Strange Scope with level

roedeerred

Some of you my be able to answer somthing thats been bugging me for years.
Many moons ago whilst working in OBAN area the boss had a rifle with scope on top with built in level across the bottom of the reticule.I suppose it was to stop canting.
Does anyone know what make it was and how old :?:
From memory the optics were quite good and clear even by todays standards.

I had one on my first deer rifle, if its the same one, it was a Kassnar. Mine was a good robust scope, a 6x40 'ish spec. I would have put the quality about equal to Pecar at the time. I think I paid about £150 in the mid to late '80s. It let me down once by becoming fogged but the company replaced it without hesitation. JC

i have one of those that was on a .22lr 6x42mm Kasner had a spirit level in the bottom of the reticule.....

mine is really quite cloudy optically compare to other newer scopes i have its maybe just requiring a service .

reputation wise i think they are meant to be quite reputable and good glass

mine is somewhere lying around the "gunroom" :lol:

its the only one ive seen with the level in it but of course not to say there may be more or other makes around with same

sauer

I've got a springfield amoury 10x56 with a bubble in, can't say i use it to be honest. I believe it was made by Hakko?

Here are some photos to bring back happy memories :):

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

I would actually say the optics are very clear, given the age of the scope.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Thanks guys it really does bring happy memories.I was allowed to wander round 500acres of bonnie land before and after work.stalked a sheep for 3hours there before it offered a safe shot and was near a place to extract it easily(some b---- had stolen the quad the month before) shot several Roe an odd red, soay sheep,all on there.Halfway between Oban and Fort William. they also had a cottage at port appin.Happy days.

Yes it is a Kassnar Beta 3. They are excellent scopes and I understand were made by Pecar, Berlin. I have a 3x10x42 which sits on my Air Arms S200. It is optically very good although the coatings are very soft so take great care when you clean them.I purchased mine (S/H) about 20 yrs ago from New Avon Arms, Bristol. I think it cost about £120.

It is a quality scope in that it also has an individual serial number. Mine is a first focal plane model, in that the reticule increases in size as you increase the mag.

I find on mine that the internal level is fractionally out but is consistent. I think they we marketed in the late 70-early 80's and I could dig out an old air gun world to get more details if need be.

D

Back