wasted 2 hours

ezzy6.5

The missus is away for a few nights so I have taken the opertunity to get some reloading done as I was down to my last 3 rounds of .270
All was going swimmingly, I had resized, cleaned and primed last night so all I had to do was charge the cases and seat a bullet.
I charged 80cases with N160 and seated the last 6 bullets from a box of gamekings. I went upstairs and got the next batch of bullets, sat at the press, opened the box only to find flat bottom not boat tail! It seems I bought 400 pro hunters by mistake Dooooh...

I have had to pour the powder from 74 cases back into the tub. oh how I laughed.

Ezzy

Without even an ounce of curiosity about how well then may shoot? Or had you tried them before? ~Muir

No I hadn't tried them before. I had a conversation with someone last week about trying them as is like a bit more bullet in the case than I get with the gamekings. I will definitely try them but I didn't want a mix of gamekings and prohunters loaded so will wait until I can test them properly. The prohunters shot better in my Ruger no 1 so are worth a try but gamekings shoot about 12mm so near enough for me.

Ezzy

i would try them.you might be surprised they are a better bullet.in my 25cal than the g/king

I actually prefer the flat bottomed bullets. For my shooting I cannot see the need for boat tails as I don't as a rule shoot any distance. I believe they say that a boat tail does not show any benefit until past 300 yards. The only reason I use them is if I cannot get suitable flat based bullets as happened with the Hornady 139 BTSP. I was using the flat based one then the shops didn't have any so had to switch tot eh BTSP..

So you didn't want to mix 74 rounds of on load with six of another? I'd have wrapped the six with a rubber band and put them elsewhere!

Hornady's chief engineer gave an enlightening interview at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas about how boattails generally don't shoot as well as flat based bullets and how the average hunter will see no appreciable flattening of trajectory. So why then, he was asked, does Hornady make hunting bullets with a boat tail?

"Because customers demand them."

Food for thought.~Muir

So you didn't want to mix 74 rounds of on load with six of another? I'd have wrapped the six with a rubber band and put them elsewhere!

Hornady's chief engineer gave an enlightening interview at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas about how boattails generally don't shoot as well as flat based bullets and how the average hunter will see no appreciable flattening of trajectory. So why then, he was asked, does Hornady make hunting bullets with a boat tail?

"Because customers demand them."

Food for thought.~Muir

No Muir, It wasn't just about the mixing of the rounds. What would you have me do? I had 74 cases charged with 56.0gn of Vit N160, should I have hust seated 74 Prohunters and hoped they shot OK without any pressure problems.
I bet if i'd said that I carried on and loaded them with the pro hunters then there would have been uproar about not reducing the load and working back up.
I'm sure they will be fine and when I get a chance to do it properly I will test them. From memeory the prohunters were a little harder than the gamekings which would't be a bad thing.

Ezzy

as long as the bullets are the same weight i cant see why you would need to back the load off.

The shape of the base of the bullet can make a difference as I found out back in 2003 when I could no longer get the 139 Grn Spire Points and only the 139 grn BTSP's. Seated to the same COL the BTSP shot horrible groups so had to go back tot eh begining and work up from scratch. Most frustrating as time was getting short before a trip to he US and that rifle was the one on the Form 6.

No Muir, It wasn't just about the mixing of the rounds. What would you have me do? I had 74 cases charged with 56.0gn of Vit N160, should I have hust seated 74 Prohunters and hoped they shot OK without any pressure problems.
I bet if i'd said that I carried on and loaded them with the pro hunters then there would have been uproar about not reducing the load and working back up.
I'm sure they will be fine and when I get a chance to do it properly I will test them. From memeory the prohunters were a little harder than the gamekings which would't be a bad thing.

Ezzy

No. I'm good with reducing the load. I just thought you were abandoning the bullets completely because they were a flat base.~Muir

Back