What I legally classed as a moderator

jimmy milnes

Right guys any help would be much appreciated from anyone who knows the legal standing the the next question

What is classed as a moderator?

Back in the day when a mod was a non strip able unit black was black and white was white but now that units are able to be stripped down to component parts what is a mod?
As I have a cmm4 mod say I burnt out the aluminium baffles or need a different thread size what's the standing does the whole unit require swapping or can I order a different thread end part ?
If not is a muzzle break ''screws onto end exactly the same'' classed in the same respect

Now I have inquired with the license dept. but they didn't really seem sure by there tone of voice

Regards
Jimmy

Right guys any help would be much appreciated from anyone who knows the legal standing the the next question

What is classed as a moderator?

Back in the day when a mod was a non strip able unit black was black and white was white but now that units are able to be stripped down to component parts what is a mod?
As I have a cmm4 mod say I burnt out the aluminium baffles or need a different thread size what's the standing does the whole unit require swapping or can I order a different thread end part ?
If not is a muzzle break ''screws onto end exactly the same'' classed in the same respect

Now I have inquired with the license dept. but they didn't really seem sure by there tone of voice

Regards
Jimmy

Nobody really seems to know, but I know Wildcat are happy to sell component parts of their mods off-ticket and are definitely happy that the police (at least in west mercia) don't have a problem with that.

As SS, I have exchanged over the counter one old Mod With nvm no name for another good unit NVM, ie you walk in with one faulty and you only walk out with one so no more or less than you started but in good order . I also added a baffle to my atac 17hmr when I had one with no problems as it was only a ring and of no use on its own . hope that helps you a bit. ask your rfd see what he say's

legally grey!

considering the "Pressure bearing component" restriction it is only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down!

if someone is willing to send a component with "NVM" I would say it doesn't become part of your FAC listed moderator until
A) fitted to said item
or
B) fitted to the rifle

From what I have experienced it's fine to have different thread sections. It only becomes section 5 at the point it's fitted to the rifle. I have bought a number of sections off Jacksons and they ust send in the post. I would just suggest you don't make up more complete units than you have on your ticket. (ie don't split the baffles down and use on multiple bases).

hi
it seems to be when fitted to rifle a sak rimfire moderator is off ticket when fitted to an air rifle or in the cupboard and on ticket when on a .22 rimfire or is this only rimfire
even though i have a shot gum with a very big moderator on it is not shown on my section 2
taz

hi
it seems to be when fitted to rifle a sak rimfire moderator is off ticket when fitted to an air rifle or in the cupboard and on ticket when on a .22 rimfire or is this only rimfire ?

don't understand the question but...

an "ON Ticket" moderator is one that you have authority to hold on your FAC in relation to it being fitted to an FAC listed firearm.

an "Off ticket" moderator is one that is only for use on non FAC/Sub 12ftlbs air rifles and is not listed on your FAC

once you screw an off ticket mod to a firearm you are either

a) in breach of your FAC if you do not have authority to possess a FAC listed moderator
or
b) making your non FAC listed/Off ticket moderator NOW an on ticket/FAC Listed moderator.

once B) has been enacted its not possible to legally make it an off ticket moderator again

The fact that they may be completely interchangeable and totally unidentifiable is irrelevant in the eyes of the law

I have 5 moderators
2 T12's, 1 SAK and 2 H100 Weirauch moderators

not one has any identifying marks or serial numbers
3 of them were purchased privately off ticket
3 of them are on ticket, none are named as any particular brand or style.

The 2 Weirauchs are identical, one is on my .22lr and one is on my sub 12ftlbs air rifle meaning one is on ticket and one is off, despite the fact I bought them both over the counter!!

Two parts: First is that whatever the device is, it has to be designed or adapted to reduce the report from a firearm. Or words to that effect see firearms act. If you can find something designed to be something else, but does the job without being adapted, then its not a moderator.

Second part is that a moderator is only a moderator when its manufacturing steps are complete or sufficiently complete that it could be used. I think the firearms guidance document or another police document went on to say that if all the component parts are loose in a box, its still a moderator.

The firearms guidance document stipulates which firearms components are individually restricted/controlled. None relate to moderators.

I've heard this being done before. You're effectively self endorsing your own one-for-one on the premise its ok because they cant track it or catch me. If it were a replacement component part, then ok, but the whole moderator is dodgy ground.

As SS, I have exchanged over the counter one old Mod With nvm no name for another good unit NVM, ie you walk in with one faulty and you only walk out with one so no more or less than you started but in good order . I also added a baffle to my atac 17hmr when I had one with no problems as it was only a ring and of no use on its own . hope that helps you a bit. ask your rfd see what he say's

Moderators on section 2 shotguns are not subject to control, you shouldn't expect to find anything on your ticket. Also regularly moderators on shotguns are integral parts of the shotgun, i.e. not easily removable. In this case they wouldn't be subject to control even on a section 1 firearm.

hi
it seems to be when fitted to rifle a sak rimfire moderator is off ticket when fitted to an air rifle or in the cupboard and on ticket when on a .22 rimfire or is this only rimfire
even though i have a shot gum with a very big moderator on it is not shown on my section 2
taz

Back