shooting moles

toad

does anybody know when moles are most active. they making a right mess in my small padock not been very sucsesful traping them so am opting for the 410 when is the best time of day

I remember (a long time ago) the old man sneaking up to a mole hill in construction with the shotgun (12g), shooting at it and then digging up the dead mole:thumb:

When I was a lad I once saw a mole come up out of my neighbour's lawn at first light and make for the pond. I shot it with my air rifle as it'd been making a real mess of their garden.

shot plenty as a lad ,take a fork and spread out the freshest looking heaps in the morning ,then around midday, walk up wind ,dont bang your feet down ,then stand around 4 ft away from the heap being worked ,the mole will make around three lifts shoot on the second lift towards the base of the heap ,the dead mole will proberly only have a little blood on its nose no other marks ,the shock must kill them.

shot plenty as a lad ,take a fork and spread out the freshest looking heaps in the morning ,then around midday, walk up wind ,dont bang your feet down ,then stand around 4 ft away from the heap being worked ,the mole will make around three lifts shoot on the second lift towards the base of the heap ,the dead mole will proberly only have a little blood on its nose no other marks ,the shock must kill them.
cheers bruce

its easier to trap them. When you set the traps make sure you do not leave your scent all over them, and also make sure that the tunnel is filled back in properly. Another reason for the traps not catching anything is that the trap is set too high in the tunnel. I have caught lots over the years by following the above suggestions

if you got the traps i will set them for you and give you a crash course, you will probly find that it is only one or two that is the cause of your problem. they will rise every three to four houres. they will remain active until the ground dries up and the earth worms become less active on the top layer of soil and work theire way down in depth. another option is to get the rat smoker out and smoke them.:tiphat:

Have to agree with big trotter if you've not had any with traps you'll have less luck with a gun lol iv done a bit of mole trapping and I've only seen 1 scuffle at the top of a hill. As David said aswell get the phostoxin out.

I shoot Afew with an old boy. He has shot thousands over the years on his farm. He always says the best time is 10am 12pm 2pm and 4pm. Using his old 12 gauge. Don't know if that's any help

Seen plenty digging , tried kicking and shoving my spade into the bottom of the hill ,but never managed to catch or kill one, if I had been armed i'm sure I would have had a few.As already stated they feed on a 4 hourly cycle,but im pretty sure they are not all on the same cycle , so putting a time on them would be almost impossible...

Moles are meat eaters. Take the top off a mole hill put some cat food on your hand and call like a female mole. The smell of a meal and sex will bring em running out then hit it with a mallet. After four hours if that doesn't work try calling like a male mole. Please let me know if this old trick works.

Moles are meat eaters. Take the top off a mole hill put some cat food on your hand and call like a female mole. The smell of a meal and sex will bring em running out then hit it with a mallet. After four hours if that doesn't work try calling like a male mole. Please let me know if this old trick works.

And what does a randy mole sound like ?? :love:

Back