Multi-Purpose Scope?

flytie

I have a friend who is buying an RPA GP Hunter and we were discussing what glass to put on top.

We both favour a 56 objective lens because he will be using the scope on deer/fox as well as the odd day on the range.

I favour a S&B PMII Gen2 5-25x56 FFP with a P4 fine illuminated reticle.

My friend favours the Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 with a BT turret and a BRXI reticle.

So oh wise ones of the SD site, what would you put on the top?

​Simon

I have the 5-25 Schmidt and really like it but it weighs just less than my land rover but is equally bomb proof. Mine sits atop a very heavy barrel 6.5 and looks fine. For the setup you describe I would go for a 4-16 x 50 Schmidt in preference to the Swarovski. Bear in mind that the PMII scopes are often 34mm tubes which need dedicated rings to match. Warne are readily available if you like them (I don't) or you can look to Badger Ordnance, third eye tactical, Armalon or a handful of other brands. Sorry to muddy the waters

I had the 5-25 PM2 on a Tikka T3 Tact, liked it lots and lots....
I then sold the T3 Tact and bought a T3 Lite, mounted the scope and again liked it lots and lots....

The reality is that it's not a scope for stalking, it's a dedicated long range scope that would never get used to half it's capability on a stalking rifle, I think it's very difficult to get a multi purpose scope, I think you will get what you want and make do, until you see something more practicle for the primary job you use the "Tool" for.

I loved the 5-25x56, just not practical for my primary job with the "Tool"(stalking), now have a 3-12x50 S&B Flashdot reticule which shoots the same deer as my 5-25 would have done with half the weight...

TJ

Last edited:
I have the 5-25 PM2 on my 7mm, but have ordered a 3-20pm2 FFP P4 it weighs less is smaller than even the 4-16, it has the MTC function which people either love or hate. It will be going on my 243 which currently houses a zeiss conquest with ballistic turrets.

If the rifle is to be a "GP Hunter" and fox rifle then I would go with a Z6 or Z6i 2-12x50 with the TDS. I don't need, and can't use, turrets and parallax adjust under field conditions.

If it will see a fair bit of range work, then a Z6i 3-18x50 with turrets or the S&B PMII or an equivalent Zeiss would all be an equally good choice. I just find these overly "spec'd" scopes unhelpful under normal field conditions.

Last edited:
If the rifle is to be a "GP Hunter" and fox rifle then I would go with a Z6 or Z6i 2-12x50 with the TDS. I don't need, and can't use, turrets and parallax adjust under field conditions.

If it will see a fair bit of range work, then a Z6i 3-18x50 with turrets or the S&B PMII or an equivalent Zeiss would all be an equally good choice. I just find these overly "spec'd" scopes unhelpful under normal field conditions.

As a devoted 8x56 user I cannot but agree, faffing about with turrets is not my bag. But we are talking about spending someone elses money, which is always fun.

There must be a scope which will act as a multi purpose tool, thats why I specified a FFP scope, no paralax issues. But I am sure there is an answer out there, just my ignorance is not at all useful in these matters.

As I was mooching about the web looking at scopes I kept coming back to S&B because I know them well. But for me a fixed mag scope is my choice (8x56), but if I were to do range work too I can see the advantages these works of art offer. I suppose I was just wondering what there was on offer other than S&B and Swarovski that people rate?

Leupold are loved by Americans. Steiner are new on the scope market. Kahles are not reticled for long range shooting. I think a fine mil-dot that is illuminated must be useful, which again brings me back to the PMII 2nd gen FFP scope. There is not much difference in price from the Swaro Z6i or the 2nd Gen PMII, but is there something better?

Simon

Simon the Kahles 624i that i have is fine for long range with mil3 reticule but not cheap or light either with 34mm tube.
Soon they'll have a 10-50 mag target scope, first prototypes show good potential.
I mostly use target turrets on my hunting rifles, one just has to prepare. Have the paralax on say 150yds, and zero on 200yds meaning
nothing needs adjusting till around 220yds. (223)
Further out one has a tool that will work better than any hold over scope if adjusted correctly.
I have my two main rifles kitted out with 6.5-20x50 conquests. Same reticule. The more you practice with the same gear
the better and quicker one gets. Knocked two sika stags under 5m distance this year with the conquest.
edi

Simon the Kahles 624i that i have is fine for long range with mil3 reticule but not cheap or light either with 34mm tube.
Soon they'll have a 10-50 mag target scope, first prototypes show good potential.
I mostly use target turrets on my hunting rifles, one just has to prepare. Have the paralax on say 150yds, and zero on 200yds meaning
nothing needs adjusting till around 220yds. (223)
Further out one has a tool that will work better than any hold over scope if adjusted correctly.
I have my two main rifles kitted out with 6.5-20x50 conquests. Same reticule. The more you practice with the same gear
the better and quicker one gets. Knocked two sika stags under 5m distance this year with the conquest.
edi

Edi, I am far more impressed with your statement highlighted above than I have ever been with any of the long range "earschplittinloudenboomer" stories that seem to proliferate on shooting sites.

I like to keep things simple hence my addiction to the 8x56.

I was looking through a military Meopta the other day, it is an illuminated + with mil-dot 6x50, a very nice scope. But not the sort of thing to taunt a friend with, I wanted a super dooper, all singing all dancing scope with which to whet his appetite. But never mind I will keep looking.

Simon

Zeiss 4-16x50 or 6-24x56 with turrets and illuminated 60 ret if he wants uncomplicated picture, or swaro pvi2 highgrid 6-24x50 with tds4i ret for good hunting scope and range capable with 5mm 1/6 moa clicks, not best for field clicking but perfectlg good and repeatable on the static range. Kevinf uses 4-16 pm2 with good effect in the field on roe, muntjac and fallow.

sightron s111 6x24x50 :thumb:had all the deer stuff s111 is what now sits on my rem mag why for the money it is just as good and if i scrach it i dont loose 700pounds pm2 are over rated but if you think spending 2500on a scope that it will perform better than say the sightron at 750 your kidding yourself bud to meney tackle tarts that shout s/b ziese etc try comparing them side by side tell me if they are genuinaly better get a reasonaly priced scope and put lots of shots up the spout and when you ware out the barrel use all the extra cash you saved not purchasing s/b pm 2 to get a new barrel put on it

SCHMIDT & BENDER all the way PMII great scope at about 1.5 miles bit over the top but there will be times it comes in handy I say keep the 56mm objective drop down to 2.5 to 10. illuminate the reticule and you have saved your self lots of weight and about a grand. That's what i think but hey its your call at the end of the day.

The British F-class team won in 2011....all of them used the 10-60x52 March scopes. Japanese glass and not as expensive as you might expect. Not as heavy as Nightforce either.

Back