OFAL - What do you do with it?

Rangefinder

As we all know, ofal seems not to everyones liking although I have to say, I love the kidneys and will always find a use for them [as well as some of the liver] but what do you all do with the livers? I have more than I need and can't seem to give it away lately and I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Any help would be appreciated fella's

Cheers

RF

Local dog rescue might take them off your hands??

Helpful treats when they are trying to train a dog for rehoming...

FRIED VENISON LIVER

1 deer liver, sliced thinly
1 c. flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 lg. onions, sliced
Cooking oil

Place liver in freezer for 1 hour to make it easier for slicing. Using a thin bladed knife cut slices thinly as possible. Place the seasoned flour on a large piece of waxed paper. Heat one thick cup cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry for about five minutes.
Place onions to one edge of pan. Coat each piece of liver with seasoned flour and fry for about four minutes (two minutes to each side). Don't over cook or liver will be touch. As each batch is cooked transfer it to pre-heated oven and keep warm. When all is cooked serve with onions on heated platter.

LIVER & SOUL CREOLE

4 slices bacon
1/2 lb. liver, venison or beef
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 c. chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. curry
1/2 tsp. pepper

Dice bacon, fry until crisp and remove from fat. Slice liver into pieces about 1/2 x 2 inches. Dredge in flour and brown in bacon fat. Add remaining ingredients and bacon. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with spaghetti or rice. Serves 5.
Or as TJ says donate it. :lol:

basil.

Basil
cooking oil....
i use butter when frying the liver
you hav to think about the cholestrol now ,you know :lol: :lol:
RF get a bigger freezer or eat more offal :lol:

stone said:
Basil
cooking oil....
i use butter when frying the liver
you hav to think about the cholestrol now ,you know :lol: :lol:
RF get a bigger freezer or eat more offal :lol:
Sorry all, forget the cooking oil and the butter. Use Carrotino oil. Made from red palm and Canola oil. Brilliant stuff!
basil.

Liver , bacon and onions. lovelly jubbly, and me 3 year old loves the stuff aswell. He will never be a veggie by the amonut of the stuff he eats :D

Jonathon

RF

If you don't like liver, then cut it up into small cubes and cook it on a low heat in the oven until all the moisture has gone. You can then use these for dog treats - they love them!

willie_gunn

Offal

Gents

I can tell you that as a small game processer/dealer we sell loads of offal from the deer that I shoot off of 2 seperate estates down here in Hampshire, the livers from Roe or yearling sized fallow are great.

This increases the retail value of a carcas by about £7.50, which is not big bucks I know but when you consider that some larger dealers are processing up to 500 deer a week then it soon adds up.

Larger buck sized livers are fine to add to pate but be warned if you feed too much to your dog it kind of comes out like a liver sized squishie dump & is black-not atall nice to be within 50 paces of!

Regs Lee

I have to agree with Downwind, I can never resist a couple of liver and bacon rolls after a sucessful morning stalk.

I make haggis from my offal! But I have to be care full of bruisd blood in the lungs and its really tastey! As for the liver I thinley slice it and freeze any excess into portion size amounts.

nutty

If you have a dog I Cube any excess into 1" cubes Which half there size in a warm oven 100c
Like Jerky you are aiming to dry cure not cook so stick a wooden spoon in the door to let out moisture. Some baco foil on the oven floor keeps the wife happy. You end up with very light compact training treats , you can even nag on them , :lol: Yup true . But normally I make a Liver and onion casserole that feeds 5000, then vacuum pack the leftovers for another day .You can also dry the tripe , for this you send your mrs/partner out on a shopping spree and get the air freshner out .
Have fun
TRAPPER.

Thanks guys

Its not that I don't like liver I do, I love it, but I get so much I am giving it away and even these people now have had enough, wish I knew a pensioner or two to take it. Eg this weekend saw another three in the freezer.

If you dry it out, I aint got a dog, lost it in the divorce, cn I eat it? is it a bit like jerky?

Cheers

RF

I tried a recipe for faggots but couldn't get the caul to wrap them in, tried to fry them as meatballs but waste of time as they just broke up. Then hit on the idea of cooking the mixture as a meatloaf - absolutely delicious. Even our doubting friends enjoyed it served up with onion gravy. Great way of using heart, liver and kidneys!

Ofal

Don't know never had it :(
like pigs cows and lambs so deer should be good :)
all my venison comes care of Stone God bless him ;)
But i think the dogs get to these bits before me :rolleyes:
God bless them to ;) ;)

Back