Varmint barrel on cz .22lr, why ?

private fraser

My cz 452 has a 20" standard barrel. I was tempted to have it cut to 16" for handiness but as it puts three shots into 1/2 inch at 100 yards I'm leaving it alone.
I got it second hand and I'm pretty sure it's got the original trigger unit. I was thinking of putting a Jewel or similar trigger unit on it but, as above, I'm leaving it alone.

I don't really understand why folk get a varmint barrel when you can get this accuracy from a standard barrel.

Barrel heating up isn't a problem either as I can still get a 1/2" group after firing a 50 box of Winchester subs.
Just wondering what others experiences are?.

i dont understand it either my 22lr is a standard barrel 14inches long anshutz and it shot more bunnies than i can count ,atb doug,

Some people like the weight and feel of a heavy barrel - helps keep the sights on target - that's why most target rifles have heavy barrels. But you have to carry them.

i have a nice little anshutz 10 shot semi .22lr fitted with PH Modand i was out the other week on the range in really gusty 20+mph cross and face on wind , rifle scope zero'ed at 50 yards..

100 yards
20140319_101129.jpg

first lot at 75 yards without properly adjusting for wind

1395224674542.jpg But see the difference when the wind drops for about five minutes :) at 75 yards 1395225945781.jpg

Last edited:
try the bolt its a completly different rifle, i traded a auto annie for mine you woudnt think they were made by same company ,not cheap tho, doug

Back