cleaning a 17 hmr

Tipton rod every couple of hundred shots but I clean the mod out after every outing because it get damp inside,

And get a rod guide and some copper solvent. I always brushed mine out with a conventional solvent after the copper clean...

hi there, i found it hard to, normal rods are very tight, so i brought a hoppes 9 bore snake but agian that is very tight to pull through, im taking it back to the gun shop to check its the correct one in the box.
good luck
simon

BTW ProShot stainless steel rods are quite good as well but I prefer a Tipton...
I got my Tiptons from Norman Clark, Rugby.

got a hoppes rimfire kit today but the rods very tight, will have to order a bore snake seams the best option, thanks for all the replies:tiphat:

well hoppes bore snake arrived today, just cleaned the 17hmr with it took ages to get it to pull through tight or what, still got the string marks on fingers but the bore is spotless now:thumb:

i brought the hoppes, but wasnt brave enough to pull it through, very tight so i stopped, there must be an easyer way

Simon try this.

Push a loop of fishing line (20lb is just the trick) down from the front until it exits the breech.
Place a lightly oiled patch in the loop then pull it through the barrel.
Now use the bore snake making sure you pull the snake through in one smooth movement (tie the pull to a door handle or something solid and pull the gun back obviously making sure firstly that the snake has begun a smooth entry into the bore.

Tony

thanks tony, i will give it a go, does it really need to be so tight, i was thinking of triming it down a little
atb
simon

It is tight but Ive never had a problem with one sticking. I did have a .243 one that the pull rope became detached (thankfully I was able to pull the snake back through the breech)
I then reattached the rope using braided fishing line taking the stitching further down the snake then trimming the first part of the snake to a point to give it an easy start. This worked fine and continues to do so.
I trimmed the top of the .17 one as well,, just seemed to help the start

well the bore snake lasted a week, snapped the string last night third time i have used it! back to the rod and patch waste of £18-00 that was tedious gun to clean or what

Back