Thoughts on a curing get together up north

Legolas

Just a thought at the moment but I was wondering if anyone who is interested in/would like to get to understand more about curing would be intersested in getting together for an informal get together/training session. I'm definately no butcher and am purely a hobby curer/smoker but I've got quite a few years of experience under my ever expanding belt and would be more than happy to show any like minded folk the ropes so to speak and to demonstrate that it really isn't the black art it can first appear to be.

I'm not aimimg this as a commercial venture, just say if anyone involved (me included) stumped up to share covering the cost of a venue (local village hall approx £50 for the day).

We could cover off things such as:

Safe use of nitrates & nitrites in mixing cures
Designing your own cures for bacon/ham/salami etc
Curing & smoking salmon
Making parma ham/veni ham/breasola
Making salami
Making bacon
Anything else that crops up

I figure that if people brought their own meat etc with them, we could design the cures (within the appropriate safety limits) for the appropriate cuts of meat, start the curing process and then they could take them home to finish off the process.

Like I said, it's just a thought at the moment and I'm gauging if there would be any interest - it would be good to get some stalkers with similar interests together and sharing some ideas/knowledge . I'm based in the Yorkshire Dales and would probably plan it to be located in a venue near by.

Cheers

Count me in for sure. I'm sure I know a couple off ere and local to me would attend.

How far oop North are you mate? I know you mentioned this before and I'd gladly drive up for the day as it's something I'm getting into more and more. I have a pigs head to take the cheeks off tnite and get into a dry cure funnily enough to do some 'face bacon'!!

I'll be attending like previously said. My next door neighbour breeds Gloucestershire old spot pigs. I would have thought I could get a carcass at mates rates if folk fancy pork and unsuitable able to get meat. Just let me no.

Good stuff, it sounds like we could have a half decent day of it. I've a few things to sort out work wise etc but if we look at a few dates in a couple of months time that would let me sort a venue out too, I found out that a village hall a couple of miles away has a catering type kitchen for hire so that might be spot on. If we get a date sorted then I can get in touch and find out what you'd like to do and what you might need to bring.

Good stuff, it sounds like we could have a half decent day of it. I've a few things to sort out work wise etc but if we look at a few dates in a couple of months time that would let me sort a venue out too, I found out that a village hall a couple of miles away has a catering type kitchen for hire so that might be spot on. If we get a date sorted then I can get in touch and find out what you'd like to do and what you might need to bring.

Beer, obviously!! :drool:

Looks like this has got legs. I've been to a local venue with a decent sized kitchen that would let me have it for the princely sum of £35 !! How does a Saturday in October November sound?

Just seen this thread, I might be interested depending on the date (Saturdays during the pheasant season are tricky!) but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Just seen this thread, I might be interested depending on the date (Saturdays during the pheasant season are tricky!) but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

hi pheasant feeder, if the day turns out to be useful I'd be happy to do another one at some point after the season

I'm up for it too, and am not far from you. I'm a shift worker though, including weekends, so would be date dependant for me, but am very interested.

Back