This evenings tinkering, another knife project

digger9523

Been a good long while since I did one of these!

Got a few projects on the bench at the minute. Tonight, or should I say last night, I've been sticking a handle on the bottom one in this pic:

image_zps943b72f9.jpg

The handle timber is stabilised Elm burl and brass liners.

image_zps834fac0a.jpg

This evening, after the timber was cut and flattened off, i drilled the pin holes and did some dry fitting.

image_zpsf9558516.jpg

image_zps16f44683.jpg

image_zpse3db771b.jpg

image_zps31938e64.jpg

image_zps5c295f9a.jpg

She's now glued up, and I'm living the longest 24 hours of my life till i can start shaping the handle. :( :pirate:

image_zps33b91eb1.jpg

The blade is 154CM stainless.

Choon in later on today for the next instalment. If you can be bovvered that is. :lol:

Off up to Norfolk stalking in an hour or so, but got this where i need it this evening.

I'll 'finish' it next week some time, but for now I've left the bulk of the handle a bit chunky so it will fit another sheath this weekend.

Gives an idea about how the timber will look though. :)

image_zps011e06d4.jpg

image_zpsd9853166.jpg

image_zpsc9955cb9.jpg

Fank you, g'night, much love. :cool:

Oh my gods, you are an artist my friend. If you don't mind expect your inbox to full of questions from me.
I am just starting out on this fascinating hobby.
Tusker

Oh my gods, you are an artist my friend. If you don't mind expect your inbox to full of questions from me.
I am just starting out on this fascinating hobby.
Tusker

Ooh i dunno about that! Them ar'teests are a bit..... Ya know...... :oops: :lol:

Pester away mon brave.

Got a few lads on the go at the minute. Must clear some space in there! :D

I was just dribbling while reading this that is a lovely looking knife i hope your going to put it in a nice thickbrown leather sheath

then then send me your paypal info for me to buy it lol

started dribbling again

:)

Looks fantastic digger. The brass scales worked out really well. Are you using a pigment in the epoxy to fill the file work ?

I was just dribbling while reading this that is a lovely looking knife i hope your going to put it in a nice thickbrown leather sheath

then then send me your paypal info for me to buy it lol

started dribbling again

Fantastic work very well done :) do you ever sell any knives ?
atb Jim

Glad you like it boys. :british:

I took a trade membership a fair while ago to sell some on here, but it seems those two commissions have gone south as they got fed up with waiting, despite the fact that they'd gone through the exact same scenario of having to wait on the knives I did for them before! :(

I wanted to get cracking on them over my Christmas break, but my brother died on Christmas Eve which kind of put the kibosh on any and all projects that I had planned.

Seeing as i I lost two mates over it as well, I'll not be doing commissions anymore. Instead I'll just tinker away in my own good time without any fallouts.

For me the knife work is very much a case of doing 10 or 20 minutes on it here and there whenever I get the time.
It will take me many months to do what the likes of Stuart Mitchell can do in a week or so. But then I've done less than 20 knives in my life, that's just a small batch for Stu! :D

So my recommendation is the same as I always say when I get a PM about it, look not to me, but one of the trade members. For therein lies happiness in a short turnaround time. :)

Looks fantastic digger. The brass scales worked out really well. Are you using a pigment in the epoxy to fill the file work ?

No pigment this time David, left it clear.

Was thinking it would allow the brass to shine through on a sunny day. Not had a chance to see if that worked yet though. :)

"All things come to he that waits"
Very nice my friend, I'm sure you enjoy your hobby more without the pressure to supply and long may you enjoy!

No reason not to sell the knives , but just to the right people who are not in a rush to receive a handmade one off quality item!

Good things come to those who wait, i believe is how the proverb goes.

Ade

Not long back in from Norfolk, got to gralloch one yearling Roe doe, and this morning skinned and then butchered up two Roe does with it.

No dramas to report, worked as i hoped. The handle will be sanded down to its planned final shape when i get some time to do it, then i will take it into work and give the timber a stiff sand blast. This will force out any resin that hasn't quite taken while it was being stabilised.

Once that is done, me and a lad at work will stand to with some resin/epoxy that we use that sets in about 6 minutes! Have to work fast with that stuff!

An amount will be mixed and then rapidly pasted all over the handle, and this will fill up all the little fissures that have been revealed by sand blasting. When it's had 24 hours to properly go off and set hard, a gentle sanding down through the grits will bring it back nice again.

Then a quick wipe over with danish oil once in a while should keep it looking nice. :)

Did this process on this handle, and the timber when finished normally through sanding and a polish looked like this:

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

That timber is stabilised Amboyna burl, and it looked a bit flat and dull despite the nice grain.

Once i did the process described it looked like this:

IMG_1475_zps0450966e.jpg

IMG_1476_zps8267847d.jpg

IMG_1478_zps7eae9853.jpg

The owner sold it on here recently to fund a commission with another maker.

Last edited:
Back