shields...does anyone have any pics of their mounts?

Lakies

Im in the look out for some shields I liked the look of the ones in bushwear but they are all laminated mdf does anyone have any links to any other place that does the same style only in real wood? or any other websites to anyone else who supplies shields and any picturess of your heads mounted on these? I think I prefer the long nose cut and its hard to get an idea how they would look on a certain shield without actually trying it or seeing a picture of one and has anyone got any of the hand carved shields with the carved leaves etc on it an did it look nice once mounted?

Stalkers uk . They have the ones with the carved leaves your looking for they had them on show down at kelso...atb scott

thanks mate il have a look. im unsure about the carved shields they might be a bit too busy for a few heads in the same room but would have been nice to see one with a head mounted. bushwear ones are ideal just the fact they are mdf.

thanks mate il have a look. im unsure about the carved shields they might be a bit too busy for a few heads in the same room but would have been nice to see one with a head mounted. bushwear ones are ideal just the fact they are mdf.

They are doing pure wooden ones as well in the new catalogue

I got a really nice one in oak off a lad on this site, i will try and find his contact details for you, very reasonable as well.

Hard to tell mdf once its on the wall and nicely stained, or oak laminate as bushwear sell, they will do you a solid oak
small Roe sized from £14.95 up to £74.95 for a Red various sizes and styles with varying prices between those I have listed a bit expensive maybe but as you would expect for solid hardwood.

Some alternatives you could use is to buy a sheet of mdf and cut and router the shape you want or pay a joiner to do it, there are graining kits and stains on the market that with a bit of time and effort will make them hard to tell from wood, last time I did it after buying the mdf and paying the joiner, shields ended up costing about £8 each.

One method that I have used in the past while I like it , it may not appeal to others is to take a slice of a suitable size for your trophy from the round of a log, about half inch thick would be about right sand it and varnish it leaving the bark on, makes a pleasing rustic shield IMO I have always used birch for this, but there is no reason why you could not use oak if you prefer.

Thanks.

bog trotter the thought did cross my mind to take slices off a good sized log and put it on but didn't think it would look as good as the proper shields.

i could get some oak, beach etc and try and cut my own shields out but i didn't think it would look as good if the sides were just cut straight and not with a router.

The carved shields look really good but I don't know if they would make the place look too busy if there was a few put up. I will maybe look into the price of the bushwear ones in real wood I have a couple of red stag skulls to mount aswell but its the same dilemma looking at them on websites and actually seeing the skull mounted on it its hard to tell how it will look.

With the help of a friend and his awesome workshed I once made a few shields from cherry and apple and was very pleased with them. The hardest bit on my own was, as you mentioned, routing the edge properly. That was many years ago and I have since reverted back to bushwear, mainly for the reason of consistency - i.e so each of the heads on the same wall / in the same room have the same shields. I think we made 5 shields but wish we made more - this might be something you want to think about. Let us know how you get on.

You have PM...
Im in the look out for some shields I liked the look of the ones in bushwear but they are all laminated mdf does anyone have any links to any other place that does the same style only in real wood? or any other websites to anyone else who supplies shields and any picturess of your heads mounted on these? I think I prefer the long nose cut and its hard to get an idea how they would look on a certain shield without actually trying it or seeing a picture of one and has anyone got any of the hand carved shields with the carved leaves etc on it an did it look nice once mounted?

I think you will find that Bushwear are buying all their shields from a man called Ian Kirby. I have dealt with Ian on and off for years. Brilliant service and you have a choice of hardwood veneered MDF or solid wood. He makes a whole range of shields and stands for sale, some as stock items.

A large standard Red Stag Skull is £25.00 in solid hardwood, or £20.00 in hard wood veneered MDF. No VAT carriage charged at cost.

His contact number is 01776 854247 and he lives near Stranraer.

Sikamalc

I'm going to prepare my first muntjac long-nosed skull with a view to mounting it this weekend so if anyone can point me in the direction of a hardwood shield or two and fixings, that would be great.

I'm going to prepare my first muntjac long-nosed skull with a view to mounting it this weekend so if anyone can point me in the direction of a hardwood shield or two and fixings, that would be great.

Lawrence Ian Kirby.........contact details on above post by me. Small Roe shield 51/4 inches x 83/4 inches in hardwood £8.30. Medium Roe skull shield 53/4inches x 10 inches hardwood £8.90.

They are all finished in a semi gloss laquer, top work as well.

Malc

Bernards Joinery ones are superb. Solid oak and a very reasonable price, plus he makes them to any design you want.

I had some skull mounts sent from Spain that were on oval black shields and have subsequently adopted that for all my mounts and they look really good.

Malc do you have any pics of head on his shields? Does he do the exact same ones he supplies bushwear with? I'll need to give him a call.

thats the problem with doing them myself is getting them the exact same way and when I get more heads in years to come its getting the same shields to put next to the old ones.

thanks for the replies.

I buy all of mine from 6.5/284matt off this site.They are solid oak and come bare wood you have to stain them and varnish them.
I have tried a lot of others and these can't be beaten for quality and price.Wf1

Malc do you have any pics of head on his shields? Does he do the exact same ones he supplies bushwear with? I'll need to give him a call.

thats the problem with doing them myself is getting them the exact same way and when I get more heads in years to come its getting the same shields to put next to the old ones.

thanks for the replies.

I looked out the recent paperwork he sent me a few months back, and yes he does supply Bushwear. He has supplied most major taxidermists for some 25 plus years. I doubt anyone will beat him for price and quality.
Plus he is a nice chap to deal with and honourable.

I have 5 of these if you are interested them then I would sell for £5 each plus postage PM me if interested.

IMG_2557.jpg

Martin

Back