Thunder in the Sky

Tim.243

Once or twice a week the Army fly close by, I also see them out at night when lamping, however this afternoon things got a lot closer and much louder.

To be honest my first thought was the air ambulance...however after grabbing my phone and legging it over the field it had landed in the extended garden of the house across the road.
I could make out Navy on the tail...

A few people in the garden taking pictures, I am sure the visit will be forth coming soon.

A bit windy when it took off lol..

Tim.243

Last edited:
very nice,

I get buzzed every day and night, not had one in the garden yet, but very close,

bob.

Fantastic!!

Wasn't there a pilot, a few years back, who got reprimanded for landing near his favourite village butchers to pick up an order?
Hope this won't lead to something similar.

Three memorable flights for me, as a laddie growing up in Forfar, were.
A brilliant dog fight between a Phantom and an F15 Eagle over the Strathmore valley that lasted for about 10minutes
A squadron of Buccaneers fly overhead at such a low altitude the trees swayed in jet wash and I couldn't hear a thing for a couple of minutes afterwards. They flew over singly not in formation and it seemed to take ages for them to fly over, but boy was it exciting for a 11yr old lad.
A Herc regularly flying past the Academy at about 10:30 on Monday mornings when we were in Physics on the fourth floor and we would wave to the pilots and get a wave back. It would be banking having come in from the Lunan Bay area to head west along the valley

Not sure they would get away with the things today that went on in the '60's and '70's in Germany.
I spent most of one Wednesday 'Sports afternoon' cruising over nearly every car scrap yard between Hannover and Hamburg looking for a particular BMW bonnet for a pilot friend.
Another time we stopped for coffee at a farm, we were given coffee because that particular pilot used to cruise above her lake and count her carp quite regularly.
Then there was the time a chopper hovered quite close to our block of flats just outside Celle with the co-pilot taking photos of his intended married quarter !
Yes, those were the days.

Not sure they would get away with the things today that went on in the '60's and '70's in Germany.
I spent most of one Wednesday 'Sports afternoon' cruising over nearly every car scrap yard between Hannover and Hamburg looking for a particular BMW bonnet for a pilot friend.
Another time we stopped for coffee at a farm, we were given coffee because that particular pilot used to cruise above her lake and count her carp quite regularly.
Then there was the time a chopper hovered quite close to our block of flats just outside Celle with the co-pilot taking photos of his intended married quarter !
Yes, those were the days.

From what my Dad said the guy is connected to a military museum so it might have been something to do with that....!

Tim.243

Flown in them a lot when I was a member of a Mountain Rescue team had them landing in some strange places to drop off and pick up team members.

We're under a low fly corridor so get all sorts charging around the place at any given hour of the day. The Chinooks and Apaches are bonkers, but the Hercules pilots are downright certifiable.

There used to be a low fly route (military) directly over the farm in Hereford where my Mum and Dad rented a flat. Very often on a Saturday when doing my dads maths howework (he was retraining to be a teacher - I was at uni, home for the weekend) a harrier would make a low pass directly over the farmhouse at what looked like 100 feet or less and off along the valley northward.
Magical !

Several times in the past I have been sat in a high seat in Somerset not too far from Yeovilton when the navy has decided to that the small woods that I was in was a good place to hover over for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. I must admit to being tempted more than once to adding a lynx to my quarry list. :evil:

Nearer to home we regularly see various aircraft from NATO nations flying low over the house en-route to exercises up in the beacons or using the local reservoir 1/2 a mile away as waypoint or target. I do miss the U.S. A10 Thunderbolts since they moved out of east Anglia, they were regulars. Sometimes when driving on a mountain road we would be looking down on them flying between the mountains and I once saw one fly under a hang glider that just happened to jump off the mountain only seconds before the warthog came along. I bet that guy needed fresh pants when he finally landed. The most interesting that I've seen in recent times was the USMC Ospreys that flew over when Obama was at the Nato sumit.

Last edited:
Well my parents live in remote Northumberland whilst decoying one afternoon I could have had a L@R at two herculeus and had Harriers at silly heights. My brother when out on his horse has had Tornados flying up the valleys beneath him (Cheviots).

When I used to work in Mid wales the USAF A10 s used our work place (blue roof) as a turning point and were low, infact they were going inbetween mature oak trees. I spoke to a pilot at the IAT at Fairford ( Gulf war 1) about this and yes he knew where i worked and did sya they did on occasisons get very low.

Most memorable sight was at dusk one evening shooting bunnies on the Berwynns when a full squadron of Tornadoes came up at full till on terrain following radar mode, probablt at 30 secs intervals most fantastic sight as they all went up the same route.

Also was fishing close to Faiford the day the US used B2's to knock out all the power in Sarajeovo, heard and watched the whole flight take off, awesome military might, not sparing on the gas as they took off with full payloads.

Lastly skiing at Les Arches and was watching flights of B52'S on route to bomb targets in Iraq, all you could see were silver dots and vapour trials.

D

A family member used to be an Ariel rigger at edzell base , yank operated listening post , it's at the foot of the angus Glen's ( glen esk)
Said the base commander used to get right himo with tornado boys , I'm assuming from leuchars, said they come down glen esk low level all way then pop out bottom & buzz the base ... Boss used to get right angry , never managed to pick em up till they were on top of them ...

Paul

Spent 26 years around the roar of various aircraft, and have lost the hearing to prove it. My first military job had me in a small control truck sitting off the end of the runway during Red Flag exercises. Got to see everything in the US, Brit, and Canadian fighter inventory on a daily basis.

Right now I live about 5 miles from the airfield of the largest army base in the US. Not sure what is more "interesting", the multiple ship sorties over the house or the "thunder" from the artillery range 15 miles away.

Anyone been out lamping and had the police chopper put the spot on you?

Smile and wave, smile and wave...

Yup, been there, when the copper chopper was out looking for an older gent that had gone missing. I was walking across a field with a rifle in one hand and a couple of rabbits in the other and probably looking even more dodgy than normal. I fully expected a squad car to be waiting for me when I got back to where I'd parked up, but I saw no-one.

Used to go fishing at Windermere for Brown trout and the A10's and tornadoes used to fly low the length of the lake and very close to our 'spot', the noise of the A 10 engines was so quiet you couldn't hear them coming and then, there they were - Whispering death is right.
On an amusing note was in Wales once coming back from a 3 day fishing trip/sightseeing tour with the lad and stopped to look at a craft shop under a cliff, or built into a quarry. Bit of aircraft noise and 2 f-15's literally screamed ove over the top of the cliff followed by 4 more at intervals of about 2 minutes - must have been part of the Mac loop traffic - god, they are noisy. lovely though to see the vapour coming off the whole wing in a tight turn above us.
I did however see a Vulcan take off at Farnborough on re-heat when I was 10 (long time ago) and nothing other than that and the lightning can stir the blood so much with their awesome power.

I did however see a Vulcan take off at Farnborough on re-heat .

The famous Vulcan howl

Many years ago (when the Cold War was hot) I was at Scampton when they scrambled the Vulcan Wing - that really did make your head hurt. Environmental 'issues', fuel economy and lean burn jets took second place to "Get it in the air - quick!"

The famous Vulcan howl

Many years ago (when the Cold War was hot) I was at Scampton when they scrambled the Vulcan Wing - that really did make your head hurt. Environmental 'issues', fuel economy and lean burn jets took second place to "Get it in the air - quick!"

Brilliant stuff. Particularly if you consider that the Chief Designer of the Vulcan was Roy Chadwick, the same guy who designed the Lancaster. What a leap of technology in so few years.

Back