British Sporting Rifle Club.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Just want to say a big thank you to NDT Man off this site who invited me to shoot at the British Sporting Rifle Club at Bisley yesterday. He was hoping that we could perhaps sort out a charity shoot in aid of H4H for the members of the SD site but the club has a very busy programme already booked up for this year but there is a remote possibility that something might just be arranged for next year. I’ve shot at this club on a couple of occasions in the past with BASC and didn’t need convincing how good the club really is but all the same I thoroughly enjoyed myself and also enjoyed meeting a few of the club members who couldn’t have been more welcoming or helpful. Genuine sporting rifle shooters the lot of them.

I just wish that this club was a little bit closer to home because I would be applying for membership, that’s if they would consider having me as a member.

For those unfamiliar with the club it has the finest sporting rifle facilities in the country bar none. I had the opportunity to shoot both running deer and disgrace myself on the fast runs of the running boar. I also shot the static targets which have electronic scoring so no need for a quick dash down the range on the bicycle to score. The facilities are light years ahead of anything that my home range can provide and if a shoot can be arranged in the future I’m sure that all that attend will have as good a time as I did yesterday. I have to admit to chickening out of the 10m air rifle running target after hearing how humiliating that can be and having made such an ass of myself on the fast runs of the running boar.

Thanks again Mike and please pass on my thanks to all the club members that I had the very real pleasure of meeting yesterday.

Last edited:
BSRC always was a great club to be a member of. I was a member for many years when I lived closer & spent many happy days there both working on the facilities & shooting. It's good to hear they are still keeping up standards.

Ian

Glad you enjoyed it! It was also NDTman who introduced me to the BSRC for the first time: a very helpful gent. I’ll be heading back there later this month for one of the Wednesday range days when it’s a bit quieter than at the weekend, to play with my new rifle, which should turn up by the end of January. I’m hoping that if there aren’t too many people around, I can ensconce myself at one of the benches firing off groups with a selection of factory loads, and trying to work out how the hell to set up a scope. Well, I have a pretty good idea, but I’ve never done it. One of the great advantages of the BSRC is that there is a wealth of expertise and willingness to help out readily available.

The first time I shot the running boar was on my induction day, and I made an absolute pig’s ear of it. The same was the case with the running deer, only I had to do a competency test to become a full member. Luckily, one of the aforementioned helpful chaps kindly told me what I was doing wrong, and more importantly what I should be doing instead. So I did, and then I could hit the target consistently. I wish someone like that had been around when I started shooting with a shotgun! It’s similar, but the movement amplitude is much lower, and you don’t need anything like as much lead as a bullet is so much faster than a column of lead shot. I’ll do some running deer at some point for fun and to get rid of whatever factory ammunition turns out to be the worst, then keep the brass and have it reloaded by HPS. Nevertheless, a full course of fire at the running deer is a pretty expensive form of practice, so later on this year I’ll be buying a .22RF that pretty much mirrors the stalking rifle setup to practice on the running boar. But one thing at a time!

Yes Yorric they are keeping up the standard, and a real nice group of guys they are too.
You must be gutted not to still be a member of the club and have use of such excellant facilities.

Pine Marten they were eager to put me right on the running boar (fast runs) too. I recognised some of the mistakes I was making myself but their helpful advise and coaching was really appreciated.

Last edited:
Yep, park any second-hand ideas that the club is only for Toffs as someone once tried to convince me!

There is no standard of marksmanship test for membership but simply an ability to demonstrate the right attitude.

As with pretty much everything in life you’ll get from the club what you’re prepared to put into it.

If I hadn’t been wrestling with an unplanned lard-a--e doe yesterday I would have been there too.

Cheers

K

Klenchblaize personally I have always found that real shooters are all the same and communicate in the same language regardless of station in life. I have had the pleasure of shooting with people from all walks of life over the years from dustmen to lords of the realm and the vast majority have been O.K. guys. It's funny you should mention that you get out of a club whatever you're prepared to put in, we had that very same discussion yesterday.

I've been a member for a year or so now, and the range days are always a mine of information from a cracking bunch of (mainly) blokes...

Wish I could devote some time to the club competitions, but a young family negates that weekend pleasure

Cheers
i.

Nevertheless, a full course of fire at the running deer is a pretty expensive form of practice, so later on this year I’ll be buying a .22RF that pretty much mirrors the stalking rifle setup to practice on the running boar. But one thing at a time!
This reality has now been recognised in the context of Match Day “static” disciplines by adding 50m .22RF versions as to shoot the 100m fox, buck and stalkers test will require a further 30 rounds of centre fire. 50 if you choose to shoot the former two in both Class A & B!

Cheers

K

This reality has now been recognised in the context of Match Day “static” disciplines by adding 50m .22RF versions as to shoot the 100m fox, buck and stalkers test will require a further 30 rounds of centre fire. 50 if you choose to shoot the former two in both Class A & B!

Cheers

K

That's useful thanks. That said, I don't have the time to turn up all that regularly, so when I do, I'll still mainly practice with the stalking rifle. I think I'll have specific .22RF days too. Anyway, I'm not going to lug two rifles all the way to Bisley and back on public transport. I suppose I could just leave the .22 at the NRA office, but, well, I don't want to.

Mike glad you had such a good time at bisley
I have to admit it was a pleasure to meet NDT man at monmouth at the H4H shoot last year
does this mean that bisley being so booked we can expect another great shoot at monmouth
this year ? regards pete .

That's useful thanks. That said, I don't have the time to turn up all that regularly, so when I do, I'll still mainly practice with the stalking rifle. I think I'll have specific .22RF days too. Anyway, I'm not going to lug two rifles all the way to Bisley and back on public transport. I suppose I could just leave the .22 at the NRA office, but, well, I don't want to.

Use one of the club .22 rimfires and get your eye in on the statics before shooting the same discipline at 100 with the powder guzzlers. ;)

The last time I took a firearm on a train/bus was in 1982 when travelling from Kings Cross to Glenisla. Had a large hunting knife about me too!

Cheers

K

Use one of the club .22 rimfires and get your eye in on the statics before shooting the same discipline at 100 with the powder guzzlers. ;)

The last time I took a firearm on a train/bus was in 1982 when travelling from Kings Cross to Glenisla. Had a large hunting knife about me too!

Cheers

K

I was planning on using the .22 for running boar for that very purpose. After that, having a go at the running deer with the proper rifle. Although I need to get used to using the new scope to work out what scope to buy for the .22RF. I'll have a go with open sights in the meantime. The putting together of my little arsenal is going to take a few months. I don't want a specific running boar set-up as a target discipline, it's just practice for the real thing. So as I'm buying a Steyr stutzen, I'll also buy a CZ452 FS to match it. It makes sense to me anyway.

Mike glad you had such a good time at bisley
I have to admit it was a pleasure to meet NDT man at monmouth at the H4H shoot last year
does this mean that bisley being so booked we can expect another great shoot at monmouth
this year ? regards pete .

Haven't even thought about it yet Pete, I've had other things on my mind. To be honest the problems I had getting people to actually commit last year has put me off a bit. Everything was pretty much last minute.

I am surprised no one mentioned the bar-b-ques and range days at BSRC.. I was a member for quite a few years. They also used to have evening range days in the summer as I recall. I was a member before the new club house was built and still a member until after it was opened. However it's too far to travel to now so when i moved up here I let my membership go.

It's one club that constantly strives to improve it's facilities and despite being loyal tot eh NRA sadly the same cannot be said of the NRA in the way it treats the club.

I am surprised no one mentioned the bar-b-ques and range days at BSRC..

The first time I went, I think in February last year, there was a barbecue in the driving, freezing rain. You have to admire their obstinacy, but it was very welcoming, in a damp sort of way. When they had the AGM last year, there was a completely insane pile of cakes to sustain them through the afternoon's bunfight (Biddum! Churrrrr!). You never go hungry there.

Back