What barrel

Alan413

I am having a semi custom rifle built by Jager SA

I am shooting a lot of deer and foxes
Need to decide what type of barrel to put on it.
Ie heavy , heavy sporter or go light weight.

What do you guys think

Cheers
Alan

Are you mainly walking and stalking or fairly static when you're out shooting?

do you shoot many rounds in quick succession?

The whole lots.
Hill stalking
Lowland stalking
High seats
Lamping foxes
The whole lot

The number of rounds , all depends what is all in front of me

Alan

You don't mention calibre? I just recently picked up a 223 from James with a Bergara button barrel in a heavy varmint profile, is a lovely barrel and shoots perfectly, easy half MOA and accounted for the last 16 foxes for 17 shots, including a 286 yard cub at night, however it is heavy! He is currently building the same Barrel profile in 7mm-08 for me and apparently that is very heavy but that's how I like it though I don't walk for miles with it, if I did then that would be a different matter.

I am having a semi custom rifle built by Jager SA

I am shooting a lot of deer and foxes
Need to decide what type of barrel to put on it.
Ie heavy , heavy sporter or go light weight.

What do you guys think

Cheers
Alan

What's the rest of the build; action, stock, scope, mod etc and how big/strong are you?
Med sporter is a good compromise, I don't think there are many instances where you'd get value out of a heavy bull barrel on a field gun.
If you're lumping a big scope and an ASE bean tin on the end with a heavy barrel you may suffer on the hill.

Cal is 243

McMillan thumbhole stock
Remington action
CG unit trigger

2.5-15x56 swarovski

Need to get a new mod.
Need to sell my xbolt and t8 before I get the rifle.

Sorry mate but theres no such thing as the 'all round rifle'. The Americans have been trying for a century and not managed it. The closest you will get is a fast change barrel rifle like the Merkel, Blaser or Sauer 202.
Bloody expensive.

I don't mind lugging a big lump of a rifle about. I quite fancy a heavier barrel.
My xbolt have fair bit of recoil.
Alan

One factor to consider is that some short barrel 243 may struggle to reach deer legal energy. Personally I would start with barrel length that will probably give the required velocity then choose profile. More potent cartridges may therefore allow shorter lengths which weight for weight would then allow a heavier profile. 22inch sounds about right but I would still check the numbers. Have you considered one of the 6.5 short action calibres as a more flexible alternative as these are listed in HO guidance as suitable for dual purpose fox/deer

I don't mind lugging a big lump of a rifle about. I quite fancy a heavier barrel.
My xbolt have fair bit of recoil.
Alan
recoil in a .243 with a mod shouldn't be an issue regardless of weight.
The rem action is a lump, if you're getting it pillar bedded it'll add weight.
I'd still go sporter profile - it's tapered.

It is unlikely that you'll ever fire more than a few rounds in quick succession at deer or foxes as they tend to run away! Even then, most sporter barrels will be fine. If recoil from a moderated .243 is an issue, then you should maybe take up embroidery instead as it will be slight. You could go quite short with a .243 but it will reduce muzzle velocity. I'd go with a standard fairly light sporter barrel of somewhere between 20-22"
MS

Back