De-priming live primers!!??

Monkey Spanker

Before I have to start digging shrapnell out of my face, I have a question???:confused:
I recently neck sized and de-primed some cases with a dodgy die (Lee!).
Having then trimmed and re-primed them, it became apparent that the heads were too loose on some of them.
I now have some new dies (Redding) and I'm wondering if I can de-prime live primers and neck size safely?
Also, is it possible to remove the de-priming pin and just re-neck size. Trouble is, if I do that I'll not be able to trim again!
Any thoughts or experiences?:confused:
MS:)

I bought a Lee hand primer and managed skillfully to prime about 10 cases with the primers in the wrong way round.
I deprimed them using the Lee Collet die and I am still intact.
I have also deprimed cases with the primers in the right way round and I'm still intact.
Take all sensible precautions, safety glasses perhaps gloves and gently does it.

I would remove the decapping pin and not worry about trimming again. I have in the past popped out live primers but i would avoid doing so if possible !

S

I have decapped live ones gingerly and never had one go off however if you wanted to be extra safe then squirt some oil into the inside of each primer and it deactivates the explosive compound, then decap as normal. Obviously you'll need to clean/tumble the cases again to remove the oil before repriming etc. but either way, wear eye protection to be on the safe side.

Alex

Just take the decapping pin out and re-size the neck.
Better still, if you can, just screw the decapping out enough not to decap then re size the neck or if you have dies with replaceable decapping pins, some of mine are, just remove the pin and resize as normal.

A Collet die, I'm sure. EMcC is right. Do it his way and the primers are saved. You can also remove the decapping pin and thereby expand the neck.~Muir

Thanks for the replies fella's. I tried removing a live one (very carefully) just out of curiosity and lived to tell the tale! I didn't enjoy it though, and to be quite frank, if I'd placed a piece of coal between my arse cheeks beforehand I'd now have a diamond!!:lol:
The Redding dies come with spare pins so they can obviously be removed. I'll do the rest without the pin and save trashing the primers.
Cheers,

Thanks for the replies fella's. I tried removing a live one (very carefully) just out of curiosity and lived to tell the tale! I didn't enjoy it though, and to be quite frank, if I'd placed a piece of coal between my arse cheeks beforehand I'd now have a diamond!!:lol:
The Redding dies come with spare pins so they can obviously be removed. I'll do the rest without the pin and save trashing the primers.
Cheers,
pmsl :D glad you still about

Back