attempted neck or head shot

this is posted on other forumns for the obvious reason
last night
i met up with muddy and cwd222 at a farm i hav permission to stalk on
whilst leaving muddy in a good vantage point myself and cwd went for a stroll when we happened across this fella

P1020170.jpg

this roebuck was no more than 25yrds approx, from us but was facing and walking away, cwd set up sticks and readied himself for the shot at this he then barked at the buck , no response so i whistled , still no response , the buck kept on walking away so we both shouted at it, still no response
at this i told cwd just take the shot, as there was obviously something wrong,
so cwd put crosshairs on his chest and pulled the trigger the buck dropped dead on the spot
it was only when we reached the buck we knew why his behaviour was so odd
this pic shows the exit wound of cwd's shot exit through the shoulder and a wound in the buck's neck, which was full of maggots and the stench was quite bad,the wound went all the way back upto his ear on the inside of the skin it was hollow except for the maggots
P1020164.jpg

this pic shows what flyblow can look like after a few days

P1020167.jpg

this pic
if you look carefully on the left of the flyblow is a small entry wound, on the right of the flyblow is the exit wound
P1020165.jpg

this buck looks like it had a lucky escape from a non fatal neck shot, (which had been taken from a side on shot , which struck high in the neck )
i think not :evil:
how long he had been wandering around like this trying to feed and how far he had travelled since he had initially been shot is anybodys guess and with what calibre he was shot with also is up for debate
just thought a few of you might like to see the end results of what could happen if a badly /missed placed neck or head shot occurs
well done cwd what a first buck you took with me ;)

so i'm thinking 3 things have happend here

1. there is another stalker on the same ground ?
2. another stalker on an adjacent ground has shot and the deer wandered into your ground ??

3. your land or the other land has poaching on it ???

either way well done for putting the beast out of its misery

Well done lads, poor little bugger must have been in agony. Looks to me as though you have poachers or your neighbours have someone who is taking shots without any thought for the deers welfare :evil:

Can't think many poachers would be keen on announcing their presence with a loud hunting rifle.

It's nice to think it's only poachers who do this sort of thing, but I'd think it was probably a regular stalker who over-played their hand , the shot went wrong and they couldn't follow up as it didn't hinder the deer's flight.

what ever happened to him i dont know but hes sure glad you guys put him out of the pain he was in.well done lads.

Xim said:
so i'm thinking 3 things have happend here

1. there is another stalker on the same ground ?
2. another stalker on an adjacent ground has shot and the deer wandered into your ground ??

3. your land or the other land has poaching on it ???

either way well done for putting the beast out of its misery
the buck in question is not one i hav seen on the ground before and the ground is only 500 acres
xim
to your thinking
(1) yes there is but he don't shoot there any more as i do it all and he has adjacent ground which he now lets me manage so he is out of the equation and he always lets me know if he loses one
but i do adjoin a big estate and no-one there has yet owned up but time could tell
3 can't comment on poaching but the wound is certainlly suspect i think muddy was on the button with it being a small calibre
but a roe shot like this in the rut can move for miles as it will now keep getting chased away by other aggressive bucks and could like i say be chased from territory to territory as he will not be up for rutting with the amount of pain
yes it was a pleasing moment to know we ended such suffering

I dont think any of us will know how this buck got in this state or who did it, but I am very glad that I could put an end to its suffering.

and so you did my friend
next time can you smile for the camera:lol:
take care to you both, till the next time
stone

Well done for putting the beast out of his agony boys,and,as far as fly blow is concerned,there is enough there to finish off a full carcass........Martin.

Thats an interesting post chaps. It will certainly make me re-think a neck shot, as I would hate to think I would leave an animal in that state. Life is about experience and if you can learn from other peoples then so much the better.

Grant

The poor thing is still hanging in our fridge.
Good job there are people like you guys out there to put it out of its misery.

Sounds like the fishing was a dead loss today 222cwd or is my hubby making more excuses for coming home empty handed as usual!

Good to see that the animal was removed for obvious reasons. Hopefully, this is a lesson to new stalkers that a badly placed shot and from the wrong angle can cause horrid suffering.

A good post to learn from.

J

Back