sako 75 loads

devonfoxer

hi im thinking of loading my sako 75 with a 75 gr ballistic tip and a 100 gr that way i could have an ideal foxing round and a deer round i currently use 100 gr nosler ballistic tips with 49 grains of h4350 cci primers is there anyone on here that has tried this with much success if this works out then im going to sell my 22250 and just use the one rifle for both jobs hope you can help stu

Cheshire scuffers don't permit a calibre/cartridge bigger than .243Win for foxing...so up here 25-06Rem is out for that purpose.
Besides, what's wrong with just using a 100gn bullet for both...(If your scuffers will allow it) with a muzzle velocity of around 3200/3300fps with 100gns of bullet, that's surely going to be flat enough and carry the energy. :thumb:

Last edited:
85gn ballistic tip might be a good compromise, my 26" 25-06 used to launch them at 3600fps, however I suspect a factory sako won't get near that. If you don't tell the deer youre shooting them with varmint bullets they won't realise. If you use NV you won't see your hits as easily as with the 250. A 25-06 would make a good dual purpose rifle, but I'd loose the standard 75 and get something with a longer or better barrell, or have it rebarrelled to 25 or 26", that would be quite a tool. Also consider the saftey aspects of foxing with heavy bullets!!

be lucky to get 3200 to 3300 out of a 243 with 100 grain bullets

I got up to 41gn of N160 behind 100gn Interlocks before seeing any pressure signs.

This was slightly over VV's max of 39.8gn listed in this year's figures (but below last year's max!) which according to them would give around 2900fps.
Pretty much all the max loads I have found for 100gn are less than 3000fps MV
It would have to be pretty snappy or a long barrel test bed to get up to 3200.

Why not just get some Berger HPBT, very slippery BC, frangible and close to 100gn so POI/trajectory should be very similar.

the post is about the 25-06, not .243's.

the 49gn load of h4350 is low but accurate, i doubt if it will touch 3100 in a sako 75 25-06, nice round though, not to damaging on roe and kills fallow ok. perhaps up it a little with the 100gn blue tips and see how it performs?

Dont know what calibre you are on about but my .243 75 varmint is deadly with 75gn vmax and 42 varget, i have shot quite a few fox and roe with this combination.

I now prefer the 87gn vmax / varget after someone on here gave me the heads up on the load, less meat damage on roe and still quite flat for charlies. DF

I now prefer the 87gn vmax / varget after someone on here gave me the heads up on the load, less meat damage on roe and still quite flat for charlies. DF

I'm on 87g Hornaday HPBT which I assume is quite similar. I'm using 35.5g varget..out of curiousity, what load are you using in your vmax?

36 varget rem 9 1/2 primers the 75 varmint has been shortened to 20", its not quite as accurate as with the 75gn v max but it no way shoddy either

thanks once again for your helpfull comment the reason in thinking of loading something lighter was to give me a very flat safer round than 100 grain yes i know about back drops etc i dont mean that i mean my 22250 is flat out to 250 but im thinking of selling it and choppping in my 8 x56 shmidt and see if i can get a good scope and just use the one rifle thanks again stu

Cheshire scuffers don't permit a calibre/cartridge bigger than .243Win for foxing...so up here 25-06Rem is out for that purpose.
Besides, what's wrong with just using a 100gn bullet for both...(If your scuffers will allow it) with a muzzle velocity of around 3200/3300fps with 100gns of bullet, that's surely going to be flat enough and carry the energy. :thumb:

I have 6.5mm authorised for fox and I am in Cheshire authority.

It's in the Home Office guidelines as being suitable.

Back