2 Roe - one bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel

Just thought I would ask for people's opinion on this one

.270 and a 40 yard shot. The shot was taken and the deer despatched but not by me. Personally I wouldn't do it, what do others think?

Mel

Not clever at all the bullet can change direction travelling through the first beast and certainly could have wounded the second causing unnecessary suffering.

pretty reckless in my opinion. On exiting the bullet could be going anywhere and has already deformed there for will not act as intended through the second deer.

.270 and a 40 yard shot. The shot was taken and the deer despatched but not by me. Personally I wouldn't do it, what do others think?

Mel

Whoever did this has total disrespect for the quarry he/she was shooting. If the person is a friend of yours i would distance myself from them or you may be tarred with the same brush.

Jimbo

A safe shot assumes that there is nothing that will be harmed behind the intended target. We've all heard of, and possibly seen, where a beast far from the line of fire is injured/killed, and that tells you all you need to know about the ballistics of a bullet after it has passed through a body. Sometimes there's an animal lying unseen in the grass, though close observation should minimise that risk.

To deliberately take a shot with the intent of killing two animals with the one shot is silly and dangerous, and is likely to cause "un-necessary suffering" to the second animal, which is a prosecutable offence. If you misplace a shot on a single beast proving un-necessary suffering is impossible, but to deliberately take a "trick shot" that results in the wounding of a beast, if discovered by plod, is likely to lead to the loss of the FAC at least.

2 possible scenarios?

1) Full awareness that the 2nd deer was directly behind the first, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.
2) Couldn't tell what was directly behind the first deer at 40 yds, ie can't determine the backstop, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.

There is, of course, scenario 3. Second deer was directly behind first, but lying down and out of sight in longish grass. With a suitable backstop the shot could be considered safe, with the second beast only being discovered after the shot is taken.

2 possible scenarios?

1) Full awareness that the 2nd deer was directly behind the first, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.
2) Couldn't tell what was directly behind the first deer at 40 yds, ie can't determine the backstop, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.

However the OP does seem to suggest that scenario one was the case, in which case the shooter should have the rifle firmly wedged where he can't reach the trigger!

There is, of course, scenario 3. Second deer was directly behind first, but lying down and out of sight in longish grass. With a suitable backstop the shot could be considered safe, with the second beast only being discovered after the shot is taken.
Exactly, the 3rd scenario, we dont have the full facts, so how can the stalker be tried and hung by us on the forum?
Cheers
Richard

Mel

Here we go again!!!

For a start ANYONE who has stalked enough will have had it happen to them. Occassionaly you will find yourself in a situation where as far as you and the whole world is concerned there is ONLY ONE DEER in front of you. You take the shot and find two deer laying there. I am suprised that some of the more experienced stalkers on here have again jumped to conclusions and commented on a post without knowing the full details.

So two deer with one bullet, so what I ask!! no one said anyhting about the shot being unsafe in the initial post did they. And yet people again are commenting about an unsafe backstop, where was that mentioned?

Ok heres a question for all those experts, how many of you have shot two deer when you thought there was only one. Answer me for a start off.

So before a post is put on here from someone who apparently was not even present when the shot was taken, I should consider what you post before jumping to conclusions.

ATB

Sikamalc with finger poised on the delete button.

OH and by the way before anyone thinks about it, the initial post was not refering to me.

I learned this lesson the hard way also , Iwas on a buck in falling light with ****ing down rain .

I got to within 100 mtrs and I knew the shot was on I was 100% on the shot and as the buck went down after the shot I saw a movement to one side.

Thinking this was the lad's last thros i thought nothing more, until I got to the buck and found a doe at the back of him also.

To say I was totally devastated was an under statement.

I do believe there was nothing I could have done about that as I checked for all back stop's ect but is was a freak accident that I will never forget.

What I will say after that is I learned a hard lesson and as my old mate and stalking mentor said once you let that bullet go there is no calling it back so be not 100 % but 500 % before you squeeze that trigger.

Mark.

Here we go again!!!

For a start ANYONE who has stalked enough will have had it happen to them. Occassionaly you will find yourself in a situation where as far as you and the whole world is concerned there is ONLY ONE DEER in front of you. You take the shot and find two deer laying there. I am suprised that some of the more experienced stalkers on here have again jumped to conclusions and commented on a post without knowing the full details.

So two deer with one bullet, so what I ask!! no one said anyhting about the shot being unsafe in the initial post did they. And yet people again are commenting about an unsafe backstop, where was that mentioned?

Ok heres a question for all those experts, how many of you have shot two deer when you thought there was only one. Answer me for a start off.

So before a post is put on here from someone who apparently was not even present when the shot was taken, I should consider what you post before jumping to conclusions.

ATB

Sikamalc with finger poised on the delete button.

OH and by the way before anyone thinks about it, the initial post was not refering to me.

WOO! I re-read the opening post and the OP comments were "personnel I wouldn't do it" which implies the 2 roe - 1 bullet was a deliberate act not an accident, I'm sure you are not alone Sikamalc ad others will have accidently made the same mistake but from my reckoning what is said in the opening post implies a delibrate act.

No, we don't know all sides of the story so can only answer the question asked = 2 roe, 1 bullet. Regardless of calibre that is not big or clever.

270 and a 40 yard shot. Shot two deer are you Malcolm telling me you would not have known there was two deer. Please i hope you are not condoning this action. I have never shot two deer with one shot and believe me i have shot quite a few over my many years.

WOO! I re-read the opening post and the OP comments were "personnel I wouldn't do it" which implies the 2 roe - 1 bullet was a deliberate act not an accident, I'm sure you are not alone Sikamalc ad others will have accidently made the same mistake but from my reckoning what is said in the opening post implies a delibrate act.

I think the word you used IMPLIES says it all. When someone who writes a post and was not even present when it occured, the phrase chinese whispers springs to mind. It does not mention a deliberate act, and this is the problem with posting on an open forum, people jump to conclusions. Having been given the full details of the situation it would seem that the original poster will now be loosing a good friend and his invite to stalk. Not my business but it would appear he will learn a valuable lesson about friendship from now on.

So lets move on and make sure we do not have anymore Kangaroo courts on here PLEASE.

270 and a 40 yard shot. Shot two deer are you Malcolm telling me you would not have known there was two deer. Please i hope you are not condoning this action. I have never shot two deer with one shot and believe me i have shot quite a few over my many years.

I am not getting into a slanging match Davie. I would not condone an action to deliberatly shoot 2 deer knowing they were there. So PLEASE dont tread over any lines with me matey, or call into account my professionalism that is dangerous ground to walk on with me!!

After 30+ years I have seen most things, with all the species and I have no doubt it can happen. It happened last season on a Fallow stalk with a Finnish client at about 90yds, so yes it is not beyond the bounds of possabilities. And as you are not in control of all the facts and I am, having spoken to the offended person I would doubt you would call into account his professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back