Rangefinding Binos

jamross65

Curious to know if anyone on here has used all or at least 2 of the popular Rangefinding Binos and how you found them in comparison? what were the thoughts between Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica options as no doubt some will have changed when the new models came out.

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find anything. I know some will say they are pleased with what they have but it's a comparison in use and ability I am after. Having said that would be interested in any niggles or faults you have found in use.

Thanks

I own a pair of the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD, which I absolutely love.

I have also used the Zeiss Victory 10x45RF. I like them both, the only comment I would say about the Zeiss, they are a bit bulkier and a bit heavier. The Zeiss also has a hold over function which can be programmed in, this could be of benefit for longer shots.

The new Leica Geovids which are soon to become available do have the bullet drop program. I can see myself trading mine in for some of these in the future!!!!

The only limiting factor I have found so far with my Geovids they do not work effectively in fog, in light mist they are OK. I am sure this must be common for all RF???

Leica Camera AG - Sport Optics - Geovid

I can't comment on the Swarovski as I have yet to even see a pair let alone have a go with some.

Cheers

Ross

Curious to know if anyone on here has used all or at least 2 of the popular Rangefinding Binos and how you found them in comparison? what were the thoughts between Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica options as no doubt some will have changed when the new models came out.

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find anything. I know some will say they are pleased with what they have but it's a comparison in use and ability I am after. Having said that would be interested in any niggles or faults you have found in use.

Thanks

Last edited:
I bought the Bushnel Arc Fusions 1600 a year or so ago, they have a split duty; hunting and long range precision. On the long range side I've got readings out to 1800 yards which is superb, for hunting I'd say the glass is good but not exceptional. For the money (£700 ish) I don't think you can really do better. However if you dont need to range that far and glass is more of a concern then maybe the Swarovski / Leica / Zeiss would perhaps suit more.

The stalker we stalked with in Scotland had Leica 10x42's i thought they were very impressive but he said he would buy Swarovski RF's if he brought bino's again. atb matt

I have a pair of swarovski 8 x 42 range. Had no issues with them at all.tried the new zeiss but not the leicas.so far i will stick with swarovskis.i know they are expensive but you get what you pay for and then theres the swarovski back up.

I have a pair of swarovski 8 x 42 range. Had no issues with them at all.tried the new zeiss but not the leicas.so far i will stick with swarovskis.i know they are expensive but you get what you pay for and then theres the swarovski back up.

BIG +1 with the Swarovski RF's. I loved the ranging bino concept but held on for over a year until Swaro launched theirs just because their optics are so good. The only criticism would be that they should come with the Bino Guard as standard!

I'm keen to have a play with the Leica 8X56 RF's and hoping there might be some good deals to be had on this unit once the new programmable models are released.

Thanks

Good post mate I'll be very interested to follow the thread too as I plan on getting one of the three this year. Heart says Swaro but it will be good to follow and get some other opinions.

WH

I have the Geovids, which I LOVE.

A mate of mine has the Swaro's and it is a close call between them.

If I could pick again it would be the Swaro's

That was un till Leica came out with the new version which have shot to the top of my most wanted list.

I have been using the same pair of Swarovski SLC 7x42 Binos since bought new about 17 years ago. Paid £530 for them. they went back for a service last year and now look brand new, although were well looked after anyway. I would probably not sell them as my two lads can inherit them and handy as a spare. I am drawn to Swarovski because of their service and hear good things about the new RF Binos. I also have a very good Leica 800 RF which I would sell to offset the cost a wee bit. having said that most of those who came stalking with me had the Zeiss and was impressed as well. Got by for over 25 years without carrying a pair but would be handy for the shots and ground I am on now I think as I only us the RF when sighting new seats to know the distances. Never had an issue in being quite accurate at guessing distance up to now.

Thanks for the comments so far...

I have the Geovids, which I LOVE.

A mate of mine has the Swaro's and it is a close call between them.

If I could pick again it would be the Swaro's

That was un till Leica came out with the new version which have shot to the top of my most wanted list.

Okay, to save me looking, what sort of prices are the current ones at and what is the expected on the new Leica, as heard they are going to b very expensive. I also have an issue about compromising performance in poor light for Rangefinding ability. performance to ranging sits at 90/10 of importance in favour of poor light use for me.

Looked at both the leica and the swaros but not in the field,prefered the swaros and they are a lovely bit of kit,like yourself i am pretty good at judging distance and haven't quite got in the swing of ranging deer before the shot usually remember after the shot that i've got rangefinder then range it but very pleased with them so far.One slight criticism is that the projections underneath tend to make them hang away from your chest a bit which seems to make them a bit more swingy if that makes sense but they also make them really comfortable to hold so one outways the other really.

The only limiting factor I have found so far with my Geovids they do not work effectively in fog, i

It took me a while to catch on to this but...

If I can see 100 yards in the fog and decide to range something at 100 yards the laser beam has to travel to the target, a distance of 100 yards, and back from the target, another 100 yards. This means that the laser has to travel twice the distance to the thing you are trying to range, 200 yards in this case, and if the visibility is only 100 yards then it simply can't do it. Next time you are out in fog you can check this by estimating the visibility and you will find that you can range things out to about half of the distance to which things are visible.

The new Leicas will be worth a look, how useful the bullet compensation software will be I am not convinced as many people reload.

I have had both leicas normal and HD and i would never buy them again so i sold my last pair and waited for the swarovski range to come out and bought them and i have no complaints as yet.

regards
chris

Hi Bud,

I've got the 10x42 swarovski's and they are excellent, my pal has the leica's, and I regularly use his as well as my own when we are working, The leica's are very good and they are not as bulky as the swaro's but I'm afraid I would have to stick with my Swaro's, crystal clear, reasonably fast ranging and despite the pain in the backside bulge that's underneath them which digs into your chest when lying or crawling, they are amazing and I am pretty sure any of the lads on here who have been out stalking with me will agree:D

Regards

Glen

Back