Accurate enough l think.

Scuttlebuttin

Just been out to check the zero on my .223 prior to taking the DSC in two weeks time, head shot 2 rabbits at 203 and 207 yards, l reckon thats a good zero.

Hi sound like your .223 is very accurate, but can you use it for you dsc1 as it is not a legal calibre for deer accept in scotland, i have no idea what do forum members think ?

Your rifle might be good, but can you shoot kneeling or sitting at 70m? That's where most fail as it is not something people generally do or practise.
The calibre is legal for small deer in UK and therefore ok to use on a DSC 1 course. Good luck!
MS

At the risk of stating the obvious it is helpful to practice the entire course of fire. Or at least all but the prone which should be a walk in the park.

K

I only shot two, because there was only two out at the time, I've clarified with the guys running the course about using the .223, I have a 6.5X284, but with having to use factory ammunition to take the test, finding factory for the .284 is very difficult. After I shot the rabbits, I put a few paper targets out at 100 yards and did practice a few shots off a post and a few sitting down at the same range, all were well within the 4" circle.

Hi sound like your .223 is very accurate, but can you use it for you dsc1 as it is not a legal calibre for deer accept in scotland, i have no idea what do forum members think ?
His dsc1 is in scotland anyway,and its legal for munties /cwd in england :thumb:

This is what the BDS DSC1 application form says:-

All candidates holding a legal deer rifle for use in the country where the course is being held will be required to bring it for the shooting assessment conducted during the course.

It's going back a bit, but the St Hubert Club used to insist on minimum .243 for their annual FC licence shooting qualification assessment. Both Roe & Muntjac can be encountered at Thetford ... like anywhere in E & W. I have no idea if this is still the rule.

Personally, I think an accuracy score from a candidate who is using a a squirrel rifle is unfair on the others using a calibre legal for all deer. :-| There is a difference in power, blast and recoil between the two which might affect a novice shooter trying to qualify on the target.

All candidates holding a legal deer rifle for use in the country where the course is being held will be required to bring it for the shooting assessment conducted during the course.

It's going back a bit, but the St Hubert Club used to insist on minimum .243 for their annual FC licence shooting qualification assessment. Both Roe & Muntjac can be encountered at Thetford ... like anywhere in E & W. I have no idea if this is still the rule.

Personally, I think an accuracy score from a candidate who is using a a squirrel rifle is unfair on the others using a calibre legal for all deer. :-| There is a difference in power, blast and recoil between the two which might affect a novice shooter trying to qualify on the target.

You are probably going back to before the deer act changed when .240 was the smallest legal calibre for all deer in England anyway?
You could also argue that large calibres give an unfair advantage as a bigger hole is more likely to break the line inwards from point of impact.;)
MS

Don't agree with that at all if a 223 is what you intend using on muntjac or cwd that is fine especially if you can shoot it well ,far better to use a smaller calibre accurately than a large one poorly no matter how long you have been shooting for . the ones that think its not fair should learn to shoot there large calibres better, and any one who can shoot them well wouldn't care less what others are using

I've been shooting for 47 years, got my SGC in 1989 and FAC in 2001, got a .243 in 2006 and have used several larger calibres since then.

Your rifle might be good, but can you shoot kneeling or sitting at 70m? That's where most fail as it is not something people generally do or practise.
The calibre is legal for small deer in UK and therefore ok to use on a DSC 1 course. Good luck!
MS

to be honest its a big target most difficult is not hitting where you aim its knowing the right place on a blank deer target to aim at forthe kill zone

to be honest its a big target most difficult is not hitting where you aim its knowing the right place on a blank deer target to aim at forthe kill zone
You actually raise a very good point there! I've seen numerous people fail that have put in an excellent group, but in the wrong place! The new black silhouette target has a zero point at half way up the animal directly up the back of the front leg. If you actually aimed to hit where the heart is, you will be pretty much right on the edge of the kill zone and in real danger of failing! Try and get a look at the target first!
MS

You actually raise a very good point there! I've seen numerous people fail that have put in an excellent group, but in the wrong place! The new black silhouette target has a zero point at half way up the animal directly up the back of the front leg. If you actually aimed to hit where the heart is, you will be pretty much right on the edge of the kill zone and in real danger of failing! Try and get a look at the target first!
MS

+1 I was told 50 years ago "Vertical up the back of the front leg,horizontal half way up the thick bit" it always works for me.

Back