Bushnell fusion 1600 ARC 10 x42 Binoculars.

paultap

Hi guys

Does anybody have any experience with the above rangefinding binoculars by any chance? I have read a couple of American reviews which sites a potential problem with viewing the LED readout in bright sunlight. From what I have read, the optical quality is surprisingly good though for a budget pair of binoculars, I wondered if they would just about cut the grade for UK deer stalking or if they are too much of a compromise on quality as they have obviously being built down to a relatively modest price.

I have a Zeiss PRF rangefinder which is a cracking bit of kit but I would love to have the convenience of just carrying a decent pair of binoculars capable of rangefinding without the considerable outlay of the more traditional models. (I am contemplating selling my Zeiss to fund it)

Needless to say, they are not going to be in the Zeiss or Swarovski league but then again they are nowhere near the price either.

I would welcome any replies.

Many Thanks.

I had a pair a few years ago I sold them when my missus got me some zeiss rf binos. I thought they were exellent your right in saying there no zeiss but there very good I actually thought the rangefinder was better than the zeiss

I have the range finder of that model - its not too bad actually.
It gives up about 15 mins before my Zeiss scope if that is anything to go by.
The range finder part is spot on, and works out to 600 meters on just about everything.
How much are they out of interest?

Hi guys

Does anybody have any experience with the above rangefinding binoculars by any chance? I have read a couple of American reviews which sites a potential problem with viewing the LED readout in bright sunlight. From what I have read, the optical quality is surprisingly good though for a budget pair of binoculars, I wondered if they would just about cut the grade for UK deer stalking or if they are too much of a compromise on quality as they have obviously being built down to a relatively modest price.

I have a Zeiss PRF rangefinder which is a cracking bit of kit but I would love to have the convenience of just carrying a decent pair of binoculars capable of rangefinding without the considerable outlay of the more traditional models. (I am contemplating selling my Zeiss to fund it)

Needless to say, they are not going to be in the Zeiss or Swarovski league but then again they are nowhere near the price either.

I would welcome any replies.

Many Thanks.

I have had a pair for 4.5 years.

The rangefinder is very good indeed. I have compared it with leica, zeiss and swarovski monoculars and found it at least as good, often superior.

It will reliably range out to exactly one mile, on large objects (houses, barns etc.) There seems to be a software cutoff beyond 1760 yards. This is irrelevant for stalking, but indicates a high power laser emitter, well aligned optics, and a sensitive detector.

In the field, familiarity with the three operational modes will give the best results.

Brush mode ignores close reflections and displays the farthest (i.e. looking through foliage etc.)

Bullseye is the opposite, it shows the closest reading.

Normal mode gives the quickest pings (less signal processing) and operates continuously as long as you hold down the button. If you don't get an immediate reading you can "paint" the target for a few seconds until the detector catches a return.

Battery life is good, after initial familiarisation (play) has flattened the first.

The display is LCD, illuminated by red LED. There are four manually controlled settings. At full brightness it is fine for UK conditions, but I think it would be rather dim over e.g. snow or desert sand. If you leave the display on a low setting then try to use the bins. in bright conditions you will need to remember the button pushes to turn it up (very easy) or point it into a dark area whilst you adjust.

The ARC feature and ballistic calculator are handy for me, as I usually stalk with estate rifles. I can set up the binos for the estate rifle cartridge and be much more confident of the trajectory than guesswork.

There is a slight annoyance, when the target is ranged and once the ARC/BRC are calculated the display first displays the vertical angle. Only after a second or so does it show the calculated holdover. I would rather it was the other way around.

It is difficult to give an opinion on the binocular optics because I don't know your standards. They are decent, for a mid price binocular. Think Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch etc. In good light they are fine. For woodland stalking at first/last light they are handicapped by the x10 magnification and resulting restricted and dimmer field of view. If they were x8 or better x7 then I would have no hesitation recommending.

For highland hill stalking I think they would be superb, maybe the x12 version even better.

There is a noticeable blue cast to the image. I think this is because of the beamsplitters in both sides, to separate the laser emitter, the receiver, and the display. They would be no good for bird watching where colour matters, but for our purpose I don't think it is significant. This is where I think the premium brands are superior, and so they should be. When I bought my Bushnells the others cost 3 times more so were out of reach.

I also have Hawke Frontier ED 8x42 and my GF's Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. Their optics are rather better, as you would expect. When I stalk during the morning the Bushnells are all that I need. If I will be out at last light, I take the Hawkes too.

They are very solidly made, rather chunky, and totally waterproof. The Rainguard lens coating really works (Zeiss license this from them and brand it Locutec, it is the same). I have rinsed them under the tap and washed lenses with Fairy liquid after many a wet and dirty stalk.

I don't think there is any comparable product. They are discontinued, and the replacement Bushnell "one mile" doesn't seem to be any different, but several times more expensive, so irrelevant when Euro brands are comparable.

I bought mine in a window of opportunity when I had the funds, got trade price, and had a real use for them. I will not be selling mine any time soon, they are excellent for my purposes and not easily replaceable. They are a gem.

Many thanks for the replies guys, and thank you sharpie for such a comprehensive write up. I think I will be going ahead with the purchase having read your comments, I have found a solitary new pair going for less than £450, even allowing for the shortfall in optical quality compared to the the likes of Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica, these seem to be somewhat of a bargain.

Many thanks.

Many thanks for the replies guys, and thank you sharpie for such a comprehensive write up. I think I will be going ahead with the purchase having read your comments, I have found a solitary new pair going for less than £450, even allowing for the shortfall in optical quality compared to the the likes of Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica, these seem to be somewhat of a bargain.

Many thanks.

They are at least £400 of rangefinder. And perhaps £200 of binocular. I paid less than £500 for mine, as it seems you will too. I am very happy with mine, but if you are expecting them to replace good binoculars (I have high standards) then I'm sorry but they may fall short. Nevertheless even as just a £400 rangefinder they are excellent. And the bino part is absolutely fine, but I also have £350, £700 and £1400 binos, all of which are much better, so am aware of the limitations.

I'm a stalker in the West Country. Currently looking for scope and binocular advice. Have bought The Bushnell 10x42 as a present and found them easy to use but did not have quite the light gathering capacity of the major brands. The rangefinder was on offer then for under £400 but I do not know anyone who uses them,.

Back