Who uses range finders and why?

Wills

As stated, who uses range finders and why. This only applies to stalking, as I understand the long range crowd test wind and range.

whats more, do you use bino/rangefinder or a separate unit.

It doesn't matter if you only shoot in Scotland or the deep South, red, roe, munty or fallow .. I hunt the lot and have gun, do travel.

Thanks

I use my stand alone rangefinder for the following:

~ to measure 100 yards and out to 200 yards for rifle zero check and when testing home loads.
~ to check distances on my permissions so I know exactly the yardage to certain points.

ATB 243 Stalker

I use a rangefinder, especially if I am sat in a high seat in an unfamiliar area waiting for the deer to appear. I find it reassuring to have some knowledge of how far away the deer are if a shot becomes possible.

atb Tim

its also useful to range find a reference such as a tree, nearby where a deer has dropped in long cover, then when your looking for it and struggling, you can range back to where you were stood and make sure your roughly in the right place..

+1 also some real high long rides can play tricks with the old eyes use a small 1000 yrd burris pro ,nowt better than to ping around the high seat for quick ref when in low light.

I use my stand alone rangefinder for the following:

~ to measure 100 yards and out to 200 yards for rifle zero check and when testing home loads.
~ to check distances on my permissions so I know exactly the yardage to certain points.

ATB 243 Stalker

Ok great, some good feedback there.
To add, do you use them with your scope that has either some sort of graduation or dial in turrets. Personally I like a clear reticule. I note that some brands have ballistics programs so show you the appropriate hold over.
I don't home load.

I use a range finding bino for ranging targets when zeroing the rifles, for measuring the distance to certain points in the field for incase a fox/deer walks out in that area. We also use it when shooting crows over a fair distance. I've also used it when lamping foxes with great success. In my opinion it is a bit easier with a range finding bino, because when you glass the field and see a animal, you can immediately range the distance instead of putting your bino down and then get your rangefinder out where you could have had your rifle up and ready.

For Stalking?
Hmmmm, makes me realise I don't actually need a rangefinder as with a 1 inch over zero at 100yds it's pretty much a case of point-n-shoot at everything out to about 230yds.

For Stalking?
Hmmmm, makes me realise I don't actually need a rangefinder as with a 1 inch over zero at 100yds it's pretty much a case of point-n-shoot at everything out to about 230yds.

That is why I shoot 100grn 243 and 130grn 270. They perform very similar at ranges out to 300 yards.

As others have said they are useful when in a seat for ranging points of reference. They are also good when stalking new ground especially when conditions are not ideal eg low light or shooting across a valley when the sun is behind you and shining on the deer. It is surprising how, in certain conditions, that the deer look closer than they are. I also set my rifle to hit 1" high at 100yds so can point and shoot to 200 ish yds on the larger species of deer. Another technique I use is to range the deer if obviously too far away and also range where I need to be to take the shot. Then just stalk in and shoot.

I use range finder binoculars as they afford me the certainty of a shot that, technically is going to be at the right place, provided of course I do my bit and shoot accurately. I am also inquisitive about distances and keeps me entertained when sitting waiting for the deer to show up!

I can judge the distance near enough to shoot anything I am going to fire at. I have a range about 100yds and about 200 yds to range test fire.1 in high at 100yds But I would like one to find deer shot in standing corn or rape. It would be nice to range them before the shot .Then go to the spot you think you shot it and range back to the seat .It Would save going back for the dog. Its surprising how far out you can be when you walk in standing crops looking back to the seat (and be miles out). Lets face it the guns at the ranges we shoot don't drop that much. woodfordfallow

For Stalking?
Hmmmm, makes me realise I don't actually need a rangefinder as with a 1 inch over zero at 100yds it's pretty much a case of point-n-shoot at everything out to about 230yds.[/Qoute}
Out of interest, without a rangefinder how do you know it is 230yds.
I do use one and, Leica bins, and the next time I am surprised at the distance ranged will not be the first. Different light can change estimated distance dramatically. I also like to have the ability to tell guests, its only 100m or its over 200m, we will need to get closer.

You dont without a rangefinder for certain but I like to think I'm pretty good at ranging out to that sort of distance by eye.
Its when youre shooting across valleys or undulating terrain it gets difficult.

I like to think I'm pretty good at ranging out to that sort of distance by eye.

I thought I was.... until I bought a rangefinder :D

It comes in handy when someone asks "how far do you reckon that tree is?"

"ooh I'd say about 200yds" then I range find it and it's nearer 250 :doh:

I am getting better though as a result of playing this game.

Back