savage mk 2 rimmy 22 LR will not extract unfired round

callie

when chambering a round I'm having to force the bolt for the last 1/16" or so, had a similar problem after firing 50-60 shots in a BRNO and a quick brush through cured this, however in the savage its happening all the time, chamber a round, open the bolt, round stuck in tube, fire it, empty case extracts no problem at all, looking into the tube there's no leade/ taper into the rifling just a square straight edge. "Rimmy ammo cheap as chips, just shoot it" I hear you say, but what if say plod approachs me and and asks to look at rifle, and he could, even though I'm legally on my shoot, I can't very well say "Hang on a second I've just got to shoot this round to unload it" So, would it be possible/feasable to taper ream that troublesome 1/16" so that bullet head is just touching, or, into lands by 010" without affecting accuracy , when I say 1/16" it could be as much as 3/32", either way its a pain in the posterior! any help appreciated......callie

hornet 6:- I've tried winchester, eley and CCI, all the same, close the bolt and the rounds jammed in the tube. callie

finn, you could well be right, solving without losing accuracy is what I'm after. ATB callie

Had exactly the same with a CZ a few years back. In that case it was a duff batch of ammunition that was swapped and fine from then on. Bullets seated too far out and were touching the rifling. Sounds like problem is the same but the solution might be more expensive than it was for me.:(

Re ammo

I had the same and fixed the problem by cleaning the ammo first with a paper towel,long winded but works.
Happy Shooting.

could be the ammo is abit wax up so is sticking. also look at the extractor pins sometimes the clip thats holds them in on the bolt becomes weak and needs replacing.
you could just take the clip off and carfully close it a little with some pilers. if you do do this be carefull whe you take the clip off

when chambering a round I'm having to force the bolt for the last 1/16" or so, had a similar problem after firing 50-60 shots in a BRNO and a quick brush through cured this, however in the savage its happening all the time, chamber a round, open the bolt, round stuck in tube, fire it, empty case extracts no problem at all, looking into the tube there's no leade/ taper into the rifling just a square straight edge. "Rimmy ammo cheap as chips, just shoot it" I hear you say, but what if say plod approachs me and and asks to look at rifle, and he could, even though I'm legally on my shoot, I can't very well say "Hang on a second I've just got to shoot this round to unload it" So, would it be possible/feasable to taper ream that troublesome 1/16" so that bullet head is just touching, or, into lands by 010" without affecting accuracy , when I say 1/16" it could be as much as 3/32", either way its a pain in the posterior! any help appreciated......callie

Real accuracy in .22 match rifles comes with engagement of the bullet shoulder into the leade. It's a common thing and the best match barrels (EG: Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co here in the states) have on the barrel: "May not extract an unfired round" or the like. My BRNO leade will hang on to some styles of ammunition as well tho it is 50+ years old. A throating reamer with a rimfire pilot will help if the throating is the problem. Are you able to push a live round into the chamber with your finger? I ask because the symptoms you describe can also come from an extractor that is too tight. In any event, if you can seat a round fully and it sticks, remove the bolt and gently push the round out with a cleaning rod and examine any markings on the shoulder of the bullet. If it is striated by the lands, show it to your gunsmith if you have him fix it. It will help him understand the nature of the problem.~Muir

Muir:- glad to see you're back, noticed on another thread that you'd be away for a few days, and I thought if any one could help it would be your good self, theres no leade what so ever, from the chamber it's square cut into the lands, theres no taper at all, when chambering a round it sticks out a good 1/16" and there's no chance of seating it just by pressing with fingers, in actual fact its so tight I'm having to force the bolt slightly to close it, I know its cheap and cheerful but its nice and light, a kick in the butt over 5 lb and really excellent accuracy, I'll do as you say, chamber a round fully, remove bolt, then ease round back out with cleaning rod, I'm a hundred percent sure that the extractor is OK as when a round is fired it ejects perfectly, I know a lead bullet head has to touch the lands so thers no jump and possiblity of stripping the rifling, but 1/16 to 3/32" "jam" seems a bit excessive, I'm going to go and have a play and I'll let you know what's happening, thanks for the info......callie

Muir:- I believe I've found the problem, fixing it may be something else, put 3 rounds through chamber, removed each one with cleaning rod, no lands stryations on heads but each head showed clean shiny lead for approximately 1/3 of diameter, so it appears that there is a certain amount of excentricity between chamber and rifling, a job for the smith it would appear !! Thanks for all the help....callie

Wow! That sucks! Do you mean that the shiny spot is 1/3 the circumference of the bullet?? Was that fed from the magazine? ~Muir

Hi Muir:- first round I fed by hand and thought that I may tipped and scratched it putting it in chamber, so next 2 rounds I carefully loaded into mag to make sure I didn't damage any, chambered them and pushed them out with cleaning rod and sure enough all three showing the shiny spot as you say1/3 the circumference of the bullet.....callie

Weird. I was wondering if the magazine feeding was scarring the bullet but I guess not! I wonder what Savage would say?? I always wanted to work at Savage. When I was growing up I could see their red and white checkerboard pattern water-tower when sitting atop the dormer above my bedroom window. Of course, the rimfires are made in Canada now....~Muir

Back