Bullet Heads

Crow Man

I have 140, 20cal. 35gr match grade bullet heads that came with a rifle i bought. I don't reload. can I sell them and send them through the post?

Non expanding "BULLETS" are just lumps of metal in the laws eyes and yes may be posted.

There is no such thing as a Bullet head. The projectile fired from the cartidge is the Bullet.

The head is the base of the case where the primer seats and the head stamp is placed.

Tis really very simple.

Bullet HEADS :rolleyes: ....................

still, its always good for taking the urine out of the spotty yoof in the gun shop

Non expanding "BULLETS" are just lumps of metal in the laws eyes and yes may be posted.

There is no such thing as a Bullet head. The projectile fired from the cartidge is the Bullet.

The head is the base of the case where the primer seats and the head stamp is placed.

Tis really very simple.

Thanks for the info and the terminology lesson:thumb:

I have 140, 20cal. 35gr match grade bullet heads that came with a rifle i bought. I don't reload. can I sell them and send them through the post?

Crow Man the question is are they expanding bullets or not? I ask this as several makers describe their bullets as match grade implying that they are superior quality. In most countries it doesn't make a difference but in this country we have a rather silly bit of legislation that prevents you from posting "expanding missiles" as the Home Office term them. If they are bullets not specifically designed to expand then it is perfectly acceptable to send the bullets through the post.

Tis really very simple.

At times you are a pain in the posterior.
On my FAC of 60 years the Police refer to them as MISSILES.
Are they wrong too ?
Tis you who acts the simpleton.

HWH.

At times you are a pain in the posterior.
On my FAC of 60 years the Police refer to them as MISSILES.
Are they wrong too ?
Tis you who acts the simpleton.

HWH.

Well, actually they are wrong, insofar as a bullet is a bullet all the time but a missile only becomes one when it's...

1. An object that is forcibly propelled at a target, by hand or mechanically.

.204 bullets in the 35-grain weight are uncommon.

If they're in a yellow box they'll be Berger, and likely to show a dual use for Varmint and Target. One of the quirks of this brand.

They're definitely Expanding so controlled, and may not be posted. .204 isn't a match calibre, so it's a safe bet that all bullets in this calibre are Expanding.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick Reference Sheets 3-1-12.pdf

The guy who had the rifle before me gave me 140 of these Bullet/Missile/Projectile/Head/Pointy things. Apparently he had them posted in from America he told me that if they are classed as match grade they can be posted. Now not knowing much about these things including their name I don't know whether this is correct or not. Over to the learned ones.

Cheers Tony

Last edited:
I am informed by another site member that it is not an offence to receive expanding bullets through the post in this country but there is no doubt whatsoever that it is an offence to post them within the U.K.. The information regarding receipt was provided to him by his local firearms enquiry officer. So providing that the original supplier in the U.S.A. did not break any laws apertaining to posting bullets in that country it would have been legal to post them to the U.K.

You can disregard the comment on "match grade". What counts is if they are match (target bullets -non expanding) or not. As was previously mentioned some manufacturers imply that all their bullets whether designed to expand or not are of superior or match grade quality.

Last edited:
The Home office use bullet and missile in Firearms Law Guidance to the Police, tis simple really stationary it’s a bullet, moving towards a target it’s a missile for those who like that terminology.

I reckon our colleagues who call them heads have an arguable case - expanding heads can be posted as they aren’t bullets or missiles. Loose that augment and ones shooting career might quickly be foreshortened:stir:

The Home office use bullet and missile in Firearms Law Guidance to the Police, tis simple really stationary it’s a bullet, moving towards a target it’s a missile for those who like that terminology.
What if it's in the post to its target addressee?
:stir: yourself!

I reckon our colleagues who call them heads have an arguable case - expanding heads can be posted as they aren’t bullets or missiles. Loose that augment and ones shooting career might quickly be foreshortened
Unless, of course, the word 'heads' is being used erroneously to signify 'bullets' (or even 'missiles')

Last edited:
.204 bullets in the 35-grain weight are uncommon.

If they're in a yellow box they'll be Berger, and likely to show a dual use for Varmint and Target. One of the quirks of this brand.

They're definitely Expanding so controlled, and may not be posted. .204 isn't a match calibre, so it's a safe bet that all bullets in this calibre are Expanding.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick Reference Sheets 3-1-12.pdf

It looks like you are spot on, so i'm stuck with these unless someone local wants to pick them up FREE of charge. They are no good to me.

Back