level two with the BDS for £492 for two days.

crouch valley

I saw this and thought I would post on here might be of use to some. It seems a very reasonable rate There is more info on there web site about it..

We have modernized our Deer Stalking Certificate 2 (DSC2) by signing up a 1,000-acre deer park in Sussex to help candidates with no access to their own stalking ground complete the three witnessed deer stalks. The two day package is offered at an affordable all-inclusive price of £492.

May be just me but the line "to help canditates with no access to their own ground" contradicts the reason level 2 is here!!! We do level 1 which is classroom based go and hone our skills then apply for level 2. Then prove we know what weve learned. How does a canditate do this with no ground of their own? Paid stalks? No offense but how does following a pro, being shown a beast, told where to shoot it then watch it being gralloched and dealt with, enhance the level 1 towards the level of experiance needed to sit level 2?

Nutty

Seems like LEV 2 has lost its meaning and deer parks for shooting deer to me is like shoot pets in a country park .Is it any wonder why people worry about such qualifications.
In my opinion why not make it simulated and stalk a card board cut out.

I tend to agree, surely level 2 is something to work towards if you have the access to stalking. It's very demeaning of a level 2 qualification(?) to near enough guarantee it in a deer park.

You could technically do level one and two within a couple of weeks and have no prior experience of deer stalking, then gain a lease from FC and be none the wiser!

I tend to agree, surely level 2 is something to work towards if you have the access to stalking. It's very demeaning of a level 2 qualification(?) to near enough guarantee it in a deer park.

You could technically do level one and two within a couple of weeks and have no prior experience of deer stalking, then gain a lease from FC and be none the wiser!

Yip 100%. As said it makes a joke of everything. And in my eyes shows the money making side of it.

Nutty

Makes me smile ! For BDS members only.

BDS Love to boast that they are NOT a pro stalking Group, but a Deer welfare group !

Strange they love to make their money from Stalkers, And one they have extracted as much as possible from Level 2 then the FC will want a higher qualification, and BDS will gladly agree to more free money !

The real reasons for the course is the take up is very small next to Level 1 courses. And IF it's NOT supported then the award loses its value, and the whole DMC thing loses momentum.

I have a fair bit of ground to shoot on (all I will ever need) and would never consider doing DSC2. How would having it enhance my life?? Would I get cheaper insurance? Better prices at the game dealers?

I'm pretty sure there will be people whose only chance of getting stalking is on an FC lease and their only chance of getting an FC lease is doing a DSC 2 in this manner. Why not let them? We should be complaining about the commission created demand, not the BDS' supply.

I saw this and thought I would post on here might be of use to some. It seems a very reasonable rate There is more info on there web site about it..

We have modernized our Deer Stalking Certificate 2 (DSC2) by signing up a 1,000-acre deer park in Sussex to help candidates with no access to their own stalking ground complete the three witnessed deer stalks. The two day package is offered at an affordable all-inclusive price of £492.

I'm very much a supporter of the BDS but with offers like this the L2
qualification is at serious risk of looking like a ' pay your money, here's your
certificate' type of malarkey... 1000 acre deer park indeed !!!

I have always been a bit sceptical of the DMQ qualifications but have taken and passed the level 1 and have to say enjoyed it but it has not been of any noticeable advantage - yet.. I also read this with some disappointment as I did with another supplier. I to feel its a step in the wrong direction.

I don't have my own land right now but stalk un accompanied on paid days due to my experience alone and nothing to do with any qualifications.

To do level 2 would not need anyone to have their own land just a little more expensive and planned.

Still thinking about taking it on or not but it would be for fun not any need that I would do so and not over a weekend.

all inclusive.......would that be with accommodation an scoff then ?

No. Here is the link to the full details: DSC2 Portfolio Evidence Gathering Scheme

This, and the latest issue of DeerBytes, is the first I've read of the new offering. I've not made use of the scheme and don't know the deer park involved, so I can't offer any qualified comments on its suitability or otherwise.

My one observation is that there are plenty of threads on this Site complaining about the time and cost taken to complete DSC2, with all sorts of ideas (smart and otherwise) about how to make it cheaper/quicker/less onerous. I read some of the responses above and it smacks to me of "don't change DSC2 because it will let others become qualified without having access to their own ground". At least so far as I'm aware, having your own ground to stalk on has never been a requirement for DSC2, so why would you want to make it one now?

willie_gunn

WG. You are correct regards numerous thread regarding lv2 and how to make it easier etc. I know you dint need to have ground to allow a person to take it but...... Gaining the relevent experiance towards attaining lv2 from lv1 is what in my eyes this scheme could remove. Ok a person who is very good at schooloing could pass level1 1 week then perhaps sit this course within a few weeks sit and pass lv2 with there 1st 3 deer. But personally I believe there should be time between gathering experiance and gathering knowlage between the 2.

Nutty

May be just me but the line "to help canditates with no access to their own ground" contradicts the reason level 2 is here!!! We do level 1 which is classroom based go and hone our skills then apply for level 2. Then prove we know what weve learned. How does a canditate do this with no ground of their own? Paid stalks? No offense but how does following a pro, being shown a beast, told where to shoot it then watch it being gralloched and dealt with, enhance the level 1 towards the level of experiance needed to sit level 2?

Nutty

If you are working towards level 2 then you'd be mad to let the guide take you by the hand and do the gralloch etc. Just going out and doing something repeatedly on your own ground many times does not magically confer proficiency - you might be really good at a really poor gralloch.

You can try to put level 2 up on a pedestal if you chose. Say people should have shot a thousand deer and been shooting for 30 years.

It's all very simple - level one is the theory. Level 2 is the practical expression of that. If we are putting venison into the food chain it should be to level 2 standard. It's a massive disservice to the consumer buying the venison otherwise. It's not a magical climax of your stalking career, you're just showing you can do it right 3 times in front of someone who can. Level 2 is a basic level.

Nutty

I agree with you, but I've read plenty on here before from people saying almost exactly the opposite; e.g. DSC2 should only need one cull, not three, etc.

Reading the BDS details they say that the only guarantee is that you'll see deer and that if you don't have the expertise to achieve the required standard all you'll be buying is 2 days of training. I can imagine some people who will pay will expect to get their certificate regardless, but the proof of the pudding will be reading about those who don't.

willie_gunn

If you are working towards level 2 then you'd be mad to let the guide take you by the hand and do the gralloch etc. Just going out and doing something repeatedly on your own ground many times does not magically confer proficiency - you might be really good at a really poor gralloch.

You can try to put level 2 up on a pedestal if you chose. Say people should have shot a thousand deer and been shooting for 30 years.

It's all very simple - level one is the theory. Level 2 is the practical expression of that. If we are putting venison into the food chain it should be to level 2 standard. It's a massive disservice to the consumer buying the venison otherwise. It's not a magical climax of your stalking career, you're just showing you can do it right 3 times in front of someone who can. Level 2 is a basic level.

Agreed regards your comment about doing the grallochs in an accompanied stalk situation.. But thats what could happen.. I also agree its not the magical climax, thats why Ive not done it yet, but will this year. I believe itll come across the board before long. Ive a highseat on my ground where I could sit for a full day be confident of taking 3 beasts from. Boom done in a day...

Nutty

Nutty

I agree with you, but I've read plenty on here before from people saying almost exactly the opposite; e.g. DSC2 should only need one cull, not three, etc.

Reading the BDS details they say that the only guarantee is that you'll see deer and that if you don't have the expertise to achieve the required standard all you'll be buying is 2 days of training. I can imagine some people who will pay will expect to get their certificate regardless, but the proof of the pudding will be reading about those who don't.

willie_gunn

cheers for the reply WG.

Nutty

I completed 1 of my level 2 stalks at this park. Shooting deer in a park is not as easy as people believe. However they are in a fenced area. The stalk is only a small part of a level 2 icr . I think that shooting roe for level 2 is easier than shooting fallow. But thats only my opinion. I personally would not want to do 3 stalks in a park with the same AW
Atb steve

No. Here is the link to the full details: DSC2 Portfolio Evidence Gathering Scheme

This, and the latest issue of DeerBytes, is the first I've read of the new offering. I've not made use of the scheme and don't know the deer park involved, so I can't offer any qualified comments on its suitability or otherwise.

My one observation is that there are plenty of threads on this Site complaining about the time and cost taken to complete DSC2, with all sorts of ideas (smart and otherwise) about how to make it cheaper/quicker/less onerous. I read some of the responses above and it smacks to me of "don't change DSC2 because it will let others become qualified without having access to their own ground". At least so far as I'm aware, having your own ground to stalk on has never been a requirement for DSC2, so why would you want to make it one now?

willie_gunn
dom thanks for the link have now read it

Back