Would never have thought this (urban Deer).

Are they coming if from surrounding country or are they actually urban dwellers, do we know?

Are they coming if from surrounding country or are they actually urban dwellers, do we know?

I don't know (and I'm not 100% that it's Romford - just something I read...). However, that whole area of London is actually quite green - there's a reasonable amount of farmland, set aside and forest inside the M25 (as you can see below) as well as Epping Forest acting as a deer reservoir. You can pretty much always see deer somewhere by Junction 27 of the M25... Deer use the bridges over the M25 a lot as well - see some of the images from Jochen Langbein.

b72s.jpg

Last edited:
theres plenty of roes moving about in glasgow , they were on tv filmed in the east necropolis graveyard in the city centre and have been seen on grass at the side of the m8 and m74, i take it they will go were the grass is richer

Not Urban but I saw three Red Hind grazing in broad daylight on the embankment of the M74 near Moffat on 16 Feb.................must have known the season had finished !

Not Urban but I saw three Red Hind grazing in broad daylight on the embankment of the M74 near Moffat on 16 Feb.................must have known the season had finished !

Which side? Could be fallow if west or sika if east! Not sure if they're reds in that area but no doubt a local member could clarify.

Novice

We have urban Roe in my part of Hull. Those at the bottom of my garden live on a length of abandoned railway embankment and have 10 acres of allotments to feed on. They even tried to breed but a dog soon killed the fawns as the area is very populate with dog walkers.

When I try to explain to people at work that they are surrounded by Deer they will not believe me. Anyone using M62 West after JCT 23 will see Roe on the Banking of the Motorway.
It amazes me that they do not give a hoot about a 40 foot Artic thundering past but are off like the wind if i step on a twig when trying to stalk the little buggers.:doh:

Yorkie.

Famously there are/were roe living in Glasgows Necropolis. The city of the dead. I watched a buck last year whilst I waited to pick up my son from football. Training ground is in the centre of the town. As Yorkie says we are surrounded by them. Just have to keep your eyes open.

Back