Turning down stalking because of your rifle?

neutron619

This question has occurred to me because an earlier post I made, but I'm interested in the answer anyway and it is a distinct topic (so I hope the mods don't mind me starting another post here).

My question is simple: have any of you ever had to turn down or rearrange a stalking trip because the land you were going to shoot on hadn't been cleared for your calibre?

If so, what did you do in that situation? Did you borrow an estate rifle? Apply for a variation for a smaller calibre? Has this never happened to you because you have two (or more) calibres, both (all) for deer?

Interested to hear people's experiences / approaches.

Thanks,

Adam.

PS - For the earlier post, see here: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....uld-I-have-put-down-a-second-calibre?p=655505) I've been trying to work out whether I should also have applied for a smaller deer calibre and what reason I should give if so.

Any land that's cleared for anything up to .243 is probably because no-one has ever requested anything bigger.

afterall a .243 is a necked down .308 making it a much faster round. It's a bit like comparing a .17hmr to a .22wmr (bigger bullet travelling slower)

​I wouldn't worry too much, anyone who takes out paying clients will have their ground cleared for .308

Either,use the estate rifle or apply for an open cert using the argument you have put,conditions should only be for public safety,if the resident stalker uses a larger calibre, why cant you??....using your own rifle is safer than using an unfamiliar estate rifle.........

Thanks both for the replies.

Either,use the estate rifle or apply for an open cert using the argument you have put,conditions should only be for public safety,if the resident stalker uses a larger calibre, why cant you??....using your own rifle is safer than using an unfamiliar estate rifle.........

Good point. The question was only theoretical, but as and when required, I'll remember that argument.

I think you're more likely to be turned down/refused to stalk if you show up with a 'tacticool' looking rifle...or, at least you 'should':stir::lol::coat:

No worries there - when my FAC comes through it'll be something traditional, wooden-stocked, etc. for me. Liking the idea of a CZ at the moment, but I'm not trying to start a "what's best?" thread by saying that.

Yes I have. Only in the circumstances that the land had not been 'cleared' at all.

As far as I am concerned, to have knowingly attended in breach of the conditions of my certificate, ignoring the illegality of it, would have been very disrespectful towards the host and I dare say, if discovered could have landed them in hot water.

I did manage to use the occasion to have the condition lifted from my certificate however so it worked out very well in the end!

I think you're more likely to be turned down/refused to stalk if you show up with a 'tacticool' looking rifle...or, at least you 'should':stir::lol::coat:

I can't agree more!
Mil. style 'tactical' gear doesn't do us stalkers any favours from a PR point of view.

I can't agree more!
Mil. style 'tactical' gear doesn't do us stalkers any favours from a PR point of view.

This is an emotional argument. There are far too many people attempting to apply emotional arguments to stalking, including a very many stalkers for some reason. The only arguments which should be considered when it comes to legislating, controlling and governing stalking should be scientific ones based in physical reality relating to the suitability of the person, firearm, bullet etc. to do the job.

I couldn't care what they turn up with as long as they have practiced and are proficient at putting the round where they intend? and they are safe!

don't forget the M40 was just a heavy barreled wooden stocked rifle to start with?

I'm really hoping your joking because your attitude is all that is wrong with shooting sports in the uk and will eventually lead to the demise of our loved sport.

I couldn't care what they turn up with as long as they have practiced and are proficient at putting the round where they intend? and they are safe!

don't forget the M40 was just a heavy barreled wooden stocked rifle to start with?

I'm really hoping your joking because your attitude is all that is wrong with shooting sports in the uk and will eventually lead to the demise of our loved sport.

I think we all now I'm joking, but I do think they're hideous and belong on the range...personal viewpoint of course..I'm sure many hate the look of my rifles with schnabel, ebony, oil finish, rust bluing, fine checkering etc,,,horrid stuff.

I think we all now I'm joking, but I do think they're hideous and belong on the range...personal viewpoint of course..I'm sure many hate the look of my rifles with schnabel, ebony, oil finish, rust bluing, fine checkering etc,,,horrid stuff.

Just putting some "Horrid Stuff" on my .270 stock, She needs a drink now and then to maintain the gloss.:D, should help to keep the wet out in November.

I didn't think there was any such thing as 'cleared land for x calibre' , I have an open certificate and as such can shoot it where I like as long as I have permission.
There are obviously some pieces of land that are peoples permission that they have informed the police about and that the police are happy for them to shoot upon if they have a closed certificate. That is a different from it being limited to that calibre in the future or another piece of land not being able to be shot upon because it ha not been cleared.
Perhaps police have a huge map with different coloured pens they use to colour in relating to different calibres they have cleared over the 1000's of bits of land over the county.
I might be wrong I just do not recognise the system described in previuos posts.

I didn't think there was any such thing as 'cleared land for x calibre' , I have an open certificate and as such can shoot it where I like as long as I have permission.
There are obviously some pieces of land that are peoples permission that they have informed the police about and that the police are happy for them to shoot upon if they have a closed certificate. That is a different from it being limited to that calibre in the future or another piece of land not being able to be shot upon because it ha not been cleared.
Perhaps police have a huge map with different coloured pens they use to colour in relating to different calibres they have cleared over the 1000's of bits of land over the county.
I might be wrong I just do not recognise the system described in previuos posts.

My understanding was that the police operate a system very similar to the one you describe. Although instead of a map with different. Odours, they have a ed excel document with post codes on. That is how a northern FEO described it to me any how...

An open certificate with the condition:
'The holder may shoot on any land where he has been granted permission to do so by the landowner or holder of shooting rights' effectively removes the necessity for the land to have been cleared for any calibre I think. ATB

An open certificate with the condition:
'The holder may shoot on any land where he has been granted permission to do so by the landowner or holder of shooting rights' effectively removes the necessity for the land to have been cleared for any calibre I think. ATB

That's a big ask on first application... Good luck

That's a big ask on first application... Good luck

That's pretty much what I have, with the proviso that it is "land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police" or words to that effect. To all intents and purposes, it's open, in the sense that there's nothing that I'm likely to want to do that I won't be able to.

I can't agree more!

That's a slippery slope though. Just because the uneducated think it 'looks' more dangerous isn't a good reason to stop using it. That will just lead on to further restrictions.

That's pretty much what I have, with the proviso that it is "land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police" or words to that effect. To all intents and purposes, it's open, in the sense that there's nothing that I'm likely to want to do that I won't be able to.

Thats a closed certificate, as the Police must clear the land before you shoot on it.

Back