G'day from Dan @ DaggaBoyBlog

DaggaBoyBlog

Hello hunters.

The instructions say I should say hello - so here it is!

I have been hunting since birth as my father has always been a very keen shotgunner. These days I favour a rifle and my wife and two little girls frequently come along for a shot. I have hunted five of the six deer species we have down under - fallow, red, rusa, chital and sambar and have taken very good fallow and rusa stags and only meat animals when it comes to red deer. No luck yet with the chital and sambar but it's only a matter of time. The hoggies will have to wait a while. My preferred hunting at home is for feral pigs, mostly stalking and very close range shooting in thick cover, but I don't discriminate against our ferals and happily hunt all of our available game. Having loved Africa since I was a boy, I have been on several safaris and have been fortunate enough to hunt most of the southern species. Big five experience isn't faring to well but I have a very nice old buffalo bull and last August we hunted elephant but I chose not to shoot as the bulls we found weren't what I hoped for. I will be going back...

Most of my hunting is with a .308 Winchester or .300 Weatherby Magnum. A custom .450 ackley Magnum is my dangerous game rifle (that has shot more pigs than anything else!) and I bought a .450/400 3" NE about a year ago. There's an assortment of other rifles in the safe but these are my favourites.

For the past 12 months or so I have been blogging about my hunting and all that goes with it - hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke - will post a link another time

In my spare time I'm also a keen taxidermist, enjoy cooking especially with hunted game, load my own ammo and enjoy writing.

See you all in the forums.

Dan

Now thats what I call and introduction! Welcome to the site,

DS

The compulsory introduction was a bit intimidating... I was gonna' try the old, "Hello, my name is Dan, and I am a confessed hunter, yet to be officially diagnosed, and not interested in a cure..."

That seemed a bit heavy for an intro, so I thought I'd just get straight to it! With a few adventures in the UK on my mind, I'm looking reward to participating in the forum.
pcheers lads. Dagga

Welcome Dan. All that hunting with a rifle, I thought you lot went after your pigs with a knife between your teeth? ha! I've seen some good clips on YouTube of stalking deer down under, looks great. How about sharing a few recipe's with us? If it's a good one I may feature it on my website. Cheers, Steve

Welcome Dan. All that hunting with a rifle, I thought you lot went after your pigs with a knife between your teeth? ha! I've seen some good clips on YouTube of stalking deer down under, looks great. How about sharing a few recipe's with us? If it's a good one I may feature it on my website. Cheers, Steve

Dogs and knives are popular with the "doggers" and having tried it once I can honestly say I don't see what joy you could get chasing dogs through the bush to then stick a pig with your knife. Keep you fit, yep. Generally a better tally if that matters to you, it does if you're taking them to the chiller for cash! I'd rather leg it with a rifle.

Recipes... what are you cooking!or wanting to cook? Venison? Boar? Rabbit? Goat?

what are your plans for the Uk..?

Hey DS I've got some business coming up in Loughborough and on previous visits I've just not made the time to go out stalking. I'm very keen to hunt roebuck, CWD and muntjac, so looking for a guide to take me out stalking and make the most of a short time away... I do see that the roe deer and CWD don't overlap at all so what I hunt will depend on when I need to fly up. Anyone with a recommendation please feel free to PM me here or send an email...

Hey Daggaboy in these four posts it feels like i have known you for years. Welcome to SD and looking forward in following your posts

Regards

Hey DS I've got some business coming up in Loughborough and on previous visits I've just not made the time to go out stalking. I'm very keen to hunt roebuck, CWD and muntjac, so looking for a guide to take me out stalking and make the most of a short time away... I do see that the roe deer and CWD don't overlap at all so what I hunt will depend on when I need to fly up. Anyone with a recommendation please feel free to PM me here or send an email...

Welcome to the side!
Maybe its worth a try to think about the so called "swap hunts"?
You will find a lot of lads on this site willing and happy about swapping around some fantastic hunting opportunities!

Atb:tiphat:

Michael

Back