Question for the experts please

StalkingKent

I recently purchased a new Browning X Bolt light weight stalker in 308 cal with fluted barrel in stainless. A colleague of mine was given a very nice Sauer in 308 cal which has shot hundreds of rounds. How'ever he claimed that my new barrel would be shot out and in need of replacing way before his legendary second hand Sauer!
I just said " of course it will" to shut him up, Can you experienced smiths please cast your expert opinions over this post and let me know if my Browning barrel will come in a poor second or will it last equally as long. I regularly clean my rifle unlike my colleague.
Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased a new Browning X Bolt light weight stalker in 308 cal with fluted barrel in stainless. A colleague of mine was given a very nice Sauer in 308 cal which has shot hundreds of rounds. How'ever he claimed that my new barrel would be shot out and in need of replacing way before his legendary second hand Sauer!
I just said " of course it will" to shut him up, Can you experienced smiths please cast your expert opinions over this post and let me know if my Browning barrel will come in a poor second or will it last equally as long. I regularly clean my rifle unlike my colleague.
Thanks in advance.

I will say only this, "more barrels are destroyed by poor cleaning regime then have ever been shot out"

Ian.

If you don't shoot top end loads with heavy bullets you will not burn out the throat, so with normal loads, and only cleaning when necessary, most .308s will not see an accuracy fall off until passing 5,000 rounds.

I wouldn't worry about it to much . The average hunter won't " burn out " a barrel in normal everyday use , regardless of make . As Whitebeard says , don't go over-board with your cleaning routine , a lot of barrels I've seen were damaged by incorrect cleaning methods . You have a stainless barrel , so rust and pitting shouldn't be of to much concern . You have a good rifle and it will probably out last us both lol .

AB

Yes on a .308 or .223 I have heard the 5000 rounds number mentioned too. Whether that would appreciably affect the kind of accuracy we require as stalkers I doubt.

I'm equally sure I heard a story about one manufacturer test firing barrels into the tens of thousands with no loss of accuracy.

Thinking of all those upto 100 year old Lee Enfields in Canada or even the 1940's Kalashnikovs still being used out in Afghan, I'm not sure that there isn't a lot of myth around this subject.

sjb how long do you intend to live? Yes the Sauer barrel may possibly out live that of your Browning because Sauer have a reputation for longevity. But with care and reasonable use your Browning will last a lifetime of shooting, the Sauer will probably last a lifetime and a half.;)

However It will all depend how each is used or abused and a poor cleaning regime be it too much, or too little, or even just doing it plain wrong will shorten the life of both barrels.

As been said in the above, but i would add do you shoot paper ? do you shoot 1000's a year ? tell your pal oh well never mind i'll get over it !! go shooting enjoy your sport and don't worry about such piffle in the not so short term, or until it has happened and i'll bet that's a long way off,:) by the way " MY CATS BLACKER THAN YOUR CAT " !!:doh:

I know of a .243 which has had upwards of 8000 bullets down the barrel and it's still being used virtually daily as a stalking rifle. . It's probably not going to win any bench rest competitions but is still perfectly serviceable.

E.g. it started its life as a range queen.

I wouldn't worry about shooting out your .308 barrel :D

Last edited:
A lot of barrel burnt out is a myth. I have used rifles with upwards of 5000 rounds through them in all weather conditions. That are still shooting fine if it shoots don't stress over it my Brno in the classifieds is older than me and still shoots fine

I've shot the barrel out on one rifle, but when I worked it out I had probably shot over 14,000 rounds through it over a 12 year period. It would possibly still be shooting today if I hadn't shot a large number of rounds in a very short period of time through it.

As to poor cleaning techniques, Brass jags, softer than steel, nylon brushes bound with brass/copper/aluminium wire, softer than steel, steel rods in clean condition & used in conjunction with a properly sized bore guide,O.K., it's all down to cleanliness and proper use of the correct tools.

Heat kills barrels, don't shoot shot after shot down a range. Let it cool down. Sauer barrels don't last any longer than other barrels, I have worn one out in a 270.

Al

Chances are in my experience ,you will have sold your rifle and treated yourself to something new and nice before you need to replace the barrel anyway, also for stalking do you need sub 1/2 inch at 100m? Sounds to me like a bit of jealousy that you are getting a brand new rifle rather than his second hand one! Also keep a good cleaning regime up, it isn't essential with stainless but helps bolt etc run smooth.

As has been said - the sauer barrel will most likely outlast the browning barrel (I believe sauer put a figure of 30,000 before noticeable loss of accuracy - if used with sensible ammunition and reasonable maintenance)

but it on the other hand a sauer costs double what a browning A bolt does!

The sauer is a great demonstration of fine German engineering and precision but in real world terms most rifles group well enough and last a lifetime in a stalking/hunting role.

i am willing to bet the exterior on the sauer will also outlast most too as the ilaflon is a fantastic hard wearing coating.

most people wipe over their rifles with an oily rag and in reality this keeps the condition generally good. It's the drops, dings and scrapes that normally age a rifle and this will happen on most brands!

regards,
Gixer

Can you experienced smiths please cast your expert opinions over this post and let me know if my Browning barrel will come in a poor second or will it last equally as long.

Does either Sauer or Browning cryo treat their barrels? If not, I would expect barrel life to be about the same.

Cheer up, if I get 1500 out of my big boomstick I am happy. Loss of precision usually noticeable at 1200, accuracy not long after.

I believe sauer put a figure of 30,000 before noticeable loss of accuracy - if used with sensible ammunition and reasonable maintenance
Don't believe it. Source?

Last edited:
Does either Sauer or Browning cryo treat their barrels? If not, I would expect barrel life to be about the same.

Cheer up, if I get 1500 out of my big boomstick I am happy. Loss of precision usually noticeable at 1200, accuracy not long after.

Don't believe it. Source?

Taken from another site -

The 30,000 round figure will have been quoted correctly, I went on the factory tour where the Managing Director stated 30,000 round expected barrel life if used with factory ammo, this was with their own barrels on the 202. He even had German Police returning a rifle that had lost its accuracy at 120,000 documented rounds - but defining accuracy is a whole different subject. Even measuring or disproving the claim is unlikely to happen, however that is what they say - it might be good to ask them to prove it!

and also see the comment "considerably lower than the figure quoted at the Sauer HQ"

see question 2 -
http://sauerrifles.co.uk/content/11-faq

Regards,
Gixer

who cares?

they are making new barrels everyday ?

(you become a little pragmatic about barrels with a 300 rum)

I know of a .243 which has had upwards of 8000 bullets down the barrel and it's still being used virtually daily as a stalking rifle. . It's probably not going to win any bench rest competitions but is still perfectly serviceable.

E.g. it started its life as a range queen.

I wouldn't worry about shooting out your .308 barrel :D

+1 I have one that's fired more than three times that amount and still going strong, don't think it will shoot one hole groups anymore, but then I was never capable of shooting one hole groups in any case, still shoots groups perfectbly for a stalking rifle.

If you are a stalker rather than a target shooter then you can more or less forget about barrel life.

Back