Not a nice way to go

eggy s

I found these 2 boys in a proper tangle today. One was dead when I arrived the other was shortly after.

The wiring is electric fencing wire.

P1010170.jpg

P1010175.jpg

that's terrible, poor buggers. I hate it when landowners leave old fencing about, despicable practice and in so many instances fencing is over-used to the n'th degree - not sure why some farmers have an insatiable lust for fencing and barbed wire:cuckoo:

Wild life and farming don't always go hand in hand. It's a cruel world and what a way to go they obviously suffered a great deal.

Andrew

do you think theyve been like that since the rutt?

That was I wondered but then I remembered we are in December and the rut finished in October.

It is not a area of the estate I ever visit but it is one of the shoot drives. So I guess it had happened between today and when that drive was last shot.

Good job you were there to do the nessesary, what a waste, can`t put that one down to Mother Nature

What did the farmer / landowner say when you told him :oops: ???????????

Bob

That was I wondered but then I remembered we are in December and the rut finished in October.

It is not a area of the estate I ever visit but it is one of the shoot drives. So I guess it had happened between today and when that drive was last shot.

Very sad and a total waste, what goes through my mind though is that as this is a shoot does the keeper not "cover" his ground that often? If its a drive he must be feeding birds into it... Surely something like this wouldnt go unnoticed for that long.

Regards WB

Shame indeed, looking at the ground its been a while.

With the wet weather we have been having they could churn the ground up like that in a few hours of constant circling in a small area. Look what a few cattle can do round a ringfeeder in the space of 24 hours. I guess the only way to get a handle would be how rotten the dead one was.

Very sad and a total waste, what goes through my mind though is that as this is a shoot does the keeper not "cover" his ground that often? If its a drive he must be feeding birds into it... Surely something like this wouldnt go unnoticed for that long.

Regards WB

If it is a large estate the keeper would not be covering every corner etc, especially with ground conditions like they are.

Also it's surprising how unobservant some people are. I'm not saying someone might walk right past and not see them but I watched one of my beaters the other day almost tread on a dead sheep before seeing it and checking their stride.

The stood animal does look quite thin on the back end, makes you wonder how long they've been there.

A very sad sight indeed. You did the right thing it's just a not a pleasant sight for anyone to stumble across. At least you were able to put the other one out of its misery without delay.
Wingy

The rutting pools are known, usually, but the odd one can get away from the guy on the ground, just one of natures grinds I guess, there are a couple of heads on the wall at Criggion still tangled in that shite the horsey peeps use.

Regards WB

Both of our keepers cover 60kms every day on their feed routes. They cover their ground more than adequately.

These deer where on a hedgerow in the middle of 2 paddocks. There is absolutely no reason for the keepers to go there except when they are blanking in the hedges on a shoot day.

Not nice too see that these animals have suffered, only good thing is you managed to end the suffering of 1 of them.

Back