (approx 12acres of young trees) produced 4 bucks in 5 visits on successive evenings. There is no adjacent woodland to act as a feeder area, just open farmland. I never figured out where the deer came from, they just appeared each time I returned. I was just happy to make their aquaintance:D

Last edited:
Back