Whats a good bullet weight in .22 250 for mr fox at 200mtrs?

jp16vrs

Thinking of getting a .22 250 next week and looking for a very good bullet for Mr Fox that is accurate and deadly!

Sako 50gr Gameheads - fab round and good value too.

Also use 55gr Sierra Gamekings in homeload.

Both very flat and uncompromising when they come in contact.....

50 nostler or blizkings do the biz. The blizkings tend to be abit more explosive though.
I use varget or imr 4007 ssc in mine.

Great accuracy and speed

I'm using a 55 grain nosler ballistic tip. got it doing 3770fps using varget. great knock down. goes exactly where i put it. Taken foxy out at 300 yards + off sticks. Zero drop at 200 yards. Have used 55 grain vmax and they do the same.

Thinking of getting a .22 250 next week and looking for a very good bullet for Mr Fox that is accurate and deadly!

The usual rate of twist in a factory 22-250 is 1 in 14 so you wont stabilise much over 55grains very well. I,ve seen some shoot 60 grainers fine and others[most IMHO] wont . Generally anything between 50 and 55grains shoots well in this calibre. Sako and Federal Premium stand out as excellent factory ammo if you are just getting started with it.

I started off with 50Gn Nosler B/T but have now gone on to 50Gn V max mainly because of cost. I use 41Gn of H380 and get some rather large exit holes.

I have taken foxes out to just over 300 yards (Bang on at 200 yards with only about 3 - 3 1/2 inch drop at 300 yards)

Best regards

Wayne

Virtually anything fits your needs. I think you're going for a Tikka T3 so this post might help.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....50-Ruger-m77-mk2-vt?highlight=Sierra+63gr+SMP

Due to circumstances, most of my Muntjac are taken at 200Y with a Tikka M595.

Same standard 1:14" twist, same magazine length, same long throat as the T3.

I realise you don't have this quarry in Scotland, but you don't need ultra high velocity. The .22-250 is much more flexible than the .222/.223 so will take a wider range of powders, and the full range of ordinary SP bullets.

thanks guys, i know most rounds will work, i normally use my .243 win Nosler 70gr home loads, but going for a new rifle and its smaller than anything else that I own. Will let you know how I get on later in the month.

thanks

john

Try 52 grain berger varmint, i use them in a 22-250AI over H380, no exits on a fox, and 1 hole group at 100y.

Dean

50g blitz kings were great in mine but 40g noslers were superb, very very fast and flat shooting to 300 yards, very explosive.

Back