Small write up of my hunting activities last couple of weeks

The last couple of weeks I have been busy with several short trips to Germany. Apart from my permission in Rheinland Pfalz I have been invited to a permission in Bavaria for 10 years. My Bavarian host is well over 70 now and leaves his culling to me, my dad and a friend. Apart from a good roe ground the last 2 years some wild boar have been spotted in the area.
I will give you a short account of these trips and some pictures.

First I went to my own permission in RLP to try for wild boar. First night I sat in the high seat Ross and John helped fixing last time. Sporadically we see signs of a big boar on the feeding station. I thought I would try my luck. I got up the high seat an hour before dark and I could see that the farmer was cutting a wheat field in the distance. Hmm not the best circumstances as wild boar usually will go for a freshly cut wheat field the same day / night. Decided to stay put for the night (maybe against better judgement). The moon was good, but apart from some roe nothing happened. In the morning at first light a badger got on the feeding station. We are allowed to shoot badgers and because I thought my changes for a boar where slim by this time I decided to take the shot with a dead badger as a result. Later I discovered that the back haunches are good eating (so I am told). I might try it next time. As it was still dusk I decided to stalk towards the wheatfield that was cut the evening before. Arriving there I saw straight away that the boar had visited the fields that night. With hindsight it would have been a better decision to sit there instead of the high seat. Stalking along I saw a fox on the field. I crawled to a better position and took a small vixen. That evening I sat at a high seat where wild boar tend to cross, but only saw 2 foxes which I shot both. It was not my intention to sit all night and thought better a fox then nothing.

The other day I accompanied my dad in trying for a roebuck. My dad sat on the high seat and I called with the buttulo and the Nordik roe call below. That evening 3 different bucks came on my calling but due to circumstances my dad could not get a shot on them. It was still a good experience to be able to do this together as a father son “ thing”. He went himself the other morning and got home with one of the bucks we seen earlier which he called himself. A nice, sort of small quirky, trophy.
My mate spotted damage of wild boar in a maize field of ours. That is early, because the maize is not ripe yet and is only small. We called the neighbours and rounded up some hunters to post around the field. We got the dogs and some beaters in the maize but no wild boar came out. It made us put high voltage on the fencing around the maize later that day. Boar normally get on it when it is freshly drilled and when the maize is ripe.

That week my and my dad also finished a movable high seat which we use to cover crops that are getting damaged by wild boar. Because the fields change each year it is easy to move the high seats around as well. It is made on the back of a small caravan trailer.

Then we went to Bavaria and shot 5 roebuck between the 2 of us. Also cleared some high seats of the wasps and hornets nests. I been stung a few times this year so I rather have them cleared. Normally they are fine if you sit still, but they can be a problem if you fire a shot, because of the air pressure and gun powder they get aggressive. My dad was after a big buck in an area we do not have a high seat, luckily I brought my mobile high seat with me. Apart from stunning view he did not get a decent change. The buck was too illusive and only came with last light or went in at first light. The only real change he got was messed up by woman who appeared magically out of the woods at dusk. Just at the wrong time and place. :cry:

Nevertheless a good few days and thought I would share the pictures with you.
View attachment 18491View attachment 18504View attachment 18503View attachment 18502View attachment 18501View attachment 18500View attachment 18499View attachment 18498View attachment 18497View attachment 18496View attachment 18495View attachment 18494View attachment 18493View attachment 18492View attachment 18505

Write up

Thanks great write up 100% a really interesting insight.

Ps. let me know what the badger tastes like

Regards,
Glendine.

Nice write up h/h nice variety of species too ,what is the position of badger culling over there is it ok all over or does it require a licence Ect .
thanks again
norma

Badgers are fair game just about everywhere in Europe. I'm not sure why they're viewed as so special in the UK, it's not like they're rare or anything.

Nice write up h/h nice variety of species too ,what is the position of badger culling over there is it ok all over or does it require a licence Ect .
thanks again
norma

Badger has a open and closed season (like red deer for instance), i do not need any special license.

Looks like your Dad and yourself did a good job of finishing the trailer highseat. Looks good, I will bring my sleeping bag next time!!!:D

From the photo it looks like you have put it in my favourite meadow near where I shot the uberlaufer? Near to the corner?

Also the lean to highseat that John and I helped you move, looks like it worked well for the roe for your Dad.

Save some badger steaks for me!!! :cuckoo:

Speak soon.

Cheers

Ross

Looks like your Dad and yourself did a good job of finishing the trailer highseat. Looks good, I will bring my sleeping bag next time!!!:D

From the photo it looks like you have put it in my favourite meadow near where I shot the uberlaufer? Near to the corner?

Also the lean to highseat that John and I helped you move, looks like it worked well for the roe for your Dad.

Save some badger steaks for me!!! :cuckoo:

Speak soon.

Cheers

Ross

With the lean to high seat you are right, but the mobile high seat is not where you shot the uberlaufer. Its on the other side of the valley more near the town itself near the cemetery.

Badger haunch was cured and commonly eaten by country folk in Britain until the late 1800's . . . . . . . .It was refered to as a 'badger gammon'.

I don't know if I fancy it myself . . . . . . . mind you i'm far from fussy !!!

attachment.php
I hope this is a road kill :rofl:

Hi Ruud!
Sounds like some great days out in the woods and fields....
Congratulations on the mixed game you took!
I am sure, we will meet this winter...:p
Cheers

Michael

Back