.204 choice

Hedgehopper

Hi,

I know that there has been a bit of chatter about the .204 of late. I am fed up with my T-Bolt .17HMR, I just haven't been able to get on with it. Despite trying pretty much every ammunition that I have found, I have been unable to get decent groups. Not sure if I just have a Friday gun or whether it is all in my head but the time has come to move on. I should have heeded some of the warnings on here regarding the .17. I have a .22LR t-bolt which is like a laser but I guess that is a different gun.

Having read the discussions on the .204 I figured that was a suitable swap candidate. I realise that the ammo is a lot more expensive but I don't shoot so many that it is going to overly fuss me.

So unless anyone has a sensible argument as to why it is a terrible swap, that is the route that I am going to take.

So the question is, what gun to buy? My .243 and 30-06 are both Sako 85, and they are fabulous guns but I don't think that I can justify spending £1,500 on a varminting rifle. The obvious next choice is a Tikka and that is where I am leaning at the moment but I am keen to take any recommendations for another make. Less money is always better.

All views gratefully received.

Hedgehopper

Hi,

I know that there has been a bit of chatter about the .204 of late. I am fed up with my T-Bolt .17HMR, I just haven't been able to get on with it. Despite trying pretty much every ammunition that I have found, I have been unable to get decent groups. Not sure if I just have a Friday gun or whether it is all in my head but the time has come to move on. I should have heeded some of the warnings on here regarding the .17. I have a .22LR t-bolt which is like a laser but I guess that is a different gun.

Having read the discussions on the .204 I figured that was a suitable swap candidate. I realise that the ammo is a lot more expensive but I don't shoot so many that it is going to overly fuss me.

So unless anyone has a sensible argument as to why it is a terrible swap, that is the route that I am going to take.

So the question is, what gun to buy? My .243 and 30-06 are both Sako 85, and they are fabulous guns but I don't think that I can justify spending £1,500 on a varminting rifle. The obvious next choice is a Tikka and that is where I am leaning at the moment but I am keen to take any recommendations for another make. Less money is always better.

Hedgehopper
tikka tend to do short barrels which kills the advantage of the 204 over 223 imo for a good fast 204 a 26" barrel is a good length have you looked at loading a 17 hornet? just as quiet as hmr but your making the ammo?

Thought about the 17 hornet but I haven't started loading my own yet. Another project I want to get stuck into but wondering how I can sneak all of the kit past Mrs Hedgehopper! Bought a couple of books to date but not the press and dies etc.

One thing I don't like about the .17 is the wind impact, seems pretty twitchy in almost any breeze. How does the hornet compare?

niether the 17 nor 20 cal are wind beaters but both better than hmr .if you want a cheaper wind beater i would go fast twist 223.i used to shoot mine well ish (at targets) out to 800 yds. downloading a balistic programme and sit there crunching numbers doing comparisons in the eve will help you make the right choice.

Yes GRS stock, I do prefer it fit wise over the std one it came with, but doesn't make it shoot any better. It was a tack driver straight out the box even with factory 32gr Hornady ammo.

if you go Tikka you may compare it with your Sako's, why is this so good why have I got Sako's or why is this so bad I should of saved for a Sako? why not just go for a varmint howa and spend a bit more on glass... just a thought.

P.S. I have a howa 204 varmint and it's bang on out at the moment at just over 380metre last out on hares, it's my fox rifle really and at the price you can get them I don't care about the ruff and tumble I put it through

P.S.S. I only got the 204 while I sorted out the Hornet, don't go Hornet unless you can load your own as H means Hassel, I got there in the end but it was about 16 months, the Howa was out of the box... then got further and further with tweaks

Last edited:
Hi hegdehopper
got a 204 t3 super varmint about 2 1/2 years ago cracking rifle and round. As regards reloading , I live in West Sussex happy to help as much as I can. Just pm me
cheers Gaz

I have the CZ 527 American Varmint in 204. First group was .670 for five shots. The next four five shot groups were at or under 1/2 inch. I stopped paper punching and went out prairiedogging. Haven't need to put it on paper since! Excellent rifle.~Muir

niether the 17 nor 20 cal are wind beaters but both better than hmr

What!!!!! your correct on the .17 Hornet, but there is not much that will beat the 204 out to 350 yards in terms of wind drift with a 39/40 grain bullet. Fast high BC ( for weight) bullets = short flight time = less wind effect. So many times ive heared, "that the little 39 grain bullet gets blown about by the wind, you would be better going with a heavier 55 grain bullet to buck the wind better" What utter rubbish, these people obviously dont know what they are talking about, out to 350 yards the .204's are awesome.

So not much dissent from my choice of calibre which is a good thing. Following Kimh's comment I have done a bitt of reading on the Howa 1500. Lots of VERY positive reviews, long barrel vs the Tikka, sounds like a great stock and a few extra pounds to spend on the glass. I am off to F A Anderson this morning to have a look at options. My only concern with the Tikka is that I always find the synthetic stock feels a bit plasticky and lightweight. That was what pushed me to the Sako on my 30-06. Not so important on a smaller round but I like to feel that extra rigidity in something with a bit more recoil.

Anyone have anything negative to say on the Howa?

Hi,

Hedgehopper
Why dont you take your hmr back to the shop you purchased it from first and tell them of the problems your having ? 204 may well be a good calibre but cant be compared to an hmr there two totally different things.I use an hmr and know of others using them with no problems. If its all in your head then a 204 wont make any difference.

Back