Gamekeeper jailed

I think it was a bit of a benchmark case (and please correct me if wrong) i think all/most the evidence was from hidden trail cams placed on the estate by others with no permission to be there. I think this is 1 of the first times secret filming like this has been allowed. There was certainly some fuss made about this sort of video'd evidence being used

I think it was a bit of a benchmark case (and please correct me if wrong) i think all/most the evidence was from hidden trail cams placed on the estate by others with no permission to be there. I think this is 1 of the first times secret filming like this has been allowed. There was certainly some fuss made about this sort of video'd evidence being used
CCTV in the countryside

Everyone has to uphold the highest standards of every aspect of shooting as you never know the time or place when we could be put under the microscope of video/pictures uploaded to internet via any of the many haters of a legitimate sporting ongoings or indeed the powers that be of the courts etc. Don't give them the opportunity and they will not have any cause to further restrict us in what we do.

Thanks gixer that's what I was looking for

Suggest you read the above link before plunging in to defend the guy, much as I suffer from buzzards on my game shoot, I'll use every legal method to deter them, rather than open myself to be prosecuted as laid out in the link. Wasn't just one bird or one species he "knocked on the head". Raptors will become/are a huge issue for keepers now and in the future, dealing with them illegally is going to get you into big trouble. deerwarden

So ........... how do land owners stand with regard to banning rspb, rspca etc from their land? Can it be done . will it be done???

If it is agreed by society to allow the increase in the number of apex predators,such as Goshawks in the countryside, then more gamebirds will have to be put down, to mitigate the losses to the predators. Who is going to pay for that? The cost of shooting will go up and up making it all the more out of reach to most people of "normal" means. Same thing is happening to fish stocks with the rise in Otter numbers around the country. Buzzard numbers are really high in Devon and Dorset, with Raven numbers quickly following. Ground nesting birds and small animals will pay an increasing price as numbers increase still further. Goshawks and Pheasants are not good bedfellows. " The Lion does not lay down with the lamb........ It eats it" as David Attenborough said

Last edited:
U are right lakey unfortunately many already vulerable species populations will pay the price.

As for game birds, at least with buzzards its relatively easy to discourge them and provide enough cover that ur actual losses are minimal and sustainable/bearable, not the case with Goshawks, we're havin to resite an entire pen this year purely due to goshawk preditation, the fear and disturbance/panic they cause is unbelievable. Not even killing big numbers but putting so many over the wire or scaring them so much they are scared to come out from cover to feed. But if the goshawk finds the rest of my pens i have no idea wot to do (any advice from folk who are usd to them, ours is only transient and cones for 4 days at a time which is too much).

To be honest lakey putting more birds down is not the answer as ur only feeding more predators, and it will just be a cycle and it will just continue until it's no longer vaible releasing birds. Which is off course exactly wot some people want!!
And i dinae think u will ever generate much sympathy for game shooting appealing/moaning that shooters have to pay more to shoot a bird, it plays right into there hand and re-inforces the image they wot to put across that its only a toff's sport

The only way is education, educate the general public (who mostly won't give a flying duck abot BoP's, far more important things to worry about) and more importantly educate the press and university students esp if doing environmental type degree's.
Almost all BoP numbers are at the highest population ever recorded, which is not the picture some would have u believe, the headlines should be the red listed birds that should be present in hundreds or thousands, not birds that should always be rare given they are top end appex predators

The thing that gets me is that I understand the guy did wrong and there is no defense for that but you get some little 20 year old ned in a hoodie that mugs an old lady and they get a slap on the wrists or the old "victim of circumstance" thing - why then do people who have lived a relatively sensible life but make a couple of mistakes get the book thrown at them and get jailed? that is the silly thing, its like they made an example of him which is not fair.

Regards,

Gixer

The thing that gets me is that I understand the guy did wrong and there is no defense for that but you get some little 20 year old ned in a hoodie that mugs an old lady and they get a slap on the wrists or the old "victim of circumstance" thing - why then do people who have lived a relatively sensible life but make a couple of mistakes get the book thrown at them and get jailed? that is the silly thing, its like they made an example of him which is not fair.

Regards,

Gixer

= Agendas

K

I have heard of this happening from time to time, with stories of poison bait being put out for raptors etc.. I can understand if a shoot is losing a lot of birds to one ten somebody make take it upon themselves to deal with 'the problem', as they see it but killing wild birds of prey is just wrong. So am not surprised that someone got done for it. It may well deter others...

Was he doing it on his own initiative or under pressure from his bosses ?? :(

Nice question:

Vicarious Liability
The tort doctrine that imposes responsibility upon one person for the failure of another, with whom the person has a special relationship such as employer and employee ............

K

Agenda or not it's not right as I assume this guy has lost his livelihood as well as his freedom, even if his employer was willing to keep him it would be difficulty to be a keeper with no access to firearms and he will obviously no longer have them.

Back