DCS Best Practice Guidance

willie_gunn

Has anyone else subscribed to the DCS Best Practice Guides? I have accessed them over the web before:

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/

Then last week I took the plunge and sent them a cheque for £15 as a one-off subscription. They arrived this morning - 74 A4-sized laminated guidance notes covering everything from deer ecology & behaviour, through putting together a management plan, firearm safety, culling and carcase preparation. Have to say that I was impressed with the document - and there are 9 more guides due to arrive when completed. Lots of good explanatory drawings and photos - I wish I'd they'd been available 10 years ago when I did my DSC1 ;)

willie_gunn

:D I have two sets one is the old but very good and then i was sent the new and updated set i must say its the best £15 i'v spent, i would recoment them to all
wayne
amberdog

I also have them, and to be honest I'm using them as part of my Level 1 cramming before my assessment!

Did realise there was a charge for them. A mate passed them to me. Must remember to buy him a pint when I see him next :oops:

Novice

I've accessed them online, but haven't subscribed to the hard copies - Is there extra info in the hard copies that is not available online? Or is it just info taken from the site?

Gez

I have seen the on line version and down loaded quite a lot. Today I saw the hard laminated copy sent to another stalker and I will be sending for mine as soon as possible. Well produced in colour and easy to read. I think well worth £15 especially when they will send you updates.(No I am not a DCS member). Just want to be up on the latest easy to read info at no great cost.
Paul

Gez

It's the same info, but in a much more 'readable' form. I looked at the guidance in more detail last night and it's really very good. Well worth £15.

willie_gunn

I subscirbed about early last year could'nt beleive the value for money compared to the cost of magazines, it has help me alot covering certain aspects & signs eg tracking etc.

Best £15 I've spent; excellent value for money.

It sticks in my throat to say it after reading the nonsense contained in the Draft Wildlife bill from the organisation, they deserve grudging praise for this excellent quality well produced resource.

Don't hesitate to buy the BPG, and please respond to the Bill.

herne

Received my copy during the week and hve to admit they are well worth the money. Even if it did take a couple of weeks from ordering to getting them. (apparently the only person that can dispatch them was on holiday :rolleyes: )

Agreement here

Subscribed to the BPG from the off and have found it to be an excellent resource of clear and concise information. Heartily recommend it to anyone interested in raising their game.

I have it and must say the chaps who have wrote this have covered just about any eventuality.Its a great way to learn i read just about anything that comes out and this will certainly leave toilet rings on my ass and DVT in my lower legs ;)

As said before the best £15 I have spent. I sent my cheque after seeing it at Stones' dog day.
I had a couple of letters through the post yesterday regarding a demonstration/training type of day, all FOC. All you do is fill in the form and post it off BUT it's in Ross shire? which is about 450m each way for a one day event :(

I wish we had something like this south of the border or do we?

Jonathon

The best practice days have been mainly run in the hard to reach places this is because they the DCS were at one time the RED DEER COMMISSION .Every thing has to change and it will but the chance are it will be slowly. I have contacted the DCS and have been told that because the central belt now has an interest there will be a best practice day arranged down here. I would if i stayed in England contact the DI peter Watson of the DI and Alister McGugan of the DCS both wrote the guided together. Might be worth a try. ;)

I've been criticised in the past for being outspoken about the best practice guide, becuase it's not prctical or at times possible to apply it's advice to red deer stalking on the open hill, what I will say though is to remember it's a guide, not a law, and you're still allowed to ignore some of what it advises! ;)

Good to hear positive comments on the guide, [I didn't expect Roz to go with the flow:)]
I was involved in writing up a few of the guides and we were pretty thorough in seeking as many views as possible before printing, all guides have to be ok'd by the BP panel which is made up of
SGA
BDS
BASC
ADMG
FC
and many others, so they are generally well thrashed out.

Well I signed up after reading these posts & I have to say when it arrived yesterday I was mightily impressed. I have looked at the on-line ones in the past but these coloured copies are in a much more readable format

Looking forward to gleaning more info from them.

Chris

having been one again of the followers and signing on the advice of this thread i have to say i am impressed as i reciveed mine today and they are worth £15 pound of anybody's money

Back