When do roe bucks shed their antlers

Cyres

OK I know I should know the answer to this but last week whilst out magpie culling with the .22lr I saw a mature doe with 2 followers the buck follower still had a complete set of white tipped antlers which were a couple of inches above the tops of his ears.

I assume he was a follower as he was clearly smaller than the mature doe but bigger than the young doe. Range was 250yds and a bit dull but clearly had antlers.

VS two days earlier son and friend when out with air rifles all but stepped on 4 roe and the big buck had well develope antlers in velvet.

I thought mature bucks shed early winter and youngsters later.

What are other members observations this year.

Thanks

D

I saw a few bucks in the last few weeks and they had not all shed .the more mature bucks seem to have shed leaving the immature still with the head gear .
norma

what norma said... older bucks cast as early as October, whereas juveniles can still be in antler in December

I came across a buck in velvet last week and his antlers were just over the tips of his ears.

As above, saw a big buck a couple of weeks ago, in velvet but with a fairly well developed head already.

as well as cast 1st the older bucks will also be the 1st to start to shed there velvet not to sure why they do this must be some reason behind it tho?

I was on a pheasant shoot last weekend and saw a fantastic buck still in hard antler, not what I was expecting to see in late December.
ATB for 2014 - 243 Stalker.

Saw a nice roe buck still in hard antler this morning on the drive back from my ground , not enormous but maybe a bronze medal head , was quote surprised to see it still in antler but I'm thinking this mild weather may be to blame

as well as cast 1st the older bucks will also be the 1st to start to shed there velvet not to sure why they do this must be some reason behind it tho?

Roe are a bit different to the others, as well as the does being able to retain a fertilised egg (delayed implantation)... the bucks have the ability to cast and regrow antlers in the winter months even though food is scarce. They must be able to store the nutrition and minerals needed to grow antler. Casting of the antlers in late autumn coincides with extremely low testicular testosterone levels. Older bucks will generally have a lower testosterone level than a juvenile.

as early as October and as late as January,shot a reasonable buck middle of October this year that had two antlers when he went down and on hitting the ground one antler just fell off.

Thanks for all the replys, so its not just me who appears to being seeing mature bucks both in hard antler and velvet, it has been a very strange year.

D

Has anyone clocked the photo of the roebuck coming through the line on the shoot in nNottinghamshire in this week's shooting times? He seems well on for the first week in December.

Novice

Back