There seems to be....

Si

a lot more green posts than red one's in the the deer stalking opportunities section.

has the balance finally tipped and there are now more stalkers than land available?
I don't think so...

I've just spent the weekend in Sussex and didn't see anyone else out stalking, didn't see anyone in any of the fields on the way down there, not even pigeon shooters. One of the neighbouring fields to our ground has 2 high seats and a group of 15-20 resident fallow but no-one turned up to stalk, highseats empty all weekend and we never heard a gunshot. It's the first week in August, why's no-one out stalking?

Your thoughts....

I have been looking for a lease for a wee while, ideally land where I could get a game syndicate going as well. The more I have enquired the more I have realised just what a popular pastime this is. I know quite a few farmers, estate owners and land agents, so far I have not managed to find any additional land. I would say that in this area at least there are way more stalkers than land.

It has never been easy to find good quality stalking ground, and anyone who has a good piece and does not have to pay for it, is very very lucky these days.

But there is still ground to be had, although in many cases this is probably taken by those recreational stalkers who are able to pay excessive amounts for the rights, and yet only manage to stalk it once a month. I am not knocking those that do, but that is one of many reasons why someone may not be stalking the area. I know that one farm which borders one of my leases is stalked very infrequently, and the owner allows a friend to stalk it, which appears to be once in a blue moon. All the better for me I say as I have a constant reserve of deer coming out to play :D

However what I will add is that of late I have never known the sport of deer stalking to be so popular, everyone seems to be taking up stalking.

I know that one farm which borders one of my leases is stalked very infrequently, and the owner allows a friend to stalk it, which appears to be once in a blue moon. :D

That's probably me :D you're in W.Sussex aren't you?

It is usually the old old story in hunting. Time rich = cash poor "or" cash rich = time poor.
It is the same here in germany.
Martin

certainly north of the border it has been hampered by the weather,rain,rain and more bloody rain.

DavieH

Its quite tight around here for getting good land to stalk on, fortunately we have 1200 acres with deer on which the owners want removed. We are also very fortunate as we have sole shooting rights for vermin up to the deer and no costs involved as its a close friend with the land.

I too have noticed a drop in people out but there has also been a bit of a drop in the number or pests to control, usually when the fields are cut there will be 100's of pigeons/ rabbits, this year saw about 30-50 pigeons the day after and about 3 rabbits.

Who knows whats going on!

Some people like to see deer on the land and if we were to shoot it every day then the numbers would soon drop or they would move further afield. 1st August does not mean I have to get out and start shooting and like to feel I can just go when I feel like it. Granted there are others that have to keep the numbers in check to prevent damage to crops etc but I know of other people who feel they have to be out shooting every time they have a bit of time off work. I regularly see deer whilst fetching the cows in for milking but never feel the urge to take a rifle with me but I know people who would take every opportunity to drop one or two.

I too have noticed a drop in people out but there has also been a bit of a drop in the number or pests to control, usually when the fields are cut there will be 100's of pigeons/ rabbits, this year saw about 30-50 pigeons the day after and about 3 rabbits.

That's what I mean, I've not seen anyone else out for ages. I used to see red filtered lamps on neighbouring land, hear someone squeaking in the distance or hear gunshots, the familiar sight of someone in a wax jacket with a black lab and a gun over his arm walking through along a hedge is something I haven't seen for ages. All that land down both sides of the M6, M40 etc... someone must be shooting it, yet despite shooting being more popular than ever, I was expecting to see a lot more activity.

Back